Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thinking proactive/diy approach, has anyone investigated or attempted replacing modules with relatively low voltages across all SoC? There are several hurdles to accessing the pack: dropping out, opening, restoring seals against waterproofing.
The BMS has to play some role in capping the pack. I’d like to know if the BMS is reactive to changes in modules beyond SuC counts and rec/disch cycle count.
I wouldn’t be able to experiment with the pack until I replace my eMMC in my MCU1 and root it. The last thing I want is the MCU to go out and then be cash strapped to work on the pack.

Removing the top of the battery case usually damages it. Maybe if you have some sort of thin hot wire or knife to slice cleanly through the adhesive. Plus a bunch of other issues once you actually get it open. Not impossible but you'd be better off just getting a complete pack from a salvaged vehicle.

Just thinking proactive/diy approach, has anyone investigated or attempted replacing modules with relatively low voltages across all SoC? .

Impossible. Opening the pack causes to much damage. But even if you could seal it up again, Jason said he has been dealing with countless battery modules from Tesla. He said among all he came cross not one module from one battery would be able to be matched with another battery.

Reactions: Droschke
Impossible. Opening the pack causes to much damage. But even if you could seal it up again, Jason said he has been dealing with countless battery modules from Tesla. He said among all he came cross not one module from one battery would be able to be matched with another battery.

David - How does Tesla remanufacture these packs? I would like to know what specifically being remanufactured. The reman packs are obviously not new.

David - How does Tesla remanufacture these packs? I would like to know what specifically being remanufactured. The reman packs are obviously not new.

Good question. Only Tesla knows. Knowing how difficult it is to open and re-seal a battery pack and how hard it is to find matching modules, I assume it's just batteries from old loaner cars or trade ins cars. Anything else would cause way too much work. At least that's my best guess.

Good question. Only Tesla knows. Knowing how difficult it is to open and re-seal a battery pack and how hard it is to find matching modules, I assume it's just batteries from old loaner cars or trade ins cars. Anything else would cause way too much work. At least that's my best guess.

They used to provide loaner packs while your pack was repaired and returned to you. They stopped that but I assume they still open and repair them. They have me pays so damaging the cover opening it isn't a problem.

BTW, Tesla does not give one bit about those early adopters getting upset. Even if every single owner from the first 2-3 years would be affected and unhappy and never buy a Tesla again. Back then Tesla made like 2000 car per month. Today Tesla is making that many in a single day. In less than one month Tesla is selling more cars, creating more new happy & excited owners than the entire first 3 years. If Tesla is loosing all of the early adopters, within one month they are more than made up for. With the Model Y hitting the streets it's even less time. As much as we think it's so bad for Tesla to have battery issues with the early car, it really isn't going to affect them one bit. The only ting that could affect them is if this issue goes 'viral' on social media and the press. That could have a negative impact on sales. But honestly, the massive amount of new and excited owners every day will drown even that down quickly. Look how little Apple was affected by all their issues over the years. Bad reception when you 'hold it wrong', slowing phones down due to fading batteries. Samsung had one phone light up on fire and it didn't affect them either. This #batterygate thing will not affect Tesla and they know it. That's why they are not doing anything about it.

Usually not Module (Battery) level refurbishment. It could be a BMS board, contactor or some other component they replace and reseal. As others have said, matching cells and modules are difficult to match.

• Helpful
Reactions: JRP3 and Droschke
BTW, Tesla does not give one bit about those early adopters getting upset. Even if every single owner from the first 2-3 years would be affected and unhappy and never buy a Tesla again. Back then Tesla made like 2000 car per month. Today Tesla is making that many in a single day. In less than one month Tesla is selling more cars, creating more new happy & excited owners than the entire first 3 years. If Tesla is loosing all of the early adopters, within one month they are more than made up for. With the Model Y hitting the streets it's even less time. As much as we think it's so bad for Tesla to have battery issues with the early car, it really isn't going to affect them one bit. The only ting that could affect them is if this issue goes 'viral' on social media and the press. That could have a negative impact on sales. But honestly, the massive amount of new and excited owners every day will drown even that down quickly. Look how little Apple was affected by all their issues over the years. Bad reception when you 'hold it wrong', slowing phones down due to fading batteries. Samsung had one phone light up on fire and it didn't affect them either. This #batterygate thing will not affect Tesla and they know it. That's why they are not doing anything about it.
An ‘agree’ for this post. Not a ‘like’...

