Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - King of Prussia, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do remember that a large set of supercharges is quite a load on a local substation. And the expanded mall I am sure is already stressing the feeders to that area. PECO may need to plan how to feed this thing. (20 stalls = 10 superchargers at 130KW each (once at DC) so expect 140KW at AC, thats a 1.4MW feed, which is a healthy load on a substation. All depends on how much capacity is left on the feeders to that area.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenius
Do remember that a large set of supercharges is quite a load on a local substation. And the expanded mall I am sure is already stressing the feeders to that area. PECO may need to plan how to feed this thing. (20 stalls = 10 superchargers at 130KW each (once at DC) so expect 140KW at AC, thats a 1.4MW feed, which is a healthy load on a substation. All depends on how much capacity is left on the feeders to that area.

Sounds like a perfect fit for solar + batteries.

• Love
Reactions: Xenius and vdiv
What did Elon call it, "Big Corporatis", was afraid that Tesla would catch it? They already have it, consider their own customers in general to be the greatest threat. Transparency would show you the power availability (i.e. due to utility curtailment) and health state of each supercharger stall. Transparency would imply giving you access to the diagnostic screens on your own car, telling you the bugs that were fixed in each release, the changes that were made and why, and giving you detailed release notes before the release. Transparency would tell you if the suggestions for improvement you made were accepted and will be implemented and when, or rejected and why.

In the words of the infamous soup guy: "No transparency for you!" :(

I see the pluses and minuses to both. As an IT guy, when we give TOO much information to SOME people, it's so much worse. Can't please everyone. Wish we had more diagnostics information for sure. Giving out information for prospective sites for SuC could be an issue IF that site doesn't pan out. Then everyone is upset because they were COUNTING on it. Or they were bugging the you-know-what out of the municipality, corporate owner, utility. Tough call for sure.

Reactions: Xenius
Well whoever makes these decisions need to make them. I can see the demographics of the decision making, its clearly on the Tesla Superchargers app. Draw a circle around KOP and you have to go to DE, NJ (smells like poo) or ALLENTOWN for the closest Supercharger. TESLA looks as if it’s unwilling to give this area, which has some of the most affluent and high Tesla ownership rates, this benefit. So if you look at the facts, Tesla will have to supply free supercharging to an ever increasing 2nd and 3rd owner MS and X. I see plenty MS/X on the roads in Montgomery county. It seems adding a supercharger could cause problems due to how many vehicle purchase decisions are being predicated on if a supercharger is within 15 miles. I can tell you as someone living in northern Montgomery county that this has been part of my decision making. As a Tesla fanboy and adviocate since the MS, it’s always been out of my budget. But now with CPO prices dropping last year I almost pulled the trigger but the range anxiety of not having SC was the ultimate reason I kept driving my good old Accord. I want a Tesla so bad I hope they can get this show on the road. But my fear is that this is just what Tesla does not want. Why is is holding up on its progress? I feel they will need a much bigger operation to fulfill future capacity and should look north of KOP for value and access to Infrastructure improvements up 422 and 202. I can’t wait to dump my ICE vehicles and jump into a Tesla. I need your help Tesla, I hope they prove me wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
. I can tell you as someone living in northern Montgomery county that this has been part of my decision making. As a Tesla fanboy and adviocate since the MS, it’s always been out of my budget. But now with CPO prices dropping last year I almost pulled the trigger but the range anxiety of not having SC was the ultimate reason I kept driving my good old Accord. I want a Tesla so bad I hope they can get this show on the road. But my fear is that this is just what Tesla does not want. Why is is holding up on its progress? I feel they will need a much bigger operation to fulfill future capacity and should look north of KOP for value and access to Infrastructure improvements up 422 and 202. I can’t wait to dump my ICE vehicles and jump into a Tesla. I need your help Tesla, I hope they prove me wrong.

I presume charging at home is not an option for you? If it is an option, having a SuperCharger nearby has very little value and shouldn't have any bearing on your decision. Range anxiety is generally very uncommon in a Tesla. That said, a SuperCharger in the KoP area is still very much needed.

I presume charging at home is not an option for you? If it is an option, having a SuperCharger nearby has very little value and shouldn't have any bearing on your decision. Range anxiety is generally very uncommon in a Tesla. That said, a SuperCharger in the KoP area is still very much needed.

I agree with you and having never jumped into an electric purchase I guess it’s that anxiety as well. I drive around the Philly area for work and being able to stop there for lunch and shopping would just make sense for me. As for having a garage....I do(my wood shop)...but folks buying the M3 or used MS in the high 30’s may not. On the other hand they’re able to buy it due to the fact that one trip to the supercharger can give an average commuter (who may not have garage) a week of range.(in summer that is) :)

I just feel like if they put some small dinky station there it will get crushed. Maybe that is why it’s taking so long... Fingers crossed.

Range anxiety is vastly more common among non-owners than owners. Our Model 3 has over 300 miles of range. If you regularly drive 200 miles around town in a single day, you're very much the exception. Unless you are unable to even install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle at your place of residence, I would agree that 99% of the time, having a Supercharger within 20 miles of your house is meaningless. It's simply more convenient to charge overnight at home, unless you live somewhere that won't allow you to install a charger.

Superchargers are game changing for long distance travel, or for folks without the ability to install a home charger. But you didn't ask Verizon/AT&T/etc where the nearest public charging station is for your smartphone, right?

Reactions: jaguar36
Range anxiety is vastly more common among non-owners than owners.

I've said this many times. It was the same for me. I had range anxiety BEFORE I got my first Model S. I even had a few sleepless nights while waiting for the car to arrive thinking "what have I done?". Once I got the car and saw that the range meter drops about the same a gas gauge, I realized it wasn't an issue.

No more range anxiety, now we have charging anxiety ;)
Introducing e-Xanax! Just 8 pills every two hours will reduce EV anxieties of all sorts! Side effects include driving the spouse's rolling coal, participating in muscle car online forums, mourning the good old days, all deadly! ;)

The lack of superchargers in the Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs is an embarrassment imho. I hate to admit it but I've never used one. Which perplexes people when I am asked about the process - lol.

Kudos to the Devon Service Center however, happy that they are nearby. Why can't they have at least one? seems that would be a great sales demo.

Reactions: viper2ko and vdiv