Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you talking about Red again? If so, NO, that's not it. The reason Tesla doesn't have a Supercharger in San Antonio is because they haven't put one there.

Unless there is proof that the car dealerships are lobbying the 'Tree' department of the permit office, I'm more convinced than ever that this is the fault of Tesla. The most recent permit here: <Reviews> shows explicitly what needs to be done here <ReviewDetail> and all other parts of the permit are signed off on. So unless I'm missing something, Tesla just doesn't care much about getting this done anytime soon as they haven't pushed this since February.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
So I did this as an exercise of superchargers per people in the state (as I can't find Tesla registered per state), then iterated those numbers to determine how many more (or fewer) superchargers each state would need to add (or subtract) to get to the median levels of all states. Basically who is the most ahead, who is keeping up, and who is falling behind in the supercharger build out.
Without being based on Tesla’s per state, it is an interesting data point, but really isn’t relevant. Am I missing something?

Tesla in California has dug it’s own hole with high electric prices and free unlimited Tesla charging.

I’d like a SpC in SA because I visit there. I don’t care about Austin because I live here. Many people want them where they live for the free juice.

Yes, Tesla is certainly somewhat at fault in the delay of an SC in SA - perhaps in underestimating the influence of billionaires in small municipalities. The documentation in newspapers and such is there - if you bother to look it up.

We're dealing with successful, highly motivated institutions and individuals here. They are neither stupid nor naive.
Good luck finding "proof" of anything related to blocking Tesla.

Tesla has been outmaneuvered in Texas for years now. I hate that - but it is what it is.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
I honestly no longer care about this supercharger. I don't understand why they couldn't put this at the service center, much the same way they did at the North Houston location if they are so outmaneuvered.

If Tesla doesn't care enough to put a supercharger in the largest city in not just the US, but North America (excluding Havana as American cars haven't sold well there in quite some time...) without a supercharger, then why should any of the rest of us. I'm done holding out any hope that they'll get their act together enough to care about this state until the legislature threatens to make it difficult for them to do business here. They still haven't reopened the one in Forth Worth after being closed for nearly 6 months, and they now have construction in 4 places (and maybe one reopening), 6 months in to the year, in a state with a population of nearly 30,000,000 people.

I'll slow charge around town where I can but until some actual construction begins, I don't think I'm alone in saying thanks Tesla for your great work in Texas in 2019.

I love the car and wish nothing but the best for the company, but this has been a joke.
Just FYI, the original permit for this place is nearly 2 years old and yes I know North Dakota, but the entire population of that state is a little over half of San Antonio.

Kazakhastan before San Antonio.
<<Tesla is expanding in Kazakhstan this year, says Elon Musk - Electrek>>

I don't think they've put any new superchargers at service centers in at least a couple years. In fact, they have been making many of those service center superchargers no longer available to the public so the service centers can use them exclusively. It's just a bad model now with the volumes they are dealing with. Was a different story back in 2013-14.

Reactions: SammichLover
Took a trip to San Antonio last weekend for a graduation. Was at a hotel without charging options - we stayed there because my folks paid for it via their BlueGreen timeshare. While it was fairly easy to do in my LR 3, we did have to charge at San Marcos on the way there and on the way back (we arrived with about 50 miles of range). As such, I can better appreciate how people with shorter range vehicles could have issues if they were likewise forced to stay someplace without destination charging.

Had a brief period of free time where we tried a ChargePoint. First location was offline, second was as slow as charging via my dryer outlet. It was also pricy ($2) for the 15 miles I gained, but that because we had to leave after 45 minutes and they charge $1 an hour with a 2-hour minimum. $2 for 44 miles would have been more equitable.

Reactions: CarlS
While they are certainly not Superchargers, the HPWCs at the Tesla Service Center in San Antonio can be life savers. while be wait for the real thing. As for the chargers at HEB, my ChargePoint app doesn't show them but they work with my ChargePoint card? So what gives? How do I pay? Who bills me?

a.jpg

Reactions: mociaf9