Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Campbelltown, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friday night photo dump.
Had a bit of a look today. This looks like a 12 stall site even though NSW proposal said 9 stall site. There are 4 cabinets, with four connections per cabinet this could be up to 16 stalls but so far all Australian sites except Tenterfield have gone with the 3 stalls per V3 cabinet ratio. Also definately v3 as one of the charge stalls was exposed in the box. The netherlands currently has a v4 under construction so wondered if they may sneak some in here also.
Also there are 11 conduit locations in the spaces facing the road and 1 more in an island set of four spaces.
Did not take any additional photos, forgot that @Chuq might want proof to update supercharge.info to 12 stalls.

Last edited:
Had a bit of a look today. This looks like a 12 stall site even though NSW proposal said 9 stall site. There are 4 cabinets, with four connections per cabinet this could be up to 16 stalls but so far all Australian sites except Tenterfield have gone with the 3 stalls per V3 cabinet ratio. Also definately v3 as one of the charge stalls was exposed in the box. The netherlands currently has a v4 under construction so wondered if they may sneak some in here also.
Also there are 11 conduit locations in the spaces facing the road and 1 more in an island set of four spaces.
Did not take any additional photos, forgot that @Chuq might want proof to update supercharge.info to 12 stalls.
Yeah, I saw that (But I only counted 9 + 1). Maybe for this supposed CHAdeMO requirement they’ll put some type of other charger over where the +1 is. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see!
I’d love to sneak over early one morning and “find” an SD card from a drone that may have flown over and taken some aerial shots. 😉

Last edited:
Agreed I'd expect ground works to be complete within a fortnight.. but commissioning can be quick or months. (Eg. Cann River).

Worst I think is Evie Cameron Park nr Newcastle which has been complete for over 6 months
Yes, I think the best thing the state governments could do to support EV charging rollout would be to put the hard word on the electricity distributors, maybe even just funding the distribution works rather than the other grants.

Yikes. That's not very promising. My takeaway from all this is there is a slim chance I'll be able to use this SC in Easter.
I think they are just setting expectations that this is not a slam dunk that it will be complete before Easter.
As a counter example the most recent NSW supercharger site, Figtree near Wollongong, had its final grid activation complete within a week of the main site install completion and then the final activation by Tesla very shortly after. Time from construction first being noted to complete I think was less than a month. Campbelltown is in the same energy grid area, Endeavour Energy, as Figtree and possibly even has the same sub-contractors doing the grid and site install work. (@Unknolzy)

Yikes. That's not very promising. My takeaway from all this is there is a slim chance I'll be able to use this SC in Easter.
Anyway there's numerous other charging option in Campbelltown. The botanical gardens has a charger, a couple of 50kw chargers at the WSU which are free to use at present. Macarthur Square has two destination chagers and i think the BP chargers on Blaxland Road are now open.
As a side note i noticed on the Council website it looks like Ampol might be installing chargers at their Ambarvale station.

I can confirm 100% what @RichardV has already deduced. Campbelltown is a 12 stall site!
11 stalls (including 1 nose in) and 1 opposite.

Attachments

• IMG_4646.jpeg
    IMG_4646.jpeg
    629 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    676.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4648.jpeg
    IMG_4648.jpeg
    773.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Campbelltown is a 12 stall site!

To get back on topic though, assuming this is government funded, this could be the first site where we see how they are going to handle chademo on a brand new site?

4 x v3 gives the 12 stalls. Will they go tritium or will see a world first chademo plug on a V3 stall? (I have no idea if that's possible, would definitely need a different bit of kit in the cabinet at least to handle the protocol differently) - but that could be cheaper to develop than paying tritium for every single site going forward.

To get back on topic though, assuming this is government funded, this could be the first site where we see how they are going to handle chademo on a brand new site?
Tenterfield and Figtree were both government funded and are already open, but with no CHAdeMO solution yet. Those are also only open to Tesla drivers for now as well. Presumably they have until the program due date next year sometime to meet the full funding requirements, so Campbelltown might well go the same way for a while.

Maybe they'll create a CHAdeMO version of the 'magic dock'?

Reactions: B3AU
There's always the chance that they have "negotiated away" the requirement for Chademo. I made a long post about it in another thread: NSW EV charging master plan

Yep. But it’s very unlikely they negotiated away the requirement for all stalls to be open to all EVs. They may have negotiated an exclusivity period of 6-12 months, or none at all. To date the NSW Government has been very pragmatic. We will see what happens.

Yep. But it’s very unlikely they negotiated away the requirement for all stalls to be open to all EVs. They may have negotiated an exclusivity period of 6-12 months, or none at all. To date the NSW Government has been very pragmatic. We will see what happens.
Oh yeah, I definitely think there is a 0% chance of that happening, but the others are still "maybes".

Technically for Campbelltown they could open 9 of the 12 stalls to all and leave the other three tesla only as the grant money was for 9 stalls. I don't think that they should or that they will. They have 18months from October 2022 to complete their requirements, whatever they are that they negotiated to.

Reactions: Hairyman and Chuq
Albeit there are progress payments.. but the first one isn't due to Tesla until they open about 100 stalls presumably all meeting the final requirements.

And I suspect that's not going to be until the end of 2023.

Either way some electrical contractors are going to be very busy, particularly when the timetable for some of the accelerated Phase 2 sites might overlap.