Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with a scan tool brought up to Tesla that the available charge is now limited to 4 volts versus the 4.2? Or shared with them the data before and after the update? I am guessing yes and it didn’t help?

After this is fixed we need to ensure we get reporting from Tesla about our battery health printed out at a minimum. What other car company does not share data about the engine? How else can they prove the battery is truly healthy? Are we supposed to just blindly follow what they say? I don’t care if I am not a battery expert one thing I do expect is explanations on what is healthy and something to verify what a service tech is telling me.

@MP3Mike and @SmartElectric I really did want to know which part of 1, 2 and 3 you disagreed with. 4 was meant as a joke to lighten the mood but maybe you thought I was just a smartass and dismissed my entire post.

We don’t have many facts to go by. We are inferring much of our conclusions based on facts, myths and our person bias.

I do want to learn from your point of view.

Do you disagree that wk057 says Z is being mistaken for X?

You think X is not an indicator of fire danger?

You don’t think X condition packs deserve warranty refurbishment?

You think I’m hiding the fact that I’m either secretly an accomplished battery expert or that I didn’t read every post in the thread?

Reactions: Droschke and VT_EE
Has anyone with a scan tool brought up to Tesla that the available charge is now limited to 4 volts versus the 4.2? Or shared with them the data before and after the update? I am guessing yes and it didn’t help?

After this is fixed we need to ensure we get reporting from Tesla about our battery health printed out at a minimum. What other car company does not share data about the engine? How else can they prove the battery is truly healthy? Are we supposed to just blindly follow what they say? I don’t care if I am not a battery expert one thing I do expect is explanations on what is healthy and something to verify what a service tech is telling me.
Yes, i shared my data with the Service Center technician. He disregarded it as 3rd party data that could be manipulated outside of Tesla's control. Then refused to show me the detailed data from the test that I paid $253.50.

Take care of your battery. Charge at home or work on Level 2 charger most of the time.
Keep the charge level between 20 - 80 % most of the time.
Fast charge using Super Chargers only when traveling and even then charge to 80% most of the time.

I already do all of that. But on rare occasions, charge to 100% when I must which is just a couple times a years. I have low degradation on my P85D (12 miles lost in 100K miles). I think I've done very well managing my degradation. Others have gone hundreds of thousands of miles with only a little bit more degradation. With the current fleet degradation chart, I'd be at about 235 miles(current 240) by the time I hit 200K miles.

If I were to accept Tesla's update, I could lose 20% overnight and be unable to use my Tesla for the two long trips that make several times a year. Instead of allowing me to manage my battery and only occasionally charge high, Tesla would remove that choice from me 100% of the time turning my S85 into an S60.

Reactions: Droschke and DJRas
This post says it all. This is a more widespread issue than most people here think.

Which will come out when all potentially effected customers are sent notices and the hundreds or even thousands that are not on this board that went to their service centers to complain and were told it was normal degradation will now have a tool to respond and make themselves whole.

Yes, i shared my data with the Service Center technician. He disregarded it as 3rd party data that could be manipulated outside of Tesla's control. Then refused to show me the detailed data from the test that I paid $253.50.
Further, for those that say I (we) should just keep waiting for Tesla to fix this issue.

After my above encounter with the Service Center technician, the Service Center manager told me to not come back until warnings came up on the main screen. This occurred on my 4th visit between June 17 and July 8. So persistence did nothing.

That is pretty lame. Why on earth can’t they produce a sheet with acceptable value ranges that show where your vehicle sits, especially when you paid for the diagnostic? Similar to what you get when have an alignment done. Perhaps you should recommend this when you get into settlement talks. It might be good to have a list of non-monetary remedies that Tesla could implement to add some transparency. Just a thought.

Further, for those that say I (we) should just keep waiting for Tesla to fix this issue.

After my above encounter with the Service Center technician, the Service Center manager told me to not come back until warnings came up on the main screen. This occurred on my 4th visit between June 17 and July 8. So persistence did nothing.
Yeah I can understand that cause they are all drinking the Tesla kool-aid:D

• Funny
Reactions: lightningltd
That is pretty lame. Why on earth can’t they produce a sheet with acceptable value ranges that show where your vehicle sits, especially when you paid for the diagnostic? Similar to what you get when have an alignment done. Perhaps you should recommend this when you get into settlement talks. It might be good to have a list of non-monetary remedies that Tesla could implement to add some transparency. Just a thought.
Agree 100% as I stated this earlier as well transparency is key.

