Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lincoln, NE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone Has been posted on Plug Share that Tesla has already begun to installed transformers at Gothenburg NE. Anybody in the ares to check this out?
Here's the quote from Plugshare. Anybody know Earl with a Tesla Roadster?
Nebraska Barn and Grill
Go Back
Earl Sep 18, 2016 6:49 PM
Transformers are in place for the Tesla Superchargers that will be installed later this year.
negative_review_icon.png
Earl Sep 18, 2016 6:47 PM
Charger is down. Use Blue Heron Campground across the interstate.
positive_review_icon.png
Earl Jun 11, 2016 9:41 PM
Station is working fine. Successfully charged a Tesla Roadster at 70 amps before and after the Cozad Air Show.

Email received in July from Tesla

"Thank you for your email. We are currently scouting for locations closer to Lincoln and Gothenburg; we’re not currently targeting the York area. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers, especially in Nebraska, and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.

We appreciate your patience, enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Best regards,

The Tesla Supercharger Team"

You could go from Council Bluffs to Denver only stopping one time with a location in Gothenburg. If they placed it in York you would have two stops.

Council Bluffs to Gothenburg = 249 Miles
Lincoln to Gothenburg = 193 Miles
Gothenburg to Denver Airport= 292 Miles

You could go from Council Bluffs to Denver only stopping one time with a location in Gothenburg. If they placed it in York you would have two stops.

I have an 85D and I cannot make 292 miles, particularly up to Denver. I also, in bad weather, cannot make it 249 miles.
I believe Tesla knows this and will have more than one in Gothenburg.

I agree that in this sense, Gothenburg is a logical location. Although driving to DIA is a stretch (I think I could make it in my 90D, but it would require reasonably warm temps and driving well under the speed limit), continuing along I-80 to Cheyenne is more doable.

But of course, in the long term, there will need to be more NE superchargers and it does sound like they are planning on more in Nebraska. Patience people. I realize everyone has their own specific needs (such as driving a 60 across bumfuck Nebraska), but you have to think big picture and long term. Realistically this area of the SC network won't be drivable this coming winter, but I imagine by next summer the entire US interstate network will be drivable in a 85+, possibly even in a 60. Then next winter there might still be some dead zones in the north for a 60, but I'm guessing it will all be drivable for the 85s and up. Around May of 2018, it should all be completed for all Model S owners. Of course by then we will also have Model 3s on the road :)

Lastly, complaining about amenities at SCs in places like rural Nebraska is kind of ridiculous. The priorities should be logistics (spacing and easy on/off the freeway) and safety (for those of you who don't drive at night imagine charging by yourself at 3-4am). Amenities are a nice bonus, but I don't expect them in places like rural NE, WY, NV, etc.

i drive from west omaha to cozad, 10 miles east of Gothenburg, frequently, and with a 90% charge there are no conditions i can make it on the interstate doing the speed limit. i drive back roads totaling 224 mile with my "85" and i use every last mile i have and occasionally a few i dont have to get there. I have done this drive around a 100 times. i am not saying its impossible, but i cant figure out to do it and i have tried many methods. I see no chance of it happening in winter conditions, without an additional supercharger somewhere in between.

i drive from west omaha to cozad, 10 miles east of Gothenburg, frequently, and with a 90% charge there are no conditions i can make it on the interstate doing the speed limit. i drive back roads totaling 224 mile with my "85" and i use every last mile i have and occasionally a few i dont have to get there. I have done this drive around a 100 times. i am not saying its impossible, but i cant figure out to do it and i have tried many methods. I see no chance of it happening in winter conditions, without an additional supercharger somewhere in between.

Here are some ideas:

-charge to 100%
-turn on range mode
-turn off climate control
-drive 60mph or even less if legal*

*here is the a link to the relevant Nebraska law on minimum speed limits:
2006 Nebraska Revised Statutes - § 60-6,193 — Minimum speed regulation; impeding traffic.

Lastly, like I said, I highly doubt Gothenburg and Lincoln will be the last SCs in NE (someone mentioned quite a few other sites earlier in this thread). All I'm saying is that if Gothenburg gets added next, the adventurous 85+ owner could make the trip from Iowa to Wyoming along I-80 in average or above average temperatures.

Here are some ideas:

-charge to 100%
-turn on range mode
-drive 60mph or even less if legal*

*here is the a link to the relevant Nebraska law on minimum speed limits:
2006 Nebraska Revised Statutes - § 60-6,193 — Minimum speed regulation; impeding traffic.

Lastly, like I said, I highly doubt Gothenburg and Lincoln will be the last SCs in NE (someone mentioned quite a few other sites earlier in this thread). All I'm saying is that if Gothenburg gets added next, the adventurous 85+ owner could make the trip from Iowa to Wyoming along I-80 in average or above average temperatures.

with all due respect, non of the above options are optimal, i can do it on my bicycle if just getting there is the only goal. i understand that some sacrifices are made and believe me, in the past 4 yrs of ownership and close to 60k miles driven, i have made a few.
Elon envisions electric travel with minimal disruptions and sacrifices, or he is and we are wasting time and money driving and supporting Tesla.

with all due respect, non of the above options are optimal, i can do it on my bicycle if just getting there is the only goal. i understand that some sacrifices are made and believe me, in the past 4 yrs of ownership and close to 60k miles driven, i have made a few.
Elon envisions electric travel with minimal disruptions and sacrifices, or he is and we are wasting time and money driving and supporting Tesla.

Didn't say they were optimal. Just trying to help.

Here are some ideas:
-turn on range mode
In summer, these won't help enough to even bother with. In winter, preheating and setting the timer so that the charging ends about the same time you start driving will do more than range mode on long trips. On short trips, range mode will help.

Reactions: msksus1
Someone Has been posted on Plug Share that Tesla has already begun to installed transformers at
Gothenburg NE. Anybody in the ares to check this out?
I snooped around NE Barn and GRill and the comfort inn, same owners, and didn't see anything obvious as far as indicating a possible supercharging site. If something is going on its in its infancy phase. I will continue over the next month to observe this situation, but as others have pointed out Gothenburg was never mentioned at the meeting in Lincoln, so i too have my doubts.