TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Hawthorne

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by highedu, Aug 30, 2013.

1. highedu

highedu Member

Look at this picture, is this new construction battery swap?

Attached Files:

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

What in that picture indicates battery swap?

3. highedu

highedu Member

Nothing indicates , I'm asking the question since they are digging up the area near the supercharger.

4. tigerade

tigerade Member

My understanding is incomplete, but I think I remember Elon saying that battery storage would be implemented at SuperCharger stations in order to upgrade their capability. I also think that Hawthrone was going to be the first place to get the 120kw upgraded SuperChargers. It could be both, one of the other, or perhaps neither. That is my speculation.

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

When I was there on Tuesday the construction worker said they were just tearing out the grasscrete and putting in concrete. Nothing very interesting.

6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    Supercharger - Hawthorne (2015 expansion & dashboard in lobby)

I work in the same complex as the Hawthorne Supercharger and pass by it everyday. It's incredible to see the amount Tesla's coming through here, so much so they added another two charging spots on the opposite side of the supercharger in the lot.

Any of you use this charging station regularly? Since I work close by I can easily post updates and photos of what the traffic is like here.

tesla-supercharger6121_zps738581c3.jpg
    Photo by: Linhbergh

7. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I'd be much more interested in the Supercharger Dashboard in the lobby of the design center (hint hint) :rolleyes:

8. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

I'd love to see an updated picture too!

9. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I was there the other day and the Dashboard was down, listing an error message of sorts.
    I emailed TM and requested that they post this online. They responded with something that basically said "Good idea. We'll think about it."

10. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Can't believe they haven't made a website out of the live data. Or at least pointed a webcam at the dashboard.

11. David99

David99 Active Member

I charge there about 4-6 times a month. The large screen showing the usage of all Superchargers has been down for a while now. Just been there two days ago again, still nothing. Yes it definitely is a busy location. But since they fixed the problems the old stalls had and added the two new ones I never saw it all the way full or even people waiting in line.

12. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    Well hopefully they consider adding 4SUPER9's great idea to the website. I'm happy to go by there for you guys throughout the week to see if it's back up or even see if it's busy for charging. I'll be posting a photo of the dashboard as soon as it's working again. :D

13. callmesam

callmesam Member

I took a picture of the dashboard ~ two weeks ago.

photo (23).JPG

14. jive_devil

jive_devil Member

Wow, looks like SJC took quite the load off Hawthorne!

15. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

This that another dot in GA? Valdosta? And Tampa, FL that we don't have on the map?

16. Lump

Lump Active Member

I can take some dashboard pictures on Thursday, we will be at the AYSO National Tournament in Torrance all weekend with lots of time to kill between games.

17. David99

David99 Active Member

Actually it didn't make much difference. When I took a screenshot just before SJC was opened, Hawthorne was at 68k kWh, now it is at 62. In April 2014 Hawthorne was at 50.

18. Owner

Owner Active Member

#18 Owner, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    I have some odd correlated data. For some reason in the last month or so, I have been getting a high number of hits on this post about this supercharger.

Hawthorne Supercharger | Tesla Owner

19. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Not as much of a difference as I would have thought too. OTOH, there are more Teslas on the road each week. How many of those are in this community is hard to tell. Probably not that significant.

My theory is that there were many people avoiding Hawthorne due to the long waits. With the 2 additional stalls, and SJC decompressing, more people are willing to use Hawthorne now. The waits are not nearly as bad, but all stalls are being kept busy. The net decrease was therefore small.

20. callmesam

callmesam Member

I've been noticing that the Hawthorne Supercharger is definitely NOT as busy as it used to be.

There are still often people there, but I haven't had to wait to charge in over a month.

I'm confident that SJC has been picking up slack and creating alternative charging opportunities for those travelling North and South.

I visit at usually twice a week on average.