Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I meant for my, the owners come through and help out the company, but the company then adds 0 new superchargers to the state.
If you check through this sub-forum you'll find that "0 new superchargers" in Texas isn't the case. Even in the short timeframe involved here.

Understandable fustration with the huge delay in getting a San Antonia area SC or two notwithstanding, Tesla continues to roll out Superchargers here in Texas.

If you check through this sub-forum you'll find that "0 new superchargers" in Texas isn't the case. Even in the short timeframe involved here.

Understandable fustration with the huge delay in getting a San Antonia area SC or two notwithstanding, Tesla continues to roll out Superchargers here in Texas.

I'm sorry, I guess I missed some. Could you please point out to me where the in the entire state, we've had new superchargers open in 2019? Ft. Worth closed, and still hasn't come back online, so where is the continued roll-out you speak of?

Last I checked, and I must admit I haven't driven all over the state by any stretch this year, that Texas is now at -1 new supercharger locations for the year, while California and Florida (the two states nearest us in population) have had 15 and 4 new spots open respectively. You can even expand the field to any state that touches Texas, and unless I've missed something, all 5 of us haven't had a single supercharger location open in the 'short timeframe' of the entire year thus far.

• Disagree
Reactions: SammichLover
I'm sorry, I guess I missed some. Could you please point out to me where the in the entire state, we've had new superchargers open in 2019? Ft. Worth closed, and still hasn't come back online, so where is the continued roll-out you speak of?
Seriously, how thick are you? Or are you just pretending so you can moan? "If you check through this sub-forum..."

There's two sites currently in active state of construction. Cabinets on site, ground opened up, conduits being run, etc. The threads for both of these are in the top 10 in this subform, with pictures taken by people that have visited them. That's not even getting into the ones in the permit stage.

The cones for them are also on supercharge.info , along with the stuff in permit stage.

Alright guys. Let's play nice.

I believe Mark is correct that no new superchargers have opened in Texas in 2019. Of course there will be some that open in the near future. While I don't necessarily agree with comparing to states like California (I travel often to CA and the shortage of superchargers was a near crisis situation there about a year ago), I think it's fair to say that the nationwide supercharger progress in recent months has been disappointing.

Reactions: Electroman
Alright guys. Let's play nice.

I believe Mark is correct that no new superchargers have opened in Texas in 2019. Of course there will be some that open in the near future. While I don't necessarily agree with comparing to states like California (I travel often to CA and the shortage of superchargers was a near crisis situation there about a year ago), I think it's fair to say that the nationwide supercharger progress in recent months has been disappointing.
Two opened in TX in mid-December 2018. They set an arbitrary measurement "opened in 2019" that at best was accidentally set in a way that missed four recent SC, out of roughly 40 SC total in the state. Depending on exactly the day the switch is thrown on the two new ones that are well into construction that'll be a 10%+ increase in SC count over about 7 months. Plus the refurbishment of San Marcos finished in December. That'll be the same as the 7 months prior to that, four new SC finished plus a refurb in Waco.

<edit> We aren't in the burst to lay out the larger backbone that was going on in 2017 and early 2018 but at best they made a garbage assertion underpinned by a shiftless "last I checked". At worst it was a distinction cherrypicked to rationalized an excuse to complain.

Last edited:
First, 'soon to open' in this thread, or along I-10 in Texas in general (see Ft. Stockton) has been a perpetual state of permits and survey flags. So sorry if I don't get too excited for about to open, in the future, sometime.

As for the time frame, sorry I arbitrarily picked things like opened this year, I guess rolling 12 months would be better?
In that case, 2 in west Texas opened to allow I-10 and I-20 travel, as well as 2 in greater Houston, and 2 in the metroplex (one of which has since closed and not reopened). They may have done some expansions in locations, I'll grant you that, but those don't allow for movement to any new locations. That also means 0 new locations have opened in Austin, San Antonio, or anywhere else along a highway in a growing state with the second largest population in the country.

Call it complaining all you'd like, but you are on a San Antonio supercharger message board, where the original permit is now approaching 600 days old, and there is still 0 signs of anything being built. I'd call that a problem. In addition, the only link on I-10 from Los Angeles to Jacksonville that isn't filled in, sits in the 7th largest city in the country.

Reactions: CarlS
Life lesson; When you've put yourself down at the bottom of a hole it is time to stop digging and set down the shovel.

First, 'soon to open' in this thread, or along I-10 in Texas in general (see Ft. Stockton) has been a perpetual state of permits and survey flags. So sorry if I don't get too excited for about to open, in the future, sometime.
Actual equipment on site is an entirely different story than the permit limbo Fort Stockton went though. But hold on, what were the standards you were using when complaining about the state of affairs in TX?

I don't know about the V3 superchargers putting the new superchargers on hold, since the announcement, early March, California has had 6 new superchargers begin construction and others get permitted.

Huh. Even permits count for you....when it suits rationalizing your rant.

As for the time frame, sorry I arbitrarily picked things like opened this year, I guess rolling 12 months would be better?
In that case, 2 in west Texas opened to allow I-10 and I-20 travel, as well as 2 in greater Houston, and 2 in the metroplex (one of which has since closed and not reopened). They may have done some expansions in locations, I'll grant you that, but those don't allow for movement to any new locations. That also means 0 new locations have opened in Austin, San Antonio, or anywhere else along a highway in a growing state with the second largest population in the country.

