Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Exeter, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of these “outages” are because of poor internet connection in the car itself. For whatever reason, the phone usually has better reception than the car. So just double-check in the app to see if there’s any outage and you can even use the personal hotspot on the phone to improve the car’s connectivity.

I don’t know why Tesla hasn’t fixed this problem, by showing a warning about internet connectivity instead of showing offline SCs.
that's handy to know. thanks.

doing a SYD-QLD trip starting Friday so just want to have my ducks in a row in understanding what's going on.

Moderators note,
General road trip posts moved to more relevant thread

Please keep discussion on topic.

I used this SC for my first (and second) time over the last few days.
I'm pleased to report that heading from Canberra to Sydney, the navigation now does the sensible thing rather than the dangerous U-turn. Takes you off at the Service Centre, then over the bridge. All sensible now.

We arrived with 14% SOC and were delighted to find that charging started at over 230kW. Awesome. We added 50% in 15mins which was barely sufficient time for a pie, chocolate milk and pit stop.

These SCs are getting plenty of use. Very convenient.

Or stay on same side and use the Evie 250kW (350kW on the label) and 5c /kWh cheaper - though you would be stuck with a Happy Meal🤣

Evie heading north Tesla going South?
The time you save on driving across the bridge is time you waste stuffing around with their app.

But if you have RFID, great, go for it!

(Except at peak daytime hours on holiday long weekends - it's cruel making the drivers of also-ran EV brands wait when we probably have a free stall at the pie shop)

Last edited:
No, Evie are available to all. Also-ran EV? Then in that case no problem for a Tesla to use an Evie charger - also because Tesla opening up SC to non Teslas
Courtesy goes a long way. And no, Exeter supercharger isn't open to all. Campbelltown & Tuggeranong are. Yass will be. But Exeter is a small 6 stall site on a very highly trafficked highway. I can't see it being opened up until after significant site expansion, or maybe the completion of other nearby sites (Marulan?).

Courtesy goes a long way.

Goes both ways...curious about the "also-ran EV" comment....Seems to me it's more about segregation of one type of EV to particular DC chargers...

Exeter is a small 6 stall site
So, are we saying Exeter should not be opened to non Teslas without expansion?
I say all DC chargers should be opened to all EV.

So, are we saying Exeter should not be opened to non Teslas without expansion?
Tesla, from the early days, invested its own money (really the money of we the purchasers) into charging infrastructure and thank goodness it did. Other manufacturers have not done this and rely on public chargers. When we bought our Tesla, one of the big attractions was the charging network and we realised that part of the big price we were paying made that possible. So, I am in favour of some of the busier SCs being restricted to Tesla only. I am also happy that where Tesla has benefited from State Government co-funding, those SCs are open for all as per the Govt requirement. I am also happy for some of the underutilised SCs to be open for all. I have been keeping an eye on Exeter and it is very well used. Evie over the road would be totally swamped if all the Tesla traffic from Exeter went over there. So Tesla is actually benefiting other EVs even when it invests in infrastructure that only Tesla can use. In the unlikely event that Exeter went to 12 stalls, I would support it being open to all but not at 6 stalls.

For Superchargers, in time, but not yet. And it’s totally up to Tesla when for each one where they funded it.

For example it would be madness for Tesla to open up the Broadway supercharger. It’s Australia’s busiest by a decent margin and fully occupied with waiting an extraordinary proportion of the time (I’ve seen waits of > 45 min reported - for an 8 stall site!). Tesla drivers would rightly feel insulted if that situation was made even worse by opening it up to other EVs.

Reactions: B3AU and Jules22
For Superchargers, in time, but not yet. And it’s totally up to Tesla when for each one where they funded it.

For example it would be madness for Tesla to open up the Broadway supercharger. It’s Australia’s busiest by a decent margin and fully occupied with waiting an extraordinary proportion of the time (I’ve seen waits of > 45 min reported - for an 8 stall site!). Tesla drivers would rightly feel insulted if that situation was made even worse by opening it up to other EVs.
Can you imagine the pricing for Non-Tesla EVs at Broadway…. I’m sure we’d see the $1/kWh mark cracked for the first time

Reactions: Vostok
Can you imagine the pricing for Non-Tesla EVs at Broadway…. I’m sure we’d see the $1/kWh mark cracked for the first time
IMO that supercharger is way too busy to be opened up to non-Tesla vehicles any time soon.

Perhaps, in time, if the load there were to reduce with other options in the area, yes (and I am aware of Forest Lodge under construction) - I don't think that alone will be enough to reduce the demand at Broadway enough.

Reactions: Jules22
Perhaps, in time, if the load there were to reduce with other options in the area, yes (and I am aware of Forest Lodge under construction) - I don't think that alone will be enough to reduce the demand at Broadway enough.

I think the rate of EV ownership growth in the inner city is greatly exceeding the rate of additional public charging infrastructure provision, so the odds of Broadway being opened up are close to zero. Forest Lodge will make a small dent in the rate of utilisation growth at Broadway.

The other consideration is Broadway is a logjam site. If all stalls are occupied, there is basically nowhere to wait, and you are forced to exit the car park before trying again, which is a complete pain. Adding non-Tesla EVs would make the whole site unworkable and bring it to a standstill. It would be a disaster.

Reactions: Jules22
Or stay on same side and use the Evie 250kW (350kW on the label) and 5c /kWh cheaper - though you would be stuck with a Happy Meal🤣

Evie heading north Tesla going South?

Let's try V * A which is 300-400V (depending on SOC) * 500A. Equates to ~190kW (maybe a fraction over 200kW in an S). CCS2 is limited to a measly 500A ..

(They both slow down pretty quickly, so is much of a muchness) ;)

Hmm...
Of course charging rates will differ according to SoC but the point is that that charger can charge at the same rate as the SC across the highway. And for some EV quicker for at least a few minutes
Not true for us. We were pulling 235KW from the SC at 14% SOC (claimed max for a 3LR is 250kW). Max we have ever got from the 350s is 180kW at the same SOC. The battery was preconditioned for Exeter whereas with our 350 sessions it has always been warm (>100km at 110km/hr) but possibly not optimum.

Reactions: Quickst