Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a look this morning. There was an electrical crew working on a power pole behind the nearby building, perhaps making preparations to bring in power for the Supercharger? I didn't see any other activity or any Tesla crates inside the fenced area yet.

I'm curious where the transformer and cabinets will end up. There isn't really any open area to put things. Hopefully the plan is to sacrifice a few existing parking spaces rather than taking out a tree or two. There isn't much going on in this corner of the shopping center so I don't think the spots will be missed.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS and plumazul
can i just say how excited i am for this - i was just complaining to my husband the other day how annoying it is that san antonio doesn't have a super charger. we make the drive down to SA from dallas several times a year and I have wanted to take Model3 but hubs was wary with no supercharger nearby. and doesn't seem like many decently-priced hotels have fast charging speeds. san marcos is convenient when traveling there but not as convenient if we are staying in SA for a few days

Reactions: CarlS and plumazul
can i just say how excited i am for this - i was just complaining to my husband the other day how annoying it is that san antonio doesn't have a super charger. we make the drive down to SA from dallas several times a year and I have wanted to take Model3 but hubs was wary with no supercharger nearby. and doesn't seem like many decently-priced hotels have fast charging speeds. san marcos is convenient when traveling there but not as convenient if we are staying in SA for a few days
If you are staying downtown there are several hotels and chargers in city garages. PlugShare.com

Yeah, San Antonio is one of the easier cities to visit in an EV, in my opinion. The city garages are way cheaper than valet parking and charging was free the last time I was there.

PS: One charger in one garage is on the top floor. I could see the car from my room several blocks away. I must be easily amused, because I enjoyed using the mobile app to flash the lights and see it work from so far away.

Last edited:
Basing on the google satellite view it looks like those spots could get easily ICED. Here's hoping whoever owns the Huebner Oaks shopping center actually tows ICE cars away quickly.
At this time the retail space nearest the future Supercharger is vacant. So for the time being I don't think ICEing is going to be a problem. We'll see what happens if and when the shopping center finds a tenant for that end of the building.

Riverwalk Plaza Hotel can be pretty reasonable for a Riverwalk hotel. They have Destination Charging.

• Informative
Reactions: sweetneet and CarlS
Yeah, San Antonio is one of the easier cities to visit in an EV, in my opinion. The city garages are way cheaper than valet parking and charging was free the last time I was there.

PS: One charger in one garage is on the top floor. I could see the car from my room several blocks away. I must be easily amused, because I enjoyed using the mobile app to flash the lights and see it work from so far away.
The connection to the car is plain old internet, layered on the car end as either the cell phone network or wifi in your garage. The phone end is whatever your phone supports. The traffic for this connection can travel major distances around the world, even if you can see the car. It is not like the key fob connection which is limited to a few dozens of meters. As long as you have internet connectivitiy, you could flash your car lights with the car in Paris, TX while you were on the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France.

The connection to the car is plain old internet, layered on the car end as either the cell phone network or wifi in your garage. The phone end is whatever your phone supports. The traffic for this connection can travel major distances around the world, even if you can see the car. It is not like the key fob connection which is limited to a few dozens of meters. As long as you have internet connectivitiy, you could flash your car lights with the car in Paris, TX while you were on the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France.
Oh, I know. I just liked seeing the action at a distance.
My wife showed our friends the "horn" remote feature when she was visiting our friends in New Zealand. The dogs were not amused by the apparent overly-noisy intruder.

• Funny
Reactions: CarlS
5 cabinets and 10 posts, so no it's not V3!! (before anyone asks :p )
Yeah, looks like all the V3 gear they can make right now is headed to Saskatchewan. :p

P.S. And groups of 3 stalls appears to be how V3 is being deployed right now, rather than what you'd expect with how the V3 hardware configuration has been described.

<edit> Because "is it V3?" is a big topic here; For those interested in the differences being seen during construction in Moose Jaw, SK and why it is now suspected they are going to be V3 you can read up here: Supercharger - Moose Jaw, SK The first page is mostly doubting, tide starts turning on page 2 as more details come out and people are trying to square what is being seen. For example the tubes going to the pedestals are labeled 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C, and the transformer capacity is double what's usually seen at a V2 6 stall installation.

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and CarlS
If you are staying downtown there are several hotels and chargers in city garages. PlugShare.com
Thanks. The issue is we go to visit my in-laws (not so much to sight-see) so would be using hotel mainly as a place for me to stay and charge the car overnight. I see there are places like Hotel Emma but is rather expensive - we don’t go there to sight- see. We never stay in hotels there and usually stay at my ILs but they do not have a garage and the neighborhood isn’t the greatest , so hesitant to leave a Tesla there, plus lacking of charging option.

It seemed like Comfort Suites near the Alamo may be best option - cheapest they wasn’t too far. I saw there were destination chargers at various places but many only had one or two and I worry about them being hogged by locals or otherwise unavailable.

Thanks. The issue is we go to visit my in-laws (not so much to sight-see)...
Gear I pack for visiting relatives in The Void. Soon to be augmented by a longer length of AWG 6/2, leftover from the second garage charger, in case I need more for reach. The box was $25, the wire was some leftover scrap but you should be able to get something suitable for a short pigtail like that for under $15 off the roll at the local building supply store.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 9.54.48 AM.png

Surely if you're welcome to stay at the house you're welcome to tie into their panel. ;)

As long as you stay at a hotel or AirBnB with level 2 charging (6-10 kw), then that should be fast enough for you to charge overnight to have enough charge to drive your Tesla all around San Antonio for the entire next day. I do this all the time whenever I go to Houston by plugging into my parent's NEMA 14-30 outlet overnight.

Reactions: SammichLover
It's probably irrelevant, but the parking in front of the Huebner Oaks Chipotle just got a bunch of new yellow paint indicators.
I can't make heads or tails of what it's supposed to be. The spots aren't even large enough for cars to park in.

View attachment 429595 View attachment 429596
This has happened before in this parking lot. Not related to Supercharger construction. I suspect it is marking booth spaces for a festival or craft show.