Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be curious to see how many model S owners would buy another Tesla now vs before the infamous updates last Spring. I know I was considering an X for my wife to replace our truck. After the update I put those plans on hold. Then my S was totalled and I bought a new Accord instead of another S or a new 3. If my S had been totalled before the updates I am confident I would have replaced it with a new 3.

Unless something changes, I am in a bit of a quandary in a couple of years when I look at replacing my S. At the end of the day, my trust in Tesla is deeply shaken. As early adopters, we knew we were getting science projects, so I have less of an issue with tech not working quite as planned than I do with Tesla's subsequent handling of the issues. I no longer trust Tesla to do the right thing anymore. They have shown they are more than willing to act unilaterally for their benefit. I would dearly love to replace my S with another Tesla, but I work too hard for my money to continue to hand it over to a company that does not respect me as a customer.

Assistant needed. I know how to work on an ICE with no problem, but an EV no. I want to test my battery’s cells, so I’m buying the OBDLink MX+; using an android phone to download TM-Spy software; and, depending what you all say, I’ll buy the dongle.

My question is can I used the OBD port next to the driver’s side kick panel instead of using the connector under the MCU? If yes, I wouldn’t need the dongle?

Or do the locations search a completely different function?

Assistant needed. I know how to work on an ICE with no problem, but an EV no. I want to test my battery’s cells, so I’m buying the OBDLink MX+; using an android phone to download TM-Spy software; and, depending what you all say, I’ll buy the dongle.

My question is can I used the OBD port next to the driver’s side kick panel instead of using the connector under the MCU? If yes, I wouldn’t need the dongle?

Or do the locations search a completely different function?
The connector by the kick panel only supplies power and ground. No CANBUS signals.

Question to all who are affected. When you charge on AC (UMC or HPWC) and set it 100%, does it actually charge to 100%? I have tried to charge to 100% three times now and it will stop at 95% saying 'complete'. My car has never done this. In almost 6 years it was maybe off by 1% twice or so, but it never stopped charge at 95% when I set it to 100.

Looks like Tesla is hiding some of their capacity crippling by not allowing the car to charge to 100%. This way the range drop in Teslafi doesn't look as dramatic because for it's report it uses the range the car would have at 100%. But if the car only charges to 95% there is another 5% not available. Which means I'm down to 200 rated miles of range.

BTW, charging from 71% to 95% took almost 5 hours!

This whole thing just gets worse and worse.

This only happens to me in the winter when it gets cold outside and very common in those conditions.
Not sure what the temperature threshold is for this though

Can I just confirm which setting you are using to give range at 90% and 100%, is it the Rated range or Ideal range setting in the energy display settings. On Typical I think I can squeeze around 220 miles (only charged to 100% twice so far usually at 80% to 90%)

S85 (UK) late 2014 model AP1 and a huge 116K now on the clock. But I'm seeing a lot of S75's with better battery range?

In the UK we use the Typical (which is equivalent of US Rated) setting. The other setting in UK is "rated" (which is US equivalent of Ideal). Tesla typically confused us with these non-ideal ratings! See what I did there!

Question to all who are affected. When you charge on AC (UMC or HPWC) and set it 100%, does it actually charge to 100%? I have tried to charge to 100% three times now and it will stop at 95% saying 'complete'. My car has never done this. In almost 6 years it was maybe off by 1% twice or so, but it never stopped charge at 95% when I set it to 100.

Looks like Tesla is hiding some of their capacity crippling by not allowing the car to charge to 100%. This way the range drop in Teslafi doesn't look as dramatic because for it's report it uses the range the car would have at 100%. But if the car only charges to 95% there is another 5% not available. Which means I'm down to 200 rated miles of range.

BTW, charging from 71% to 95% took almost 5 hours!

This whole thing just gets worse and worse.
I TRIED to charge to 100% but also stopped short at 96% at 215 miles (instead of 224 max rated rsnge). The temperature in the garage was 56F.
Screenshot_20191202-041938_Chrome.jpg

I TRIED to charge to 100% but also stopped short at 96% at 215 miles (instead of 224 max rated rsnge). The temperature in the garage was 56F.
View attachment 483831
DJ how many minutes did it charge while at 96%? Also what was your CHARGE Rate at during those times. I'm wondering because I normally see a CHARGE Rate of 6 once it hits 100% then it will click down .1 for each minute it stays at 100% until it gets around CHARGE Rate of 2 then clicks charge complete. I just charged to 100% over the weekend and the other very few times I've charged to 100% seen the same pattern.

Edit: While charging at home at 32amp

DJ how many minutes did it charge while at 96%? Also what was your CHARGE Rate at during those times. I'm wondering because I normally see a CHARGE Rate of 6 once it hits 100% then it will click down .1 for each minute it stays at 100% until it gets around CHARGE Rate of 2 then clicks charge complete. I just charged to 100% over the weekend and the other very few times I've charged to 100% seen the same pattern.

Edit: While charging at home at 32amp
The graph shows the charging rate.
I have 40 amp available from HPWC with single charger onborad.
It was 9 kW until 90% then dropped rapidly. It was at 1kW for 14 minutes until it stopped.
I tried to restart it a couple of hours later.but it immediately stopped again.

I
View attachment 483831
I finished yesterday at 44%. Thought I would try a slow AC (3.5kW) overnight charge to 100%. 11 hours later it stopped at 97%. And refused to go higher. (Thinks. Is this another sneaky brake, reducing the available size even further?). By the morning it had slipped back to 96% (190 miles). A cold, sub zero night outside, but in the garage it was low single figures. So even gentle, slow AC seems too much.

• Informative
Reactions: DJRas and Droschke
Interesting. In UK there is no such thing as a Class Action. In UK it is called a Group Action. Similar. Except each complainant has to hire a lawyer. It becomes economically viable when sufficient complainers engage with one legal firm. In the case of dieselgate, a group action was started against VW in 2016. It is only now getting to the UK courts.

But some of the comments are interesting.
“The carmaker (VW) also says that, whatever the merits of the case, the UK drivers seeking compensation faced no losses.” (VW's primary defence is owners did not suffer a loss. I don’t think it will be difficult for Tesla owners to demonstrate a clear financial loss.)
“For years, the carmaker has deceived its customers”
“VW's tactics have been to delay and prevaricate - anything but face a day when it would have to explain what this software did. Well, that day has finally come.”
VW has had plenty of opportunity to come clean, make amends and move on from this highly damaging episode.”
“But instead it's chosen to spend millions of pounds denying the claims our clients have been forced to bring against it rather than paying that to their own customers in compensation.”

Any of this ring a bell?

Volkswagen: UK motorists begin mass claim over emissions scandal UK drivers fight for VW 'dieselgate' compensation

So if I follow the reasoning how come the newer X and S cars don't seem to suffer? Did they improve the manufacture of the cells (same cells all along). Any '18 or '19 cars affected?
If you follow Tesla's treatment of this ongoing problem they are. They don't want to repair "a small number" of damaged batteries because it will eventually be all of them and they can't afford to replace all affected batteries. They will cap everything sooner or later, and Bjorn posted evidence that his Model 3 was capped already.