Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ballarat (Lucas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree entirely. I’m currently working with my local MP to lobby the minister on something very similar to this

Righto, well there was supposed to be a supercharger site built at the newly constructed Hungry Jacks / EG Ampol just off the Western Hwy in Bacchus Marsh. A couple of years back Tesla offered to build a charger and was part of the plan but was later rejected as at that time would only charge Teslas, and they didn’t want to show favouritism to any particular car brand. 🙄 Would be a different story now they are opening up to all. Is the perfect spot! I would ask your local MP to get on the case of Moorabool Council and jump on the phone again, get it happening now superchargers are no longer Tesla exclusive.

Reactions: SPadival
Righto, well there was supposed to be a supercharger site built at the newly constructed Hungry Jacks / EG Ampol just off the Western Hwy in Bacchus Marsh. A couple of years back Tesla offered to build a charger and was part of the plan but was later rejected as at that time would only charge Teslas, and they didn’t want to show favouritism to any particular car brand. 🙄 Would be a different story now they are opening up to all. Is the perfect spot! I would ask your local MP to get on the case of Moorabool Council and jump on the phone again, get it happening now superchargers are no longer Tesla exclusive.
Who is 'they' that did not want to show favouritism? Service stations are almost always on private land. Why would council be able to object here? It was a different story in Gawler, SA where it was to be installed on council land.
In NSW, at least, EV charger installs are exempt developments and if only converting existing parking to charging do not require a DA. Given we are not seeing DAs in for superchargers in Victoria either I assume there is equivalent legislation.
So if they really wanted it the developer could have gone ahead afterwards.

Reference:
(NSW exempt development EV chargers)
Screenshot_20230904-225753.png

Last edited:
Who is 'they' that did not want to show favouritism? Service stations are almost always on private land. Why would council be able to object here? It was a different story in Gawler, SA where it was to be installed on council land.
In NSW, at least, EV charger installs are exempt developments and if only converting existing parking to charging do not require a DA. Given we are not seeing DAs in for superchargers in Victoria either I assume there is equivalent legislation.

Reference:
View attachment 970912

Reference:
View attachment 970912

Council didn’t want it to work with only one car brand. Different story now.

I agree entirely. I’m currently working with my local MP to lobby the minister on something very similar to this

I've been following the Moorabool Council EV charger situation for years(!) now as am a rate payer and have heard of many proposals get shot down to the point I'd completely given up on it happening here due to the ignorance of the councillors and small minded insular politics that goes on. Yeah, I'm frustrated but can't see anything at all happening until the deadwood moves on or the pressure becomes too much. Seems like active opposition as the proposals would be no brainers, Moorabool surely one of the last LGAs to not have an EV charging station at all, even though Moorabool is adjacent to Melbourne and on a major corridor, be great to encourage people to stop hey? Yeah nah, keep driving...

The only way I can see any progress is if a majority of gate keepers at council ie: individual councillors, feel enough pressure from the community. I've sent messages to them all making the case over the years, but if more do the same and there is a groundswell of want, we might see some action. Names and numbers so you can send them a message here: Meet your Councillors

AussieOwner definitely get in touch, love to help out with your efforts too. email: [email protected]

Reactions: Hairyman
I've been following the Moorabool Council EV charger situation for years(!) now as am a rate payer and have heard of many proposals get shot down to the point I'd completely given up on it happening here due to the ignorance of the councillors and small minded insular politics that goes on. Yeah, I'm frustrated but can't see anything at all happening until the deadwood moves on or the pressure becomes too much. Seems like active opposition as the proposals would be no brainers, Moorabool surely one of the last LGAs to not have an EV charging station at all, even though Moorabool is adjacent to Melbourne and on a major corridor, be great to encourage people to stop hey? Yeah nah, keep driving...

The only way I can see any progress is if a majority of gate keepers at council ie: individual councillors, feel enough pressure from the community. I've sent messages to them all making the case over the years, but if more do the same and there is a groundswell of want, we might see some action. Names and numbers so you can send them a message here: Meet your Councillors

AussieOwner definitely get in touch, love to help out with your efforts too. email: [email protected]
I will reach out shortly.
Will be great to combine our efforts together.

Reactions: Hairyman and bradjc
any updates? must be getting close

Asphalting is all complete and today a "Tesla Service" Model S was in attendance and they had the pedestals open and were working on them, maybe final checks and/or wiring? They also had some workers cleaning down the area (they'd left some mud and dirt in some of the non-Tesla parking bays).

hey'd open at least one of them to non-Teslas
Should ask the other car manufacturers why they are not active in the DC fast charging space.
Tesla invented supercharging and long range battery cars when everyone was laughing their heads off.

Irrespective of when Tesla will open all of its SC to non Teslas, the other EV manufacturers should participate in the Dc fast charging space in order to accelerate generic Dc fast charging.

Last edited: