Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My capping occurred over a few weeks
upload_2019-12-12_11-17-8.png

Hmm. Is this an 85 pack? You're missing modules on the scan.

Not as low, but first two pictures are at 8.7% with 9.7kWh remaining. I have an MS85D.

Stationary and just about to charge with average at 3.378V, although whilst driving just before under acceleration, lowest brick was around 3.1V

Third was after charging back up to 90%, although dropped off slightly as I had to wait a few minutes for the battery pack volts to settle a little after a SuC charge.

Attachments

• E6A4AA09-EE7F-497E-850F-A1EC71E35F85.jpeg
    E6A4AA09-EE7F-497E-850F-A1EC71E35F85.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 78377FBD-DD03-402F-A788-DDD8D6D6B52E.png
    78377FBD-DD03-402F-A788-DDD8D6D6B52E.png
    225.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 28F10D74-2BE1-4074-8446-389DAB2EB92A.jpeg
    28F10D74-2BE1-4074-8446-389DAB2EB92A.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
@Zextraterrestrial, you disagree with what I said. I don't mind to be corrected. Care to elaborate?
I did believe the car/battery displayed range is less in colder temperatures but not so sure actually...As you can clearly see from my older data ;)...J/K[. unfortunately I don't have flash to see my old visible tesla #'s where I think is back when I thought that..
upload_2019-12-12_15-11-2.png

might need to change my disagreement ;>
except actual consumption could be argued to only be worse because of the warming of the battery + everything else I think. cold battery is less efficient until it is warm.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I have run my car in a temp spread of 120F (-20 - +100). Displayed range had never varied, but consumption clearly has (as bad as 525wh/mi in -4F, 75mph, with a headwind). @Droschke is correct.

Thanks. I was surprised by the initial disagreement by @Zextraterrestrial as I thought it was made by mistake, hence my questioning it. Glad the matter is accurately settled.

Interesting.. I noticed a couple of things...
1: Both in screen and in the app the charging times at 1kw (120 volt) seem like they are calculating on semi-capped values (my non capped 100% WAS 259):

IMG_5954.PNG
IMG_5955.PNG

If I do the math, it THINKS its charging to 223.7 miles at 90% and 230.67 at 100%. Very odd. Will know if it goes past 203/204 (the new 90%) soon.
Edit: Darn. It stopped at 204 miles at 90%. It is a display bug in the car and the app.

2:
Also, I noticed something VERY interesting: The running of the coolant pump and fan at maximum speed as you approach 90% MAY be Tesla putting on a show to make us THINK it needs to cool...
Yesterday morning, I set it to 90% at a supercharger. As it approached 90%, it ran the pump and fans at full for several minutes after I unplugged and drove, bleeding off a couple of extra miles before it stopped.
This morning, I set it to charge at 100%, but unplugged at the SAME range as yesterday, and it did NOT run the pump or fan at full, and did NOT bleed off the 2 miles while I drove.
Temperature and charging time were the same both days.
I need someone else to try this (batterygate and/or chargegate infected) and see if it was a fluke or a work around.
Thanks!

And if any TESLA spies are reading this, ANY TIME REGEN IS LIMITED, please display the regen limited line for SAFETY!

Last edited:
Interesting.. I noticed a couple of things...
1: Both in screen and in the app the charging times at 1kw (120 volt) seem like they are calculating on semi-capped values (my non capped 100% WAS 259):

View attachment 487663 View attachment 487664

If I do the math, it THINKS its charging to 223.7 miles at 90% and 230.67 at 100%. Very odd. Will know if it goes past 203/204 (the new 90%) soon.
Edit: Darn. It stopped at 204 miles at 90%. It is a display bug in the car and the app.

2:
Also, I noticed something VERY interesting: The running of the coolant pump and fan at maximum speed as you approach 90% MAY be Tesla putting on a show to make us THINK it needs to cool...
Yesterday morning, I set it to 90% at a supercharger. As it approached 90%, it ran the pump and fans at full for several minutes after I unplugged and drove, bleeding off a couple of extra miles before it stopped.
This morning, I set it to charge at 100%, but unplugged at the SAME range as yesterday, and it did NOT run the pump or fan at full, and did NOT bleed off the 2 miles while I drove.
Temperature and charging time were the same both days.
I need someone else to try this (batterygate and/or chargegate infected) and see if it was a fluke or a work around.
Thanks!

And if any TESLA spies are reading this, ANY TIME REGEN IS LIMITED, please display the regen limited line for SAFETY!
I posted very similar screenshots earlier in this thread when charging at 120 volts.
The car knows it still has hours to go before it would reach the old 90% but stops soon at the new chargegate limited 90%.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and gmo43
Not as low, but first two pictures are at 8.7% with 9.7kWh remaining. I have an MS85D.

Stationary and just about to charge with average at 3.378V, although whilst driving just before under acceleration, lowest brick was around 3.1V

Third was after charging back up to 90%, although dropped off slightly as I had to wait a few minutes for the battery pack volts to settle a little after a SuC charge.

Interesting. Even with my bad module it's still only 3 mv difference at 90%. Your battery appears to have significant variance.

Reactions: liamharry

Perhaps this is because the battery is charging so gently (low charge rate) from 90-100% that it has time to cool down enough that the pumps/fans are no longer required?

• Helpful
I posted very similar screenshots earlier in this thread when charging at 120 volts.
The car knows it still has hours to go before it would reach the old 90% but stops soon at the new chargegate limited 90%.
As the 100% figure is just Vmax, it won’t charge to the old 100%, just the new 100%. However in my car it now stops before it gets to 100%, normally around 98%. Death by 1000 cuts

My '15 70D has the dotted line until the battery get approx. 16 C, but at that time the regen is still only 50% = 42kW. First when the batteri is approx 21C I have full regen. The highest regen I have seen is 87,5kW
Yesterday I got 2019.40.2.1, and this morning is saw that the dotted line first disappeared at 18,8C - hav they changed anything in this FW ?
(I use SMT)