I hope you have not been affected by #Batterygate. I had recently completed a trip from Michigan to Arizona. Shortly after I got back Tesla capped the voltage to my battery and limited charging speed. It would have been a much more grueling trip with this latest round of software limiting...

I initially thought you were someone who actually wanted to understand what was going on from a technical perspective. It is becoming increasingly clear that what you really want is an echo chamber where you can commiserate with others about how you’re being screwed while calling everyone with other ideas a disrupter. I personally loved your disagree on my posting of a link explaining the various strategies companies use for managing batteries. You apparently are not interested in any educational material unless it fits your narrative.
We want Tesla to tell us what's going on from a technical perspective. We have a right to that and don't see counter-arguments and diversions to be very helpful.

Other things have been resolved simply with owners sharing their concerns with service, sometimes persistently, but that is the price of being on the bleeding edge, and not uncommon even with established OEMs.

I've always found, and others that I know have found, successful relief in pressing my case in the normal service channels -- including sharing information from teslalog or teslafi etc. Tesla service isn't at all perfect but I've experienced, and heard direct from numerous others, that they eventually get it right. And I'm in a position to rather easily escalate in other ways, but have never found the need.

There is no way to prove that the eventual resolution would not have occurred but for litigation. Tesla have resolved plenty of other issues simply by users sharing their concerns in the normal channels. The fact that someone resorted to litigation earlier than most people would only proves that their attorney talked them into it. I'd be curious to know whether the attorney is working on contingency or is being currently paid.

I consider it a given, and hope others get this too, that Tesla battery tech and Tesla BMS tech is highly proprietary and valuable and is a key advantage of Tesla over other EVs. What exactly is the factual basis of your claim that Tesla is "trying extremely hard to keep it hidden" more than normal corporate responsibility and fiduciary duty to protect corporate technology and competitive advantage from harmful disclosure to competitors?

I wouldn't expect them to share proprietary information and shareholders would be disappointed if they did. They have already shared that they are working on a resolution to address the batteries with Z condition which was unexpected. They likely need time to get that right.
"I consider it a given, and hope others get this too, that Tesla battery tech and Tesla BMS tech is highly proprietary and valuable and is a key advantage of Tesla over other EVs."

This in reference to the guys who offer to give away their patents? Something disingenuous there if you are right.

Other things have been resolved simply with owners sharing their concerns with service, sometimes persistently, but that is the price of being on the bleeding edge, and not uncommon even with established OEMs.

I've always found, and others that I know have found, successful relief in pressing my case in the normal service channels -- including sharing information from teslalog or teslafi etc. Tesla service isn't at all perfect but I've experienced, and heard direct from numerous others, that they eventually get it right. And I'm in a position to rather easily escalate in other ways, but have never found the need.

There is no way to prove that the eventual resolution would not have occurred but for litigation. Tesla have resolved plenty of other issues simply by users sharing their concerns in the normal channels. The fact that someone resorted to litigation earlier than most people would only proves that their attorney talked them into it. I'd be curious to know whether the attorney is working on contingency or is being currently paid.

I consider it a given, and hope others get this too, that Tesla battery tech and Tesla BMS tech is highly proprietary and valuable and is a key advantage of Tesla over other EVs. What exactly is the factual basis of your claim that Tesla is "trying extremely hard to keep it hidden" more than normal corporate responsibility and fiduciary duty to protect corporate technology and competitive advantage from harmful disclosure to competitors?

I wouldn't expect them to share proprietary information and shareholders would be disappointed if they did. They have already shared that they are working on a resolution to address the batteries with Z condition which was unexpected. They likely need time to get that right.
"They have already shared that they are working on a resolution to address the batteries with Z condition which was unexpected."

No, THEY did not.

Its crystal clear to anyone who has been paying attention what is going on here. Tesla software capped certain batteries, and now cars are devalued. That’s it. Plain an simple. Putting your head in the sand, and admiring fake battery experts, who copy and paste battery info that is easily googled, is sad.
The not perfectly clear part is that Tesla hasn't told us the technical reason(s) why, or what if anything else they are planning to do about it. These are things only Tesla knows and only a lawsuit will reveal if Tesla chooses not to be forthcoming.

I hope you have not been affected by #Batterygate. I had recently completed a trip from Michigan to Arizona. Shortly after I got back Tesla capped the voltage to my battery and limited charging speed. It would have been a much more grueling trip with this latest round of software limiting...

What are you saying? If you SuperCharge too much Tesla throttles you? First I hear of this... And not sure this would alleviate SC congestion. Seems counterintuitive.