Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was something terribly wrong with the car that caught on fire. It's not a general battery issue. If it was, Tesla would starts fires everywhere, but they don't. This isn't a battery aging issue, or cooling issue. The vast majority of old cars are doing just fine and have no loss of range by software.
It is totally speculative speculative that the software is a reaction to the fire. It is also irrelevant what the problem is. Tesla blocking a good part of the battery capacity off from use is the issue. Let Tesla do the explaining. Whatever the potential problem might be, it is something Tesla needs to fix rather than crippling cars they do not own.

It is totally speculative speculative that the software is a reaction to the fire. It is also irrelevant what the problem is. Tesla blocking a good part of the battery capacity off from use is the issue. Let Tesla do the explaining. Whatever the potential problem might be, it is something Tesla needs to fix rather than crippling cars they do not own.
Agreed it is speculative to be tying the MS85 battery fires to the battery capacity limiting software update. The problem is Tesla's position is to "preserve battery life". No one is buying that. It is the lack of clear communication of what problem they are solving to the point where most on this forum believe Tesla is outright lying to us. Limiting battery capacity is huge. It effects all of us in many ways that has been detailed here at length. It smacks of Tesla ducking their warranty obligation for both reasons. Extending battery life by limiting battery capacity means they don't have to replace the batteries in 8 years. Limiting battery capacity to prevent fires is an obvious safety reason as well as a warranty obligation. The only reason that will get Tesla to act on their warranty obligation will be safety. They have been lying to us about "normal" degradation to the point it is insulting us as owners. Tesla will not be telling the truth, unless we uncover some key data points and hold them accountable for the safety issue. Otherwise plan on living with our reduced battery capacity that Tesla will not return to us.

Has it been determined how Tesla determined which cars are affected?

No. We all want to know.

... and they then limit battery capacity on those cars “for safety”...

The have not mentioned the word "safety" unless you infer from the statement made in this electrek article:

Tesla told us that the goal of the update is to “protect the battery and improve battery longevity” and it resulted in a range loss for only “a small percentage of owners.”

The Tesla technical support responses have not mentioned the "safety" factor either. They have mentioned we probably have been driving with our windows down.

Disclaimer: I'm not, in any shape or form, advocating the Tesla technical support should furlough their staff or they should not be allowed to work and not release the fruits of their labor ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: neroden and Guy V
Agreed it is speculative to be tying the MS85 battery fires to the battery capacity limiting software update. The problem is Tesla's position is to "preserve battery life". No one is buying that. It is the lack of clear communication of what problem they are solving to the point where most on this forum believe Tesla is outright lying to us. Limiting battery capacity is huge. It effects all of us in many ways that has been detailed here at length. It smacks of Tesla ducking their warranty obligation for both reasons. Extending battery life by limiting battery capacity means they don't have to replace the batteries in 8 years. Limiting battery capacity to prevent fires is an obvious safety reason as well as a warranty obligation. The only reason that will get Tesla to act on their warranty obligation will be safety. They have been lying to us about "normal" degradation to the point it is insulting us as owners. Tesla will not be telling the truth, unless we uncover some key data points and hold them accountable for the safety issue. Otherwise plan on living with our reduced battery capacity that Tesla will not return to us.
While it is speculative that Tesla has downgraded cars to dodge the warranty and "fires in the news" events, this is not the first time it has happened. They did this with the early UMC melting problems. In that case, the software downgrade they mandated, drops the charge from 40A to 30A at any slight voltage drop the car senses.

Once somebody gets away with an unwanted behavior, the likelihood of similar continued behavior goes up exponentially...

This charging voltage drop to protect UMC sucks. My shop is 200' from my service on the house, of course there is going to be voltage drop. So now I am stuck with 30a max charging.

Can you explain this more? The UMC can't drop the voltage. If your voltage dropped, it's because you have a wiring problem somewhere.

I see no real degraded battery life in my 2013 P85+ under 2019.24.4 :)

upload_2019-7-28_21-39-17.jpeg

I see you are showing a 6 years old CPO with only 56K miles and with only 8 miles (3%) loss since new.

Is this with the original battery?

Yes, with the original battery. I do have three other cars and have only a two mile trip to work each day. My Tesla, since I’ve had since 2016, has made multiple trips to souther California and an extended trip to Tennessee in the time I’ve had it. Original owner was from Denver, CO.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
There have been a few posts in this thread about increased vampire drain being related to all this. Has that been conclusively demonstrated? If so, we should add it to your most excellent summary.

In my case, vampire drain is now anywhere from 6-12 miles a day, which seems high. However, I wasn't keeping track before the update, so I can't say for certain whether the update caused that.
Mine has gone up to that range as well.
I did notice that the cooling pump seems to be going off more often at night. The alarming part is that it is NOT plugged in and NOT charging, so WHY would it need to keep cycling the vents and run the pump and the fan?
Is there something in the pack heating up (like a rogue battery) that we NEED to know about?
Has anyone left their scan tool connected all night (with the car unplugged) to see what it is up to?

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V