Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a trip to San Antonio last weekend for a graduation. Was at a hotel without charging options - we stayed there because my folks paid for it via their BlueGreen timeshare. While it was fairly easy to do in my LR 3, we did have to charge at San Marcos on the way there and on the way back (we arrived with about 50 miles of range). As such, I can better appreciate how people with shorter range vehicles could have issues if they were likewise forced to stay someplace without destination charging.

Had a brief period of free time where we tried a ChargePoint. First location was offline, second was as slow as charging via my dryer outlet. It was also pricy ($2) for the 15 miles I gained, but that because we had to leave after 45 minutes and they charge $1 an hour with a 2-hour minimum. $2 for 44 miles would have been more equitable.
I certainly have empathy for those that can't just easily boycott the city like I have, that have a pressing need to get there.

I've pretty much given up on using those paid L2 charging chains in Texas. Any of them. Cumbersome as all get out, often to the point that I can't get them to work at all. If there is anything remotely close to the type of paid, frictionless, reliable charging that a Tesla SC provides (even setting aside price and charging rates) I don't think it has arrived here. Maybe in California or Europe this has been sorted by someone?

I certainly have empathy for those that can't just easily boycott the city like I have, that have a pressing need to get there.

I've pretty much given up on using those paid L2 charging chains in Texas. Any of them. Cumbersome as all get out, often to the point that I can't get them to work at all. If there is anything remotely close to the type of paid, frictionless, reliable charging that a Tesla SC provides (even setting aside price and charging rates) I don't think it has arrived here. Maybe in California or Europe this has been sorted by someone?
Not sure if they are in Texas, but Chargepoint is fairly reliable. Can activate with the fob or through the phone app. But otherwise I generally agree that the rest are terrible. Paying for something that isn't even guaranteed to work is not a winning business model. In terms of L2 charging, I generally search for HPWCs, Chargepoints and FREE L2 chargers. I am not really that picky about the price, but when it is a FREE charger, that is one less thing that can go wrong with the initiation process.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
I stayed in downtown SA over Memorial Day weekend and parked in a city garage with two free ChargePoint stations. They worked just fine and I never had issues getting access despite the garage also being used for the theatre where Hamilton is playing, Not knowing access would be okay ahead of time, I made sure I charged up well in Flatonia before getting there.

Jacob goes on his vacation and forgets to bury the paperwork enough so his stand-in stumbles across it. Oops, really putting that monthly complementary oil change and service for his truck at risk here. It better be a short vacation or the gravy train is gonna derail. ;)

Looks like Jacob erased all evidence of anyone else acting on this. Oh well, DENIED again.

• Helpful
I stayed in downtown SA over Memorial Day weekend and parked in a city garage with two free ChargePoint stations. They worked just fine and I never had issues getting access despite the garage also being used for the theatre where Hamilton is playing, Not knowing access would be okay ahead of time, I made sure I charged up well in Flatonia before getting there.
I’m with Plus with what I’ve seen. There is a gargage on Texas A&M campus that has two identical EVGo chargers next to each other. I’ve used the “free” one (parking costs) several times over last 1.5 years. Never failed me. I’ve made 3 attempts to use the paid one. Never have been able to get a single Wh out of it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jacob goes on his vacation and forgets to bury the paperwork enough so his stand-in stumbles across it. Oops, really putting that monthly complementary oil change and service for his truck at risk here. It better be a short vacation or the gravy train is gonna derail. ;)
Looking at the latest review detail it appears they're waiting for a site inspection from COSA (City of San Antonio). Hopefully they'll be satisfied.

Looking at the latest review detail it appears they're waiting for a site inspection from COSA (City of San Antonio). Hopefully they'll be satisfied.
There's actually some newer info than that. As referenced in richtrav's comment, the Tree reviewer's notes on the denial from 6/24 said, "TREE REVIEW ON HOLD PENDING: 1. COSA ENVIRONMENTAL SITE INSPECTION TO VERIFY ANY PROTECTED TREES WITHIN PROJECT LIMITS." A Preliminary Tree inspection was conducted on 06/25 which passed, confirming no protected trees in the location. So, hopefully, that will get the application a bit further along this last outstanding section review. (NB: just because the inspection passed doesn't mean the plans will automatically be approved)

• Informative
TREE APPROVED!!! Supercharger open by end of year??

