Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ballarat (Lucas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a drive by last night, couple of guys working on it. Don’t get out that way often but feels like Lucas area growing quickly.
As someone who lives in the area and drives through and shops in Lucas almost every day, the growth in that area is staggering. It seems to never end, I think I have had to deal with road works due to new estates being developed for 5 solid years now without a break 😩

Reactions: SPadival and bradjc
Yes large white cabinets are there right now, much larger than the ones at the other site. They are on a concrete section between the 2 pedestals off on their own and the group of 8 together, just to the right of my photo :rolleyes:
Yeah, V3 cabinets are larger than V2 cabinets, the other Ballarat site is V2. V2 units service 2 cars, A and B. V3 units can service 3 or 4 depending A - D, but can also share power between cabinets. Do you recall the number of cabinets?

The interesting thing about this location is that the staff from the medical centre directly opposite over the road would park right where these superchargers are as they are normally empty during the day because they are the furthest from the shopping centre. I will be intrigued to see if they get iced just out of spite from people who feel like we have "stolen" their parking 😂

Yeah, V3 cabinets are larger than V2 cabinets, the other Ballarat site is V2. V2 units service 2 cars, A and B. V3 units can service 3 or 4 depending A - D, but can also share power between cabinets. Do you recall the number of cabinets?
ahha! I just remembered my dashcam could see the cabinets. 3! 😅

vlcsnap-2023-08-09-17h48m18s479.png

Two of the cabinets say 3 outputs and the 3rd one says 4 outputs but otherwise the plates are identical (volts, amps, inputs/outputs etc.) and there does appear to be another cabinet coming to cap/route cables to the pedestals.
View attachment 963952View attachment 963951
Thanks for this.

Interesting that this cabinet says manufactured in China. The other v3 face plates I have looked at in Australia have been made in Buffalo (USA). More interesting again as the v3 China destined installs are all 3 post outputs due to the lower voltage used there as the less overall power to share to the posts. Will have to make more of a note of future v3 sites visited.

It looks like that any future expansion here would all be new cabinets, not that I know of any planned here. Benalla though is getting planing for a 10 stall start with a 20 stall approved upgrade. They may still stick with 3/3/4 and 3/3/4 cabinet approach there also. It would simplify the install and expansion and does give more overall site power to share between the cars. With the arrangement here for Lucas a full 10 car site would give a capacity for around 100kW to all cars simultaneously. And for Benalla if they went with just a 4/4/4 to start and add a 4/4 cabinet install for the final 20 car expansion then it would only be around 83kW to all cars simultaneously.

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieOwner
Bit more work done. Cable cabinet installed, lines painted, big hole dug and a bit of a mess made to one of the charge posts. It also looks like they ran extra conduits to allow for 3 more charger cabinets and you can see where they capped them in front of the existing 3.
3 more cabinets! That's insane, in a good way. Fantastic to see Tesla forward planning like this. Very similar to Benalla.

curious to see if they keep the current site in addition to this one or not. desperately need more in Horsham
Desperately need anything between Melbourne & Ballarat (Moone Ponds V2 Chargers excluded).

Ive been banging on for months to anyone who will listen about the fastest Victorian growth corridors having 0 chargers (or 5 when you take into account local council chargers across three Shires).

Thats 5 Chargers for 3 Shire Councils which is a disgrace and 0 Tesla Chargers.