Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Exeter, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with Jugiong's Sir George when I travel to Wagga. Will still stop in Goulburn though.

Avoid Dog in tuckerbox . Oliver's just no good for food but it's got a supercharger. Yass service centre is another place to avoid.
Olivers has tsepped up their game recently though and last time we went through the food and coffee was great. All day breakfast now too :)

Actually Google maps appears to be doing the same.
View attachment 945785

I think I know what’s going on.

Google maps says the route above is the “fastest due to traffic conditions”.

But if you force it to take the other route via the service centre, you can see that the algorithm sees all the slow moving vehicles clustered around the service centre as congestion.

In the next screenshot I’ve forced the routing, instead of the default and it has a lot of yellow, which google maps interprets as congestion. So it favours the 110kph road because the traffic appears to be moving freely. It doesnt care that it’s a hairy move. Just that it’s a legally allowed route.

IMG_4777.jpg

Last edited:
In the next screenshot I’ve forced the routing, instead of the default and it has a lot of yellow, which google maps interprets as congestion. So it favours the 110kph road because the traffic appears to be moving freely. It doesnt care that it’s a hairy move. Just that it’s a legally allowed route.
I've just submitted feedback on that routing to Google, hopefully they deprioritise that u-turn enough to avoid it.

I've just submitted feedback on that routing to Google, hopefully they deprioritise that u-turn enough to avoid it.
You'd have thought *any* U-turn on a 100/110km/h freeway should have a "routing cost" of 10 minutes or so on it, just so it didn't get used in a route unless no other reasonable alternative existed.

That is, I would personally go at least 10 minutes out of my way to avoid an unprotected U-turn on a 110km/h motorway. With a high enough cost on a manoeuvre of that type, even a bit of congestion near some normal exit (as it seems it is seeing with the Shell servo and couple of turns to get to Heatherbrae Pies the "safe" way) wouldn't be enough to make it take the U-turn by preference unless the safe way was completely stuffed.

Obviously not though...

Actually now I think about it some GPS app or other (can't remember if it is Waze or TomTom) had a setting you could toggle to avoid scary turns. I don't remember the exact wording but it added an enormous routing cost to things like a U-turn on a busy/fast road, or a right turn onto a busy/fast road, so didn't route via them unless unavoidable. A setting like that in the Tesla nav system would be good (and I would definitely be using it).

Reactions: Hairyman
Hopefully drivers would use their brain and just use the northbound ramp and overpass, and ignore the suicide mission the Nav sends you on. Or is it unrealistic to think that these days? 🤔
Those who aren't familiar with the area wouldn't necessarily know to do that, though.

It would be nice if Tesla sprung for some signs on the appropriate exits pointing the way to Superchargers.

Is common sense common or uncommon?
Or as Albert Einstein is said to have remarked, is common sense "actually nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down in the mind prior to the age of eighteen."

Used the new charger on the weekend. My experience.

Friday 4pm : Very lightly used. But the pie shop was very busy. Though no issue using the toilets. Got full speed of 170kW, and a really quick charge. Managed to bypass Goulburn and Canberra, and top up at Cooma.

Monday : The charger was very busy all afternoon. Full more often than Goulburn. So I topped up to 90% at Southpoint Tuggeranong, which was empty. Then made it home to Eastern Suburbs in Sydney. Arrived with 17%.

This charger is really going to help reduce load on Goulburn. Especially on holiday weekends. The ease of charging on this holiday weekend, gives me great confidence that with charger monitoring, you can easily avoid charger hot spots in peak charge periods.

1686616764401.png

So I topped up to 90% at Southpoint Tuggeranong, which was empty.
Smart move. For a lot of this weekend, the Majura charger was full with queuing, yet the Tuggeranong charger was hardly used. Just the faster charging rate (you're not going to see more than 60kW at the V2 Majura site when it's full like that) alone will account for the additional travel time to Tuggeranong, never mind the queueing.

Reactions: moa999 and Astro66
Smart move. For a lot of this weekend, the Majura charger was full with queuing, yet the Tuggeranong charger was hardly used. Just the faster charging rate (you're not going to see more than 60kW at the V2 Majura site when it's full like that) alone will account for the additional travel time to Tuggeranong, never mind the queueing.
Can concur. I have run the figures through "A Better Route Planner". Charging at 120kW at Majura would mean a 5 min quicker transition through Canberra, over Tuggeranong's 170kW that my MY RWD gets. But being so busy and getting 60kW at Majura. It means the time is about the same, so any wait at Majura, is time lost.

So I will always do Majura when charging is light. And Southpoint when more than 2 stalls used at Majura.

Hi. We are only two weeks into our Tesla experience and travelled down to Canberra yesterday from Sydney with a stop at Exeter. Quick charge, pies for the kids and we were on our way.

Looking this morning, the navigation in the car says Exeter is temporarily out of service, and in the app it says 4 of 6 available but shows a grey scanner icon.

Which would I consider correct, the app or in the car?

I guess I can do a big charge at Majura and that should get me all the way home (MYLR).

Hi. We are only two weeks into our Tesla experience and travelled down to Canberra yesterday from Sydney with a stop at Exeter. Quick charge, pies for the kids and we were on our way.

Looking this morning, the navigation in the car says Exeter is temporarily out of service, and in the app it says 4 of 6 available but shows a grey scanner icon.

I guess I can do a big charge at Majura and that should get me all the way home (MYLR).
Plugshare not showing anything but last check in was yesterday.

You could top up at Goulburn and/or Campbeltown if Exeter turns out to be down

I see the same - spanner icon means something is definitely up with that charger (either dead or reduced capacity/speed).

I’d charge enough to get home in Goulburn. It’s less busy than it used to be now that Exeter exists, and there’s a park and playground across the road from it. Alternative would be to go to Exeter then if it turns out the Supercharger is indeed out of service or only slow-rate charging, then the Evie chargers behind the McDonalds (on the other/northbound side of the highway) are still there as a fallback. Goulburn Supercharger would still be my choice though.

Reactions: Jules22

Plugshare has Tesla's charging now. Owners message states chargers working despite what the Tesla app says. Maybe a communication problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I saw several supercharger outages on the MCU yesterday
Some of these “outages” are because of poor internet connection in the car itself. For whatever reason, the phone usually has better reception than the car. So just double-check in the app to see if there’s any outage and you can even use the personal hotspot on the phone to improve the car’s connectivity.

I don’t know why Tesla hasn’t fixed this problem, by showing a warning about internet connectivity instead of showing offline SCs.