Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SuC has been reduced by min. 20kW on out 70D (we have a V3 reman pack).
I'm not happy - we are going one a 2 x 1250km trip in 2 weeks
Same here. It's still better than many. I can still supercharge at 100kW, although briefly. Many are reporting caps as low as 60, or even 30.
No, I'm not happy about that either, but the 70 packs are still often doing "less worse".

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Tesla Model S85 Year: 2014 Millage: 61,477
Original Owner purchased April 1, 2014

Charging max when new:
Trip-Max: 262 (100%)
Recommended -Daily 238 (90%)

As of January 20, 2020
Trip-Max: 206 (100%)
Recommended -Daily 190 (90%)

Hi David,

Thank you for your efforts in trying to resolve this issue. It’s nice I am not alone with trying to resolve this. I have experienced everything you have gone through and as of this last weekend have now experienced a new low in the battery charging performance. The spiral downward all started after the software update.

This weekend having to make a longer trip that required Super Charging I set the car at trip (100%) and was only able to get up to 206 miles at home with my Tesla home charger. Stopping at a Supercharger on the way home I was able to only get 43 miles in 45 minutes. I arrived at home with the car at 38 miles and charged at 90% last night This morning the car was at a new low 190 miles.

I want to also point out that on a recent longer trip I ran the car down to 23 miles with only 2 miles needed to reach the Supercharger. The car was not in low milage mode. I accelerated to pass another car and the Tesla prompted me to pull over and the car was shutting down. The car was towed and serviced.

I was first told from the service center the motor needed to be replaced, I found this hard to believe because as I had a new motor under warranty as 3 years ago installed. Then I was told it was not the motor but the main battery, which I thought seemed to be the issue. Then on the last call from the service center I was told it was not the main battery but the 12 volt battery. The last time the 12 volt was replaced was about 2.5 years ago and there was a warning on my instrument cluster stating that it was in need of replacement. No warning appeared this time.

My car has the extended 4 year warranty and I was charged for the 12 volt battery replacement. As a kind gesture they waived the towing charge. This was in late November 2019 and since then the charging capacity has really began to diminish.

I have read and concluded on my own that the reason the car shut down from various posts and am convinced there is something seriously wrong with the main battery. I have an appointment with my local service center next week to review the cars charging ability and performance.

My question is as a California resident am I automatically represented in your class action law suit and would receive the benefits of justice against Tesla if your were to succeed?

Thank you
Skipper

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
I don’t think it was your 12V battery that caused the car to shut down. When your range indicator showed 23 miles it was probably a red color. Your sudden acceleration resulted in a large energy demand on the HV battery which was likely greater than the battery could supply (or was greater than the car electronics thought could be safely provided). As a result, the car shut down.

When the range indicator turns red, I am very gentle with the accelerator pedal in order to avoid any large energy drainage in the battery. I had one occasion where I was “short” on battery range due to the voltage capping of my battery. Due to unanticipated weather and traffic conditions, my range indicator hit 0 about 2 miles before the supercharger location. I drove at 25 mph those 2 miles and accelerated liked a very very old driver, and got there without the car shutting down. I’m certain if I had pressed the accelerator pedal to accelerate as I normally do (and most people do), the car would have shut down.

Tesla Model S85 Year: 2014 Millage: 61,477
Original Owner purchased April 1, 2014

Charging max when new:
Trip-Max: 262 (100%)
Recommended -Daily 238 (90%)

As of January 20, 2020
Trip-Max: 206 (100%)
Recommended -Daily 190 (90%)

Hi David,

Thank you for your efforts in trying to resolve this issue. It’s nice I am not alone with trying to resolve this. I have experienced everything you have gone through and as of this last weekend have now experienced a new low in the battery charging performance. The spiral downward all started after the software update.

This weekend having to make a longer trip that required Super Charging I set the car at trip (100%) and was only able to get up to 206 miles at home with my Tesla home charger. Stopping at a Supercharger on the way home I was able to only get 43 miles in 45 minutes. I arrived at home with the car at 38 miles and charged at 90% last night This morning the car was at a new low 190 miles.

I want to also point out that on a recent longer trip I ran the car down to 23 miles with only 2 miles needed to reach the Supercharger. The car was not in low milage mode. I accelerated to pass another car and the Tesla prompted me to pull over and the car was shutting down. The car was towed and serviced.

I was first told from the service center the motor needed to be replaced, I found this hard to believe because as I had a new motor under warranty as 3 years ago installed. Then I was told it was not the motor but the main battery, which I thought seemed to be the issue. Then on the last call from the service center I was told it was not the main battery but the 12 volt battery. The last time the 12 volt was replaced was about 2.5 years ago and there was a warning on my instrument cluster stating that it was in need of replacement. No warning appeared this time.

My car has the extended 4 year warranty and I was charged for the 12 volt battery replacement. As a kind gesture they waived the towing charge. This was in late November 2019 and since then the charging capacity has really began to diminish.

I have read and concluded on my own that the reason the car shut down from various posts and am convinced there is something seriously wrong with the main battery. I have an appointment with my local service center next week to review the cars charging ability and performance.

My question is as a California resident am I automatically represented in your class action law suit and would receive the benefits of justice against Tesla if your were to succeed?

Thank you
Skipper
My money is on you getting the "Max charge limiting" warning in the near future, which appears to be the key to a new battery. Hopefully you'll hit the lottery and get it sooner rather than later.

Edit: Make sure you are on the latest firmware version which includes their "new diagnostics" tools.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
One of the things I noticed when I had TM-Spy hooked up and was driving around was that under acceleration, the car does not pull uniformly from all the modules--instead, it would pull from a subset. I would imagine if, at a low SoC, the car tried to pull from my bad modules, things would not go well. Perhaps something like that happened to @skipperwi

IMG_0177.png

One of the things I noticed when I had TM-Spy hooked up and was driving around was that under acceleration, the car does not pull uniformly from all the modules--instead, it would pull from a subset. I would imagine if, at a low SoC, the car tried to pull from my bad modules, things would not go well. Perhaps something like that happened to @skipperwi

View attachment 502590

It can't pull from specific modules. It always pulls from all of them as they are wired in series. The CANbus reporting has lag and isn't real-time...

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and DJRas
I see Tesla has released an official response to the unintended acceleration NHTSA petition within just a few days of the initial media coverage. There is no “unintended acceleration” in Tesla vehicles

Interesting that they haven't responded at all to the battery NHTSA petition that I am aware of. Guessing that one isn't as easy to dismiss so silence is the better response.

I wonder if the pending litigation also helped move things along...?

The accounting department weighs in:

The recent software update that started revealing terminally ill batteries (thank you, Droschke!) was probably in the works shortly after the dreaded 2019.16 update that started this discussion. Perhaps the litigation catalyzed the completion of this update.

My cynical side thinks that Tesla will try to persuade the mediator that they have fixed our problems with this software update. Those that have terminally ill batteries within the warranty period will get them replaced. (See! we honor our warranties!) Those of us in purgatory will not realize any benefits unless we receive the error message or we are victorious in court.

Tesla will try to evade any safety concerns by showing that the new software eliminates any danger of battery fire. While there are ample strong arguments demonstrating Tesla's nonfeasance and malfeasance, Tesla will have counter arguments. The mediator will evaluate these arguments, evidence, and other probative information to determine which side has a greater chance of prevailing in a trial. In addition, I think the chronically slow Supercharging speeds will be eliminated from the complaints. I think we are stuck with them as long as we have the original batteries in our cars.

I hope that I am wrong. I hope that Tesla is earnest in curing these issues with our batteries. But it seems like quite the long shot that everyone with reduced Supercharging rates in addition to the smaller subset of us with voltage capping will all receive new batteries. Tesla is going to have to draw the line somewhere.

Tesla will try to evade any safety concerns by showing that the new software eliminates any danger of battery fire. While there are ample strong arguments demonstrating Tesla's nonfeasance and malfeasance, Tesla will have counter arguments. The mediator will evaluate these arguments, evidence, and other probative information to determine which side has a greater chance of prevailing in a trial. In addition, I think the chronically slow Supercharging speeds will be eliminated from the complaints. I think we are stuck with them as long as we have the original batteries in our cars.

I thought a mediator only facilitated negotiation they didn't actually decide anything. (That would be arbitration.) In this case @DJRas, and his lawyer, would decide the fate of the meditation.

Reactions: bhzmark
While I do agree and have posted my discovery of manipulated rated range multiplier. There has been no software update here. I don't know yet what the heck happened. I didn't have ScanMyTesla running to see what the actual kWh numbers were during and after charging.
Correct, I documented this myself at least 18 months ago with a 1 million line CSV dump and a straight 254 mile trip. But I believe the circumstances of adding back in the range depend on if and how far below 20% you've gone on the previous charge.

• Informative

View attachment 502590

This is not correct. All 96 modules are in series and power is only drawn from the entire series.

Even though power is drawn from the entire series, each module in the series has a probe to measure voltage. But voltage is not measured simultaneously from all modules at the same time but rather in groups. Each group is measured one after another which means that as the load changes, the voltage you see will not be the same between groups of cells.

I thought a mediator only facilitated negotiation they didn't actually decide anything. (That would be arbitration.) In this case @DJRas, and his lawyer, would decide the fate of the meditation.

That's correct. There's almost no point in going to mediation. You can bypass mediation and go straight to arbitration. I learned my lesson back in 2002 on this very point.

• Informative
That's correct. There's almost no point in going to mediation. You can bypass mediation and go straight to arbitration. I learned my lesson back in 2002 on this very point.

This is different, in that the court prefers that you go to mediation before going to trial.

I'm not aware of any mediation offered that isn't related to law suits. There are two arbitration options: non-binding and binding. (Though both are binding on Tesla.) You can skip the non-binding arbitration and go straight to the binding arbitration if you prefer, but I'm not sure I understand why you would want to, it gives you an additional chance to get what you want and still costs you nothing other than your time.

Reactions: bhzmark
I haven’t had a firmware update on the P90DX since November 19 with 40.2.1. The “High Voltage Battery Diagnostics Improvements“ Are in with 40.2.3? Wonder if they are taking a pause because of the number of flagged batteries.

FWIW, I've got almost 9MWh of supercharging (and 11MWh of regen) vs 18MWh of AC charging (mostly 24A 14-30), and my battery is better balanced (<4mV, often <2mV) with <4% degradation.
Indeed. With all the posts about problems it is easy to forget that the vast majority of owners are fine. But clearly there are some cars that aren't. And no-one really knows why.