Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SmartElectric , care to comment on why you disagree with my statement that the P85DL makes 1525 amps????

Read your post again. You wrote 15000 amps. For someone who is aggressively replying to statements in this thread, it would be wise to double check what you write. Your vendetta is clear and I don’t have a horse in that race, but I suggest your accuracy matters given your frequency of posting.

Read your post again. You wrote 15000 amps. For someone who is aggressively replying to statements in this thread, it would be wise to double check what you write. Your vendetta is clear and I don’t have a horse in that race, but I suggest your accuracy matters given your frequency of posting.

You pushed disagree because of a typo????

My 2013 P85 was subjected to a forced updated on June 15 from version 8.1 to version 9 (2019.16.3.2). My car has a little under 61K miles and is typically charged to 89%.

Under version 8.1, my car consistently charged to an indicated range of 227 miles at 89% (which extrapolates to 255 miles of range at a 100% charge). In this regard, Remote S (known known as Tesla Remote) indicated the battery capacity to be 74 kWh. The first time I charged after the forced update (Friday, June 21), the 89% charge indicated a range of 221 mikes with a battery capacity of 73 kWh. Today (Sunday, June 23), the 89% charge indicates a range of 218 miles with a battery capacity of 72 kWh (which extrapolates to 244 miles at a 100% charge). So in 8 days, having driven 230 miles and charged 2 times (both to 89%), I have lost 9 miles of range at 89% charge and 2 kWh of available battery capacity. Extrapolating to 100% charge, I have lost 11 miles of range at a 100% charge.

So my questions are:
1) is this an intentional reduction or a software bug that Tesla will correct, or
2) is this an indication of battery failure. I understand normal degradation if the battery but the rapid loss of range over a short time does not seem to me to equate to battery degradation.

What can I do?

Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Good, so at least they haven't cut down peak power. There's still some concern that they've change the power curve resulting in less power early on but we'd only be able to determine that comparing curves of similarly charged cars with similar battery temperatures.

275 volts is great for a 90F battery. Max battery ready would show about 299 volts if you had a nearly new battery at 1525 amps at 90%. 95% doesn't seem to make a difference vs 90%.[

That is good news. I guess my car is functioning normally.
I don’t have a 1/4 mile drag strip nearby, at least 40 or 50 miles, will have to see if any have EV chargers available.

My 2013 P85 was subjected to a forced updated on June 15 from version 8.1 to version 9 (2019.16.3.2). My car has a little under 61K miles and is typically charged to 89%.

Under version 8.1, my car consistently charged to an indicated range of 227 miles at 89% (which extrapolates to 255 miles of range at a 100% charge). In this regard, Remote S (known known as Tesla Remote) indicated the battery capacity to be 74 kWh. The first time I charged after the forced update (Friday, June 21), the 89% charge indicated a range of 221 mikes with a battery capacity of 73 kWh. Today (Sunday, June 23), the 89% charge indicates a range of 218 miles with a battery capacity of 72 kWh (which extrapolates to 244 miles at a 100% charge). So in 8 days, having driven 230 miles and charged 2 times (both to 89%), I have lost 9 miles of range at 89% charge and 2 kWh of available battery capacity. Extrapolating to 100% charge, I have lost 11 miles of range at a 100% charge.

So my questions are:
1) is this an intentional reduction or a software bug that Tesla will correct, or
2) is this an indication of battery failure. I understand normal degradation if the battery but the rapid loss of range over a short time does not seem to me to equate to battery degradation.

What can I do?

Thanks

You will probably continue to lose range if you lost that much after the first charge. The change was intentional as confirmed by Tesla in the Electrek article.

What can you do? Complain to Tesla and tell them this is unacceptable. Be prepared to call them on any BS excuse where the say it's just more accurately estimating range. This issue has nothing to do with estimating range. What they are doing is locking you out of charging to the range you have and lying about the displayed SOC saying that 100% is 100% when it's really less.

1) Complain to Tesla.
2) Complain on Social media. Tweet it and get as many followers as you can.
3) Complain to any news sources who will listen.
4) Start preparing to litigate the issue.

• Love
Reactions: sdoorex and DJRas

So my questions are:

What can I do?

Thanks

Ask for 2019.20.2.1 to update, that may solve your problem

You will probably continue to lose range if you lost that much after the first charge. The change was intentional as confirmed by Tesla in the Electrek article.

What can you do? Complain to Tesla and tell them this is unacceptable. Be prepared to call them on any BS excuse where the say it's just more accurately estimating range. This issue has nothing to do with estimating range. What they are doing is locking you out of charging to the range you have and lying about the displayed SOC saying that 100% is 100% when it's really less.

1) Complain to Tesla.
2) Complain on Social media. Tweet it and get as many followers as you can.
3) Complain to any news sources who will listen.
4) Start preparing to litigate the issue.
This is exactly why I contacted Electrek.
Get it publicized.
Make people aware.
If you have your gauge set to percentage then this is harder for people to detect.

Just posting to add a couple of data points for two MS70's, one apparently showing reduced range, the other not.
Both RWD, built late 2015/early 2016 (delivered at end of Q1 2016 - in the UK).

My stats:
MS70 RWD
mileage ~25,000 (mi)
100% range when new: 225 (UK, Typical Miles)
100% range pre-2019.16.1.1: 219
100% range post-2019.16.1.1: 219 (unchanged)

I've contact the other owner to ask if I can post similar data for their car, but in summary they have seen a 11% range decrease following the 2019.16.1.1 software update. They are also noticing increased (doubled) standby drain and higher consumption on short trips.

No data loggers: stats are from trip/energy displays. (I'm charging to 80%/90% and extrapolating to 100%).

@Droschke not sure if this is detailed enough to be worth logging in the Google spreadsheet?

Just posting to add a couple of data points for two MS70's, one apparently showing reduced range, the other not.
Both RWD, built late 2015/early 2016 (delivered at end of Q1 2016 - in the UK).

My stats:
MS70 RWD
mileage ~25,000 (mi)
100% range when new: 225 (UK, Typical Miles)
100% range pre-2019.16.1.1: 219
100% range post-2019.16.1.1: 219 (unchanged)

I've contact the other owner to ask if I can post similar data for their car, but in summary they have seen a 11% range decrease following the 2019.16.1.1 software update. They are also noticing increased (doubled) standby drain and higher consumption on short trips.

No data loggers: stats are from trip/energy displays. (I'm charging to 80%/90% and extrapolating to 100%).

@Droschke not sure if this is detailed enough to be worth logging in the Google spreadsheet?

Glad you aren't impacted so far. No need to record in the Gsheet if you have no loss. Those you mentioned with 11% decrease should.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdoorex and cezdoc
Everybody mentioning Gsheet.... where is it?

Without having to read the whole thread... please include hyperlink whenever you mention Gsheet, and you'll get more participants.

I have a datapoint I'd like to add for 2014 S85 on original battery... 16.3 software is showing me 403km@99% extrapolates to 407@100%, which is 20km degradation from new 427km rated. Or 4.6% degradation in the 5 years since built.

Less than 5% in 5 years is amazing, and I'm in Canada daily driving from brutal -40*C winters up to +30*C summers. Lifetime average driving efficiency is about 200 Wh/km.

I supercharge weekly to 90%. I've had the car at 100% maybe 25 times in its life, and gone below 10% maybe 20 times. I plug in daily at work at 120V and trickle charge 2kW all day. At night at home I don't charge at all.

Last edited:
Everybody mentioning Gsheet.... where is it?

Without having to read the whole thread... please include hyperlink whenever you mention Gsheet, and you'll get more participants.

I have a datapoint I'd like to add for 2014 S85 on original battery... 16.3 software is showing me 403km@99% extrapolates to 407@100%, which is 20km degradation from new 427km rated. Or 4.6% degradation in the 5 years since built.

It's here

As of June 16 my batter capacity has leveled off at 61.9 kWh (usable full pack not including the 4 kWh buffer) or about 212 miles rated range. This is down 12% from May 16 at about 71 kWh (or about 241 miles RR) before the 2019.16.1.1 firmware update. Overall the capacity is down 19% since new. Current firmware is 2019.20.2.1
Posted to Gsheet.

As of June 16 my batter capacity has leveled off at 61.9 kWh (usable full pack not including the 4 kWh buffer) or about 212 miles rated range. This is down 12% from May 16 at about 71 kWh (or about 241 miles RR) before the 2019.16.1.1 firmware update. Overall the capacity is down 19% since new. Current firmware is 2019.20.2.1
Posted to Gsheet.

Wow, 19% degradation since new for a 4 years old P85DL is significant.

Brought the car in today at Tesla. Got the same excuse regarding the loss of range from the representative, I’ve not lost the range (51km), it’s just the way the car calculates it. Told him about the battery not charging to 4,2 volts, but got no response to that.

I’m nearing the 20% loss mark since new and Tesla says its all fine. Anyway they’re going to perform a battery capacity test. Keep you posted...

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke