Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two weeks ago I drove across the desert to Barstow in 107 degree weather. I arrived at the Supercharger with 11%. To my amazement, from 11% to ~20%, the rate was the highest that I've ever seen--126kW scaling down to 115kW or so at 20%. Then it dropped quickly to the customary SOC+kW =110. By 25%, I was pulling 85ish KW.

This was after driving from Mojave to Barstow in the heat. On other legs when the temps were cooler, say around 100 degrees, the initial rate was not nearly as robust, and they scaled down to the 110 figure more quickly. I don't recall those rates off hand.

I know zip, zero, and nada about programming. After watching the rate climb to a 125+ combined figure immediately upon plugging in at other times, there must be some computer code that gets accessed. Within 30 seconds or so, the combined rate drops very quickly, not gradually, closer to 110.

Two weeks ago I drove across the desert to Barstow in 107 degree weather. I arrived at the Supercharger with 11%. To my amazement, from 11% to ~20%, the rate was the highest that I've ever seen--126kW scaling down to 115kW or so at 20%. Then it dropped quickly to the customary SOC+kW =110. By 25%, I was pulling 85ish KW.

This was after driving from Mojave to Barstow in the heat. On other legs when the temps were cooler, say around 100 degrees, the initial rate was not nearly as robust, and they scaled down to the 110 figure more quickly. I don't recall those rates off hand.

I know zip, zero, and nada about programming. After watching the rate climb to a 125+ combined figure immediately upon plugging in at other times, there must be some computer code that gets accessed. Within 30 seconds or so, the combined rate drops very quickly, not gradually, closer to 110.
That's not bad. Do you think this might be the result of a recent update?

That's not bad. Do you think this might be the result of a recent update?
No, I do not.

I think that there is a sweet spot between battery temperature and SOC to receive 120+kW. But around 20% the battery is too full to continue such a fast rate. As I said above, you can watch the sharp decline once plugged in under ordinary circumstances. I think the software assumes the more modern chemistry to ramp up the initial charge rate. Then it searches through the battery part numbers until it finds our particular number and then rapidly reduces the rate.

I just happened to get lucky the other day. It probably shaved two minutes off the entire charging session too. LOL

But remember I am no programmer/EE/techie.

Reactions: Droschke
Update:

1) The person I interacted with at the SC is in fact one of the 3 managers. Turned out a super nice guy and gave me a call to sort out any misunderstanding. I appreciate that. Obviously, they are restricted to share the whole story up front. But the phone call was a very positive exchange and cleared up some of the previous ambiguities and I thanked him for it.

2) They have ordered a replacement battery for me :).

Finally got the HV battery replaced per the “letter” I received from Tesla in April. It’s a 90KWH,T3,SX(1014116-00-C). Looks like 270 miles full range 👍

I think I might have seen 122 on a V3 yesterday. SOC in the teens; outside temp mid-90's

Either of you have your A/C cooling reduced while supercharging in this heat?

No, and I was paying close attention and thinking about this thread while charging. I should have mentioned that.
Okay thanks; let me "vent" here for a minute :)

34 C = 97F, so not super hot here. Supercharged 3 times today, at 2 different superchargers. SOC+charge level of almost 120, after the initial stabilizing, which is as good as it has been over the past several years, wonderful, but when the A/C cuts out and we are sweating in the car, so much that I actually stopped supercharging and just sat there for a few minutes until we got A/C again, then started supercharging again. ...

I mean, since 2022.8.10.1, (on MCU1 still) how can someone take a summer trip in this car? I know people complain about the supercharging nerfing, but if this is the fix put it back to where it was before! Or give me the choice: Give me an adjustment: I would choose to charge at 50 kW instead of 80kW to retain the air conditioning. I am in no hurry. I will sit there for another 15 minutes.

Maybe Tesla is babying the battery until warranty is up in 6 months, because they know it is on its last legs...

In my 2016 MS with first gen 90 pack, at 100*F outside, and my pack temp at 128*F (They've really jacked the temps up on these packs. Active cooling used to go nuts and start limiting charge rate when pack temp got to 113*F in the past), I got the AC Reduced warning for just a couple minutes. It didn't cool as well but still cooled. Kept recirculation on, and with 5 of us in the car, was still very manageable. More or less, humidity in the car went way up, which is what made it a bit more uncomfortable, according to TM-SPY, the AC output air temp was 55*F. again, not cold but at 100*F outside and in the sun, we were fine. Put the sun shade up in the windshield, and that helped tremendously. Possibly your vehicle is low on refrigerant?

Either of you have your A/C cooling reduced while supercharging in this heat?
I live in Victorville where the Temps have been around 100 for most of July.
I have supercharged many times from very low SOC (2 to 10 MILES). It starts at 128 kW and drops to 110-SOC over the first 5 minutes.
I haven't lost AC at all during that time.
I can get from 2 to 80% in less than an hour.
But, while eating lunch I set it to 100% and it took 100 minutes to go from 20 to 98%.

Okay thanks; let me "vent" here for a minute :)

34 C = 97F, so not super hot here. Supercharged 3 times today, at 2 different superchargers. SOC+charge level of almost 120, after the initial stabilizing, which is as good as it has been over the past several years, wonderful, but when the A/C cuts out and we are sweating in the car, so much that I actually stopped supercharging and just sat there for a few minutes until we got A/C again, then started supercharging again. ...

I mean, since 2022.8.10.1, (on MCU1 still) how can someone take a summer trip in this car? I know people complain about the supercharging nerfing, but if this is the fix put it back to where it was before! Or give me the choice: Give me an adjustment: I would choose to charge at 50 kW instead of 80kW to retain the air conditioning. I am in no hurry. I will sit there for another 15 minutes.

Maybe Tesla is babying the battery until warranty is up in 6 months, because they know it is on its last legs...

I think you’ve got an AC issue. Traveled a few hundred miles yesterday supercharging twice in 95° weather and AC was ice cold the entire time.

Also saw a real nice charging curve improvement with this update. staying in the soc + rate = 120+ until almost 50% soc. Was in the 130’s plus through almost 30% (stats screenshot below not sure why it didn’t start at 7% which was the actual start of my session).

Attachments

• 2E971705-4D07-4431-9A6A-4168C2BB4EEB.png
    2E971705-4D07-4431-9A6A-4168C2BB4EEB.png
    403.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Damn it I should have objected. Oh well now ill take my miserable payout. Too late now. Too bad my battery hasn't failed. But seems Ive gained most of my battery back. But not extension on my warranty.

*** Edit***

But hey Tesla did nothing wrong and theres was nothing wrong with my battery.

• Funny
Reactions: lightningltd