INSTALLATION OF ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING EQUIPMENT WITHIN EXISTING PARKING STALLS. INSTALLATION WILL INCLUDE (5) TELSA CHARGING CABINETS, (10) TESLA CHARGING POST, (1) LINCOLN SWITCHGEAR ASSEMBLY, (1) UTILITY TRANSFORMER, (1) PEDESTRIAN LIGHT FIXTURE. *** PROPERTY ZONED C-3. SEE GIS ZONING MAP IN OLE *** // GENERAL NOTES, TERMS, AND CONDTIONS: 35-523 (K) (5) ALL OFFSITE STAGING, STORAGE, PROJECT TRAILERS, EMPLOYEE PARKING, ETC. ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLY WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE APPROVED TREE PERMIT. 35-477 (J) IT SHALL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PERMIT HOLDER TO MAINTAIN A COPY OF THE TREE PERMIT, THE DATA AND DRAWINGS REQUIRED BY THIS SECTION, AND THE CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL IMPOSED BY THE CITY ARBORIST READILY AVAILABLE AT THE SITE AT ALL TIMES DURING WHICH THE AUTHORIZED WORK IS IN PROGRESS. 35-523 (K) (4) ALL BROKEN BRANCHES & EXPOSED ROOTS 2" IN DIAMETER OR GREATER OF SIGNIFICANT, HERITAGE OR MITIGATION TREES SHALL BE CUT CLEANLY. FOR OAK SPECIES, IN ORDER TO PREVENT OAK WILT INFECTION, WOUNDS MUST BE PAINTED WITHIN 30 MIN. 21-170 (B) ALL WOUNDS TO THE TRUNK, LIMBS, AND ROOT SYSTEM OF OAK TREES IN THE CITY THAT EXPOSE SAPWOOD SHALL BE PAINTED WITHIN 30 MIN. OF THE WOUND WITH ASPHALTIC, EXTERIOR OIL OR LATEX BASED PAINT. 35-511 (E) A PROTECTIVE BARRIER, BEGINNING AT THE OUTSIDE OF THE DRIPLINE OF THE TREE, TO PROTECT THE ROOT PROTECTION ZONE SHALL BE ERECTED AND MAINTAINED UNTIL CONSTRUCTION IS COMPLETED. 35-523 (K) (2) THE BARRIER SHALL BE IN PLACE BEFORE ANY SITE WORK IS INITIATED AND MAINTAINED THROUGHOUT THE CONSTRUCTION PROCESS. 35-477 (5) (C) A PRE-CONSTRUCTION MEETING IS REQUIRED TO REVIEW PROCEDURES FOR PROTECTION AND MANAGEMENT OF ALL SIGNIFICANT, HERITAGE OR MITIGATION TREES. THIS CAN BE SCHEDULED WITH THE FENCING INSPECTION, 207.1111. REFERENCE AP# PROVIDED ABOVE. 35-477 (I) A TREE PRESERVATION PERMIT SHALL REMAIN VALID FOR THE LONGER OF: THE PERIOD OF VALIDITY OF THE PERMIT OR AUTHORIZATION THAT TRIGGERED THE REQUIREMENT FOR OBTAINING THE TREE PRESERVATION PERMIT (I.E. BUILDING PERMIT, PLAT, ETC.); OR ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY (180) DAYS FROM THE DATE OF ISSUANCE IF THE TREE PERMIT WAS OBTAINED SOLELY FOR THE REMOVAL OF TREES. SANCHEZ 06/27/19

Last edited:
I see there are 2 Supercharging stations in the permit mode on north side of San Antonio and 1 in Boerne. Don't know how long it's going to be until they're open.
I have family moving to San Antonio so they will come in handy whenever they open.

One is for 12 stalls at 4331 Thousand Oaks Dr.
One is for 10 stalls at 11745 IH-10 West.
10 stalls for Boerne along the frontage road.

I see there are 2 Supercharging stations in the permit mode on north side of San Antonio and 1 in Boerne. Don't know how long it's going to be until they're open.
I have family moving to San Antonio so they will come in handy whenever they open.

One is for 12 stalls at 4331 Thousand Oaks Dr.
One is for 10 stalls at 11745 IH-10 West.
10 stalls for Boerne along the frontage road.

I wish there was more than the one at 11745 IH-10 West, but there's not. At this point it will be cause for celebration just to get the one.