I just wish they disclosed this at the time of purchase. I paid close to 100k and everyone at Tesla showroom was singing praises of their battery technology. They definitely got me.

Knowing what I know now, no chance in hell I would’ve bought the car. “Do you want to spend $97,000 for a car that will become impractical to take on road trips after 4 years?” Ability to do road trips in a reasonable time was one of the main differentiators and the reason we even considered EV as our main car in the first place.

What Tesla has pulled is unconscionable! They’ve forgotten who supported them the most when they needed support the most.

You are so right. The amount of youtubers bringing this issue forward is so incredibly small. And of course Tesla has made sure that youtubers that got affected by this got replacement packs immediately. Only a flood of bad press, lawsuits and investigation inquiries to relevant consumer/product safety organisations will start bothering Tesla. If we can make this happen, we will have the pleasure seeing Elon personally apologising, with some ridiculous excuse no doubt, to us. I am personally already in a relentless crusade down that path. Preparing for a lawsuit hopefully on EU level (already gave heads up to the service center), and less importantly, getting in 30 mins monologues with every naive non-Tesla owner and even dare (brave) bother Electrek funboys and Elon himself on Twitter

Last edited:

Just curious, as a youtuber, is there any reason you have not dedicated a video on the batterygate subject? I looked at your channel and can't find any video titled as such!

Unfortunately, seems to be very true. There is a long list of company actions that support this statement, not just battery capping (see this morning's news on sale of 3 in China). I could understand some actions (not all) if they made cars that cost 20k, but not at 80k+. For comparison, buy another luxury car which costs 80k+, and I do not think you will be treated like a dummy when you say something's not working properly, or something is missing from your car feature list. I say dummy to be more PC, but some of the answers in particular for battery capping have been downright insulting.
Personally, I'm willing to deal with things not quite working well here and there, AND getting fixed eventually. I would still say that MS was only their second car - try comparing that with any other car company's second car relative to its marketplace. But I'm NOT ok with being treated as I am now, so hence, I am not even giving one thought to X or Y, which were on our list for this year.

Just curious, as a youtuber, is there any reason you have not dedicated a video on the batterygate subject? I looked at your channel and can't find any video titled as such!
I have asked myself this question many times, channels suck as Like Tesla, Now You Know, Andy Slye, Two Bit Davinci, Teslanomic, and ETC all have a platform to make more aware of this issue. Some have touched on in a bit but none have gone in depth on the concerns of those effected.

Reactions: Droschke
I wonder if they are using recent chemistry cells/modules. It would be quite daft of them to use old school 18650 cells after all these years.
On a 2014 car it only has to last until 2022 to make it out of warranty. Two years should be fairly easy for a freshly remanned pack even with older tech cells in it. I hate to by cynical, but that is what I would expect out of any manufacturer.

@islandbayy, not to single out @David99, you are also a youtuber. The same question to you as well :)
Planning on it. I've had to delay slightly, as I have a certain amount of service credits I don't want to disappear before I can fully use them. About $2500 left, so most likely going to upgrade my MX to MCU2, once thats done, I'm done with everything that Tesla still owes me after years and years and years of trying to get them to fulfill the Referral Rewards.... And I'm not happy either. I'm at 2 1/2 hrs to get a charge on my MX 75D which is on Firmware 10.1 My MS90D on firmware 8.1, while restricted to 94kW charge rate max, still gets a full charge from 0-100% in 2 hrs.

Two years should be fairly easy for a freshly remanned pack even with older tech cells in it

It's not like there is a fundamental issue for old or re-manufactured packs.
Our 2013 Tesla S85 pack is 97% original capacity after 7 years and 140000 km.
The pack (and it's cells) are holding up exceedingly well.
After 570 pages of this thread, you'd think all old packs are doomed, but that is not statistically the case, and not by a long shot.