Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grand Forks ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago (possibly last weekend), I was making the trip north from Fargo and when I got to Grand Forks, it was about -20f (-28C) if I recall correctly.
Is there a special reason they can't do construction?
We used to work, pulling wire & doing other electrical work, outside in -30C temperatures. No, we did not enjoy it, but it got done.
Now they have tents and heaters. Besides, the weather is getting so nice now, almost spring like.

I know that they can't do construction, But can some one tell us if the Grand Forks snow pile is larger or smaller?
IMG_0841.jpg
K2

A few weeks ago (possibly last weekend), I was making the trip north from Fargo and when I got to Grand Forks, it was about -20f (-28C) if I recall correctly.
Is there a special reason they can't do construction?
We used to work, pulling wire & doing other electrical work, outside in -30C temperatures. No, we did not enjoy it, but it got done.
Now they have tents and heaters. Besides, the weather is getting so nice now, almost spring like.
Ya they could do it. If they had to.

I know that they can't do construction, But can some one tell us if the Grand Forks snow pile is larger or smaller?
I depends on snowfall. I haven't heard of any big dumps recently, since I took the photo a month ago. (But then, ND weather is not high on my watch list). You can see on my last photo (Post #30) about a month ago, the pile was probably 10 to 12 feet. It's not going anywhere until spring, unless they get energetic about snow removal. I doubt that it would be specifically moved for SC construction, as mentioned there are plenty of other sites across ND better prepared - just need pulling cables and installing hardware. Fargo, Jamestown, Bismark, Dickinson... A week or two at each takes the crew into April before they have to worry about Grand Forks, and completes a route.

Other than the fun of working making connections in sub-zero temps, which can be alleviated with heated tents, another issue is that AFAIK wires become stiffer in cold weather, something less that fun when working with curved conduits and very thick wires.

I wonder if this is next when Jamestown is done? Jamestown appears to have had their hardware delivered at the same time construction started, but most of the TransCanada last year and several other sites around this area, the ground prep conduits and bases were done well before the charging hardware arrived. ,

I wouldn't be surprised if I-94 in North Dakota is turned on in the next month or so and Grand Forks and Pembina are pushed to next year or later. Which really sucks for those needing to go North/South in this area of the world.

There are L2 chargers in Morris (Tim Hortons) and Grand Forks (3 of them) which should make this trip easily do-able in warm weather.

Anything more on the Hillsboro L3 charger planned?

When we were in GF in January, besides admiring the snow pile, I was trying to figure out where the power feed would come from for that location indicated on the map. It seems it would require a fairly long feed from the road on the other side of TireOne. maybe utility side of the job is now delayed...

Last edited: