Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Blaxland, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.. how do they stuff that up? Like.......... measure twice guys.. Tesla's arent skinny............ (and neither am I :()
They used the existing parking markings. Maybe this site was always tight and they should have used 7 spaces for the 6. Would be good to see 3 or so teslas in a row parked in to see how tight it really is. Not sure I can see it from the current photos.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Tesla's arent skinny...

I charged there today (couldn’t pre-condition as the site doesn’t show in my in-car nav yet) but I concur that the bays are too narrow, or more specifically that with a supercharger each side of the bay that it is really a tight fit.

Photo from today below - you probably can’t really see the issue but there is so little clearance between the charger and the car on both sides that I had to reach _through_ the charger to plug/unplug the charger to my car. If there had been a car in the neighbouring bay I wouldn’t have been able to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    983.6 KB · Views: 88
Photo from today below - you probably can’t really see the issue but there is so little clearance between the charger and the car on both sides that I had to reach _through_ the charger to plug/unplug the charger to my car. If there had been a car in the neighbouring bay I wouldn’t have been able to do it
Exactly, When I thought I got it right reversing in after 3 attempts at dusk as the sun was going down and the street lights not on yet I couldn't get the plug in as the stall was in the way. Moving more forward would feel in encroaching on the actual cars going past. I ended up using summons to reverse then reaching through the charger to plug in. And as I have an oldet S I also needed to fit the ccs2 adapter that makes it stick out more!

• Informative
Took a trip to Blaxland last Sunday. The supercharger was not showing in the in-car list of superchargers and even though it was in the phone app, I couldn't send the location to the car. This meant it didn't pre-condition the battery. There are public toilets by the station that close at 5pm. I guess the nearby Shell station would be the choice. Site is a bit secluded and so I wouldn't think it would feel safe after dark.
I made a video, I hope you find it useful.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Called in on the weekend to charge on the way to wisemans creek (middle of nowhere). Got caught out with my 2016 model X, all plugs are CCS !^%&!^% and yes the spaces are bizarrely narrow. Left with no additional electrons
All new supercharger sites since around mid 2021 have been CCS2. Maybe its time for a CCS comms board upgrade for your X along with an adapter.

Reactions: B3AU
Yes, just been looking at that. Can anyone chime in with cost, and any other details I need to be aware of?
This recent thread suggest a circa $500 price.
This thread says tesla email was quoting $480 from around the time the changeover happened.

Reactions: mrpseudonym
Ok despite living so close to it, I’ve only today finally had the chance to try this charger, not in the Tesla, but still the width of these spaces are ridiculous.

Hopefully they (both Tesla and blue mountains council I assume) learn some lessons on how much space a charger really requires.

For the sake of sacrificing one additional parking bay they could have given each charging bay the additional 200mm they would need to be usable.

If this was full I doubt I would have been able to even plug-in - between the stiffness in the cable and having to reach through/around the charger to reach. To be honest I would be too afraid of door dings to even try.

The only thought I have is to not reverse in so far between the chargers and just not worry about how much you might be sticking into the lane.

Ok despite living so close to it, I’ve only today finally had the chance to try this charger, not in the Tesla, but still the width of these spaces are ridiculous.

Hopefully they (both Tesla and blue mountains council I assume) learn some lessons on how much space a charger really requires.

For the sake of sacrificing one additional parking bay they could have given each charging bay the additional 200mm they would need to be usable.

If this was full I doubt I would have been able to even plug-in - between the stiffness in the cable and having to reach through/around the charger to reach. To be honest I would be too afraid of door dings to even try.

The only thought I have is to not reverse in so far between the chargers and just not worry about how much you might be sticking into the lane.
I've used it twice recently, wasn't aware of an issue with width
only one other car each time, if that's relevant

only one other car each time, if that's relevant

I think it is. I used the end bay so it wasn't impossible. But if it was a middle bay and a car was in the other bay then I don't see how I could do it based on where I had to stand in order to get the cable out.

it was a very awkward reach around the pillar and then to twist the charger towards the car, and now I think about it i actually wonder if the awkwardness is also contributed to by the fact the chargers are "backwards". Normally the cable is docked at the back, but in blaxland the cable dock is at the front.

I think it is. I used the end bay so it wasn't impossible. But if it was a middle bay and a car was in the other bay then I don't see how I could do it based on where I had to stand in order to get the cable out.

it was a very awkward reach around the pillar and then to twist the charger towards the car, and now I think about it i actually wonder if the awkwardness is also contributed to by the fact the chargers are "backwards". Normally the cable is docked at the back, but in blaxland the cable dock is at the front.
I don’t park with the car’s bum between the chargers - it’s always looked too narrow to do that, everywhere