Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Emporia, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No bother at all! I left from Shawnee at 100%. It was a 208 mile trip. It got pretty windy on me past Emporia (I think that was my undoing), but I had been driving the speed limit the entire way since it was my first time making this trip in the 3. Started slowing down to 55-60 about 15 miles from El Dorado and babied it pretty good the rest of the way south on the two lane roads (45-55 mph). Nav said I'd arrive with 12% when I left.

The trip back though was fantastic. I charged to 100% before I left and arrived with 24% remaining, driving exactly the same route but this time with a tailwind (and not exactly babying the speed either). Nav once again said I would arrive with 12% remaining but was clearly tracking the other direction.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it was exceptionally windy, and you can just slow down a bit and make it. Once Emporia is built, it's a non issue if you're even a little bit concerned when you go by it. I used to make this trip in an S90D driving the speed limit, and the 3 has longer legs than that. This was just an exceptional circumstance that's about to be avoidable.

Got it, so round trip sounds like you were getting a solid 250 miles for the charge (if you had depleted it entirely). That seems about right for the rating.

Yeah, I feel you. TBH, I'm one of those people who love to wake up early on road trips (I drive close to 25K miles a year) and only stop every 4 hours or so. In my old gas car, though, it only got ~25mpg going 75-80mph and I would have to stop every ~3-3.5 hours anyway.

With the Tesla, seems as though stopping possibly have 90 - 120 minutes here or there might make sense, what keeps my head high though, is I'm hoping autopilot can do 95%+ of the drive and I can (mostly) relax for the ride. To me, that's worth the trade-off of stopping more frequently.

Do you use autopilot during these trips?

The transformer is in the trucks are working in the background!!!
3ABE7A38-B3E0-4258-B7CB-3A61F64FB46A.jpeg

Why not?
Pandemic rules allow infrastructure work, unless local city inspectors are closed down. Some KC gov offices are closed ie DMV.
Segwick, Jo Co, Jackson Co are under essential business closure. Tesla service station in KC is considered essential. Good news weather is good so range is better. Can travel faster and warmer/comfort to make long range travel. I’ve lost about 6% battery capacity per app at about 19k miles.

@BestyS, It is just his guess. He doesn't have any hard facts. The city inspector is waiting for the contractors to notify his office they are ready for the inspection. After the inspection, he'll notify Tesla. He won't know when the chargers are operational until Tesla actually finishes their startup testing. As far as I can tell, Tesla is still commissioning Superchargers, 4 in the last 4 days.