Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there really rules preventing OTA updates because it takes away work from dealers?

Yes, manufacturers are not allowed to service cars, and sending an OTA update to them is considered servicing the car.

Why would a dealer that normally gets paid 1-2 hours of labor for every software update want to give that up and allow the OEM to do it via OTA? That is their bread-and-butter work.

Edit: It isn't a law or regulation that prevents it, it is the contracts the OEMs have with their dealers.

Last edited:

It will be interesting to see the outcome of that. But the main point is about normal degradation, as this happened before the latest capping. And it seems to me to be clearly not covered under warranty so I think they will lose that portion. The portion about the buyer's guide and certification report they might win on. (And this might be part of why Tesla ended the CPO program and started just selling used cars.)

It will be interesting to see the outcome of that. But the main point is about normal degradation, as this happened before the latest capping. And it seems to me to be clearly not covered under warranty so I think they will lose that portion. The portion about the buyer's guide and certification report they might win on. (And this might be part of why Tesla ended the CPO program and started just selling used cars.)
I think that depends on how much energy the BMS reports. If it's reporting minimal degradation and the plaintiff just has a lead foot, then I doubt this will go anywhere. If battery energy capacity is actually down to 80% and the car doesn't have many miles, they might have a shot.

I wonder if the software update to restrict the maximum cell voltage by Tesla was actually even necessary...

In two years of ownership, I have probably only charged to 100% on two (or possibly three) occasions - and always on journeys when I actually needed the range. Therefore the cell voltages would have been reduced immediately after the charge finished by driving as I continued on my journey.

This implies that my charging behaviour was already in line with what Tesla has achieved with the software lock, and therefore that the cell capacity restriction is largely unnecessary... for my particular usage at least.

If it is in fact dangerous (cell fire due to dendrites) to charge to the full (4.2V ?) cell capacity, then that would seem to be a warranty issue which would require the pack to be replaced on safety grounds.

If I wanted a MS70 I would have bought one... but I did not because I wanted the range of the MS85 instead!

Does anyone know the cost of software unlocking a 75KWH pack to 90KWH? Because I estimate that this probably equates to the compensation amount owed by Tesla for capping my MS85 (was 77KWH) to the equivalent of a Model S70 (now 68KWH)

• Love
Reactions: sorka
I wonder if the software update to restrict the maximum cell voltage by Tesla was actually even necessary...

In two years of ownership, I have probably only charged to 100% on two (or possibly three) occasions - and always on journeys when I actually needed the range. Therefore the cell voltages would have been reduced immediately after the charge finished by driving as I continued on my journey.

This implies that my charging behaviour was already in line with what Tesla has achieved with the software lock, and therefore that the cell capacity restriction is largely unnecessary... for my particular usage at least.

If it is in fact dangerous (cell fire due to dendrites) to charge to the full (4.2V ?) cell capacity, then that would seem to be a warranty issue which would require the pack to be replaced on safety grounds.

If I wanted a MS70 I would have bought one... but I did not because I wanted the range of the MS85 instead!

Does anyone know the cost of software unlocking a 75KWH pack to 90KWH? Because I estimate that this probably equates to the compensation amount owed by Tesla for capping my MS85 (was 77KWH) to the equivalent of a Model S70 (now 68KWH)
I have heard about 5,000 but let others confirm. I honestly don’t want money I want my battery cap taken off or replaced.

There have been a few posts in this thread about increased vampire drain being related to all this. Has that been conclusively demonstrated? If so, we should add it to your most excellent summary.

In my case, vampire drain is now anywhere from 6-12 miles a day, which seems high. However, I wasn't keeping track before the update, so I can't say for certain whether the update caused that.
My vampire drain has been 12 miles a day but last night I got an update (a navigation update) after I let the car close to my Wifi (took 3 hours do download!)
I then was so tired of the drain I turned OFF data sharing with Tesla (Under Security Menu) and have not seen Vampire Drain for the last 15 hours.
I am thinking that Tesla is running all kinds of tests or collecting data related to that sudden loss of range?

My vampire drain has been 12 miles a day but last night I got an update (a navigation update) after I let the car close to my Wifi (took 3 hours do download!)
I then was so tired of the drain I turned OFF data sharing with Tesla (Under Security Menu) and have not seen Vampire Drain for the last 15 hours.
I am thinking that Tesla is running all kinds of tests or collecting data related to that sudden loss of range?

Given how many rightfully irate people there are, I would expect Tesla to be monitoring this situation very closely. I'm sure they want to know how cars are performing since these changes. Things Tesla likely want to know: Has the problem stabilized? Has the condition started to correct itself? Can they ease some of the restrictions they've put in place?

Following that assumption, I believe Tesla's remedy is to cap the capacity to avoid battery swap/fix.

What I do not know, and our battery experts can make comment on, is the answer to this question:

If the dendrite puncture risk exists in a particular pack, will the Tesla's capping provision eliminate the puncture risk leading to fire?

Following that assumption, I believe Tesla's remedy is to cap the capacity to avoid battery swap/fix.

What I do not know, and our battery experts can make comment on, is the answer to this question:

If the dendrite puncture risk exists in a particular pack, will the Tesla's capping provision eliminate the puncture risk leading to fire?

Here’s what’s happening IMO

1). Tesla is limiting the supercharging rate in all cars before 2017. Why? Dentrites can form at high charge rates.

2). Some percentage of these cars likely have cells with Dentrites due to their charging history. So Tesla is limiting the max voltage on these packs as a safety measure. Tesla is saying for “battery health and longevity” (ummm. Not really. It’s for safety)

2). Some percentage of these cars likely have cells with Dentrites due to their charging history. So Tesla is limiting the max voltage on these packs as a safety measure

Will it prevent the dendrite puncture causing fire if the cells are already dendrited? I want to know.

If it does not eliminate the danger on the "bad" cells entirely, then the packs need to be physically fixed/replaced.

• Love
Reactions: DJRas
I am hopeful we get some good news in the next two weeks about someone getting a battery cap reversed or a new battery.

Djras- hypothetical if they are capping the available capacity of our batteries is the charge fluctuating between the modules when charging now?
From what i have seen there is more variations in my pack between cells than unaffected cars.
I don't know what others consider acceptable. Tesla service says mine is fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I did a drive-until-shut-off last month. All one trip. I charged to 100% SOC immediately before.
View attachment 437248

AWESOME range considering when new it was EPA rated at 257 miles !!!

Maybe you should edit your vehicle name to Stormbreaker P85D+L :D

d%2z4Q8pT5OWeq6JsFe31A_thumb_469b.jpg