Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did not mean switching between % and miles on your display. Meant the % you have charge to, on the charging app screen where you set your charge % limit.
I'm not sure to what you referring. FWIW, I did check the reported distance today — at 85% it's showing a range of 189 miles, which would calculate to ~222 miles full charge; I also rechecked the full-charge capacity while supercharging today (which again was capped at 60 kW, though it could be a faulty supercharger — one of the plugs was out of order), and it's now down to ~66.75 kWh… but my rate of charge doesn't drop off nearly as quickly as it used to — I was still pulling in 58 kW at 80%.

Looks like we've got a graduated soft cap being applied here; who wants to limbo? How low… will it go? :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Allow me to lump myself in…

2012 Model S Signature Edition — original 85 kWh pack w/~65k miles on it, went from ~76 kWH full charge as recently as a couple months ago to ~71 kWH a couple weeks ago. Just as troubling for me, if not moreso: whereas previously I could charge upwards of ~95% and still have full regen, now I start losing regen somewhere in the low-to-mid-80s — haven't quite narrowed it down yet.

Also potentially worth noting: I started seeing 60 kW max supercharging within the last month or so, though that spontaneously went away within the last week.

Sorry but that is just not possible.
That basically means your old values would state that you had NO degradation. On a 2012 car ;)
71kwh is perfectly fine.

Reactions: David99
Sorry but that is just not possible.
That basically means your old values would state that you had NO degradation. On a 2012 car ;)
71kwh is perfectly fine.
I had a little — it was around 77-78 kWh when I first got the car not-quite-2 years ago with a little under 43k miles on it, and was around 75-76 kWh (75.8 if memory serves) when last I checked sometime in April after having put on another 22k miles; that it dropped to 71.2 within the span of a month and a half, then to 66.75 another 2 weeks later (who knows how much further it has yet to go) is neither perfect nor fine, but at least there's some semblance of a rationale behind it.

Last edited:
The battery had probably been replaced. What is odometer on the battery?
Good point — it is an original battery pack (limited to 90 kW supercharging and all), but the original battery pack? They told me it hadn't been replaced, but who knows… I certainly don't know how to check the battery pack's odometer — I presume there's special equipment and/or a service (which requires my Tesla credentials) that could read that?

Reactions: neroden
Interestingly, after not being able to charge beyond 97% three times, last night I reached 100%. I did not experience the same 2kW or so slow charging beyond 95%.
Note the pack and cell voltages below. The data is from a few minutes after completing the charge. The pack also seems to have gained a kWh or so from a few days ago.

18522C4B-F06B-4309-BAD1-58129A1D3BFC.png

Interestingly, after not being able to charge beyond 97% three times, last night I reached 100%. I did not experience the same 2kW or so slow charging beyond 95%.
Note the pack and cell voltages below. The data is from a few minutes after completing the charge. The pack also seems to have gained a kWh or so from a few days ago.

View attachment 423512

After supercharging or home charging?

@2019.20.1.1?

My car stalled at 1kW and 96% last monday, like yours. After updating to 2019.20.1 (from the ominous 2019.16.2) my car exactly replicated your most recent behaviour. Supercharging to 99% now yields 328 km.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Icer
My car stalled at 1kW and 96% last monday, like yours. After updating to 2019.20.1 (from the ominous 2019.16.2) my car exactly replicated your most recent behaviour. Supercharging to 99% now yields 328 km.
I just installed 2019.20.2.1 and SC this morning to 90%
I got no added range back (didn't expect it)
I did see limited initial charge current. I used to get 105kW or so, today it went to about 85kW before settling at 74kW

Dropbox - 20190626_071958.mp4 - Simplify your life

Last edited:

View attachment 423512

That cell voltage at 100% is really 85%.

I just installed 2019.20.2.1 and SC this morning to 90%
I got no added range back (didn't expect it)
I did see limited initial charge current. I used to get 105kW or so, today it went to about 85kW before settling at 74kW

Dropbox - 20190626_071958.mp4 - Simplify your life
Sounds similar to my experience. Prior to 2019.16.x firmware, I was getting throttled Supercharging. Then it appears 16.x opened that back up when I think they bumped up the Supercharging rates to 150kW. Now it appears it has stepped down again after 20.x. My SoC wasn't as low as I liked and I was having problems with it displaying properly on my screens so that could have affected what I was seeing. Will know next time I SC with lower SoC.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden