Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless of the current warranty issues, there will be demand for replacement batteries as these vehicles age. Tesla would be stupid not to have something people could purchase to keep their cars running. Nobody paying for a replacement pack out of pocket wants a refurbished pack. I'm sure they'll do the same in 4-5 years for Model 3s and Ys.
I don’t disagree. There will absolutely be demand for such batteries as the current stock age. But I don’t think that demand is here now. And I don’t think it is in significant numbers, or is even likely to be in significant numbers. Evidence suggests that chargegated batteries aside, the rest of them seem to be lasting pretty well.

Does it not seem surprising, that having deliberately thinned down all the various variants to one single variant, they should now do a complete 180° and start developing two new variants, just at a time when there may be many hundreds of battery claims? It might indeed just be coincidence. Sherlock Holmes' view on coincidence was that 'the universe is rarely so lazy'. I hope he is right.

Last edited:
I agree they probably sped up the replacement pack schedule due to some design issues with the old packs. What are the two new variants you mentioned? I've seen the new 85kWh pack post, but haven't seen any others.
The photo at #9937 of the 75kWh pack that started this. I am assuming it’s a new variant, as I don’t have the old part number.

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
Yet anther distraction (sorry).
I charged last night to 90% (199 miles). It completed at 3:33. Since then I have GAINED 1.8 miles (0.65kWh)! Still plugged in, but drawing no current. Pumps are NOT running and temperature about 50F in the garage.

Screenshot_20200120-064904_Chrome.jpg

20200120_070539.jpg

Last edited:
I charged last night to 90% (199 miles). It completed at 3:33. Since then I have GAINED 1.8 miles (0.65kWh)! Still plugged in, but drawing no current. Pumps are NOT running and temperature about 50F in the garage.

View attachment 502459
View attachment 502461
Please see my previous post. I believe this is in relation to Tesla having different wpm calculations for range remaining the closer/farther you get from completely full to completely discharged (also relating to usable/nominal kwh capacity). They are hiding the fact that they fudged their EPA numbers, so the car is "adding" back in those extra miles near full so that you don't claim foul.

Please see my previous post. I believe this is in relation to Tesla having different wpm calculations for range remaining the closer/farther you get from completely full to completely discharged (also relating to usable/nominal kwh capacity). They are hiding the fact that they fudged their EPA numbers, so the car is "adding" back in those extra miles near full so that you don't claim foul.
While I do agree and have posted my discovery of manipulated rated range multiplier. There has been no software update here. I don't know yet what the heck happened. I didn't have ScanMyTesla running to see what the actual kWh numbers were during and after charging.

• Informative
@ran349 Wow, that is one well-balanced and matched pack! Either you got a really good set of cells in your pack, or something you're doing is really helping to keep your pack well balanced. Can you share your typical charging habits?
Almost all my charging is at home using 240 volts/40A and UMC. Occasionally, I use destination charging at hotels which is very similar.
I have only used supercharging (DC) once, just to try it out. I don't need to use it, and from the discussions in this thread, it's probably better that I haven't for the sake of the battery's health.
I charge daily, usually going from around 40% to 80%, and occasionally 90%.
Not sure if any of that is related to my good pack balance at low SOC.

• Informative
That happens in my case sometimes, an increase in miles after charging ends. I think the BMS just overshoots, and corrects itself as the battery settles down.
However, lately with the pumps running, I have been mostly losing miles after charging. The pumps run for exactly 3 hours after charging is completed.

Almost all my charging is at home using 240 volts/40A and UMC. Occasionally, I use destination charging at hotels which is very similar.
I have only used supercharging (DC) once, just to try it out. I don't need to use it, and from the discussions in this thread, it's probably better that I haven't for the sake of the battery's health.
Actually I suspect it has a LOT to do with you not Supercharging. I find it hard not to conclude that high powered Supercharging hasn’t done something to some of our batteries. Certainly not all, but probably all the batterygate and chargegate cars. If ever my battery is replaced I shall be AC charging mostly, and restricting DC charging to the odd long journey. Tesla can advertise their new higher powered V2 and V3 Superchargers all they like, and I know a lot of owners can’t wait to start using them. Personally I think I will find them as appealing as my mother-in-law.

I've noticed one report after another on here about the 70 packs. (Maybe I just notice because that's what I have.) They seem to be real troopers - low degradation, high rated miles, decent supercharging rates. It seems like the 70 is their best model for performance and durability over the long term.

Actually I suspect it has a LOT to do with you not Supercharging. I find it hard not to conclude that high powered Supercharging hasn’t done something to some of our batteries. Certainly not all, but probably all the batterygate and chargegate cars. If ever my battery is replaced I shall be AC charging mostly, and restricting DC charging to the odd long journey. Tesla can advertise their new higher powered V2 and V3 Superchargers all they like, and I know a lot of owners can’t wait to start using them. Personally I think I will find them as appealing as my mother-in-law.
FWIW, I've got almost 9MWh of supercharging (and 11MWh of regen) vs 18MWh of AC charging (mostly 24A 14-30), and my battery is better balanced (<4mV, often <2mV) with <4% degradation.

I've noticed one report after another on here about the 70 packs. (Maybe I just notice because that's what I have.) They seem to be real troopers - low degradation, high rated miles, decent supercharging rates. It seems like the 70 is their best model for performance and durability over the long term.
SuC has been reduced by min. 20kW on out 70D (we have a V3 reman pack).
I'm not happy - we are going one a 2 x 1250km trip in 2 weeks