My bolding; Except the two in Houston, which both along highways US69/SH6 and US290/Beltway 8 making some intrastate North-South routes a lot more direct and easy. Oh, and the two on I-10 and I-20, obviously. Plus the 2 refurbs that bumped stall counts and peak charging per vehicle ability along two connecting routes, whether or not you're in the moment now deciding these don't count. So actually most of them.

Call it complaining all you'd like, but you are on a San Antonio supercharger message board, where the original permit is now approaching 600 days old, and there is still 0 signs of anything being built. I'd call that a problem. In addition, the only link on I-10 from Los Angeles to Jacksonville that isn't filled in, sits in the 7th largest city in the country.

Any Tesla, even the Model S 40 on a good day :eek: if one ever found the constitution to get itself all the way out here, can cross that "gap" by using the Highway 80-306-436 path which a beautiful drive, the shortest path, and stops over at the San Marcos refurb if your vehicle isn't up to the full 195 miles. The longer range Teslas of course can just stay on I10 if they wish and drive straight through.

There is a very good reason why a number of people on here went to Fort Stockton to tap in a Golden Spike, that was the last actual SC gap on that southern route. The rest is really filling in to ease intra-state lateral travel, and local charging with the Urbans (although Stonelake is indirectly about getting Austin back to a reliable distance connector SC).

Of course plenty of us aren't happy that a San Antonio-proper SC isn't installed yet. But it is pretty clear that has nothing to do with Tesla abandoning the state, and far more to do with bureaucratic issues within San Antonio, whether by malice or not.

The time for you to have put down the shovel was a couple of posts ago. Ready for that yet?

Last edited:
Yep, you win. Sorry those of us on this message board were speaking about the lack of progress on a San Antonio supercharger and how that was frustrating to us. I guess we'll go back now to being happy about Austin having 8 stalls, with more coming, and the wonderful scenic drives around San Antonio since none of us would ever be driving in to the city...

Thanks Tesla for the wonderful progress you've made with the permit <Reviews> and update to San Marcos, we are all eternally grateful.

The thing is that even one SC station in San Antonio won't be enough, nowadays.

I had hoped that with paid charging being the norm, Tesla would be able to apply more money to the SC buildout; instead it's on pause pending v3 chargers. The wait is frustrating, hope false, and the estimated schedule on their map is misleading at best.

Any Tesla, even the Model S 40 on a good day :eek: if one ever found the constitution to get itself all the way out here, can cross that "gap" by using the Highway 80-306-436 path which a beautiful drive, the shortest path, and stops over at the San Marcos refurb if your vehicle isn't up to the full 195 miles. The longer range Teslas of course can just stay on I10 if they wish and drive straight through.

Have you ever been to San Antonio? Do you know where it is?
A Supercharger in San Antonio is the topic of this thread.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
[Note: the following META comment is meant in fun, not as a rebuke]
The thing is that even one SC station in San Antonio won't be enough, nowadays.
48. We have now officially entered Phase 3 and it only took 48 posts to get there! A record? Almost certainly not. @PLUS EV , you were way too pessimistic; Tesla hasn't even broken ground yet. :D
My favorite thing about supercharger threads is when we make the switch from begging for a supercharger in city ABC to complaining about where they put it. Then when it opens, we say "Now if we can just get another supercharger in City XYZ!"
Huebner Oaks would be OK. I've been to that shopping center a couple of times to visit the REI. La Cantera (further north/west on I-10, near the intersection of loop 1604 and I-10) would probably be better. Maybe in the future there will be something there too.
Kart meet horse in this city. As for the location, and sorry in advance to anyone who finds those of us who frequent the city for giving an opinion about the location (see above), but this is less than ideal. At this point, anything within 20 miles of the city center is better than nothing though.
TMC Supercharger Thread Development Schedule (length for this thread):
Phase 0: Tesla planning pin or general supercharging hopes and dreams. Discussion about dire need for local Superchargers, potential sites and their benefits or drawbacks, schedule/timing speculation, and general developments. (261 posts)

Phase 1: Discovery of the actual planned location/permit. Celebration and intensified discussion of potential construction timing. Discovery of subsequent information or related filings. (2 posts; this one is often very short)

Phase 2: Begin complaints/regrets about the chosen location and debate on which obvious locations would clearly have been better. Spin our wheels while we wait to see some tangible action. (48 posts)

Phase 3: Coverage of actual construction activities as well as the on-going supercharger operation once it is live. And/Or discussion of proposed chargers being insufficient to meet the area's current or future supercharging needs. And that at least one more supercharger would really cover things much better. (One way or another, this status is more-or-less always true or eventually will be. Hence, once begun, this phase lasts forever)

[NB: Phases can overlap and don't necessarily end on the start of the subsequent phase, but they begin on first qualifying post.]

[Note: the following META comment is meant in fun, not as a rebuke]

48. We have now officially entered Phase 3 and it only took 48 posts to get there! A record? Almost certainly not. @PLUS EV , you were way too pessimistic; Tesla hasn't even broken ground yet. :DTMC Supercharger Thread Development Schedule (length for this thread):
Phase 0: Tesla planning pin or general supercharging hopes and dreams. Discussion about dire need for local Superchargers, potential sites and their benefits or drawbacks, schedule/timing speculation, and general developments. (261 posts)

Phase 1: Discovery of the actual planned location/permit. Celebration and intensified discussion of potential construction timing. Discovery of subsequent information or related filings. (2 posts; this one is often very short)

Phase 2: Begin complaints/regrets about the chosen location and debate on which obvious locations would clearly have been better. Spin our wheels while we wait to see some tangible action. (48 posts)

Phase 3: Coverage of actual construction activities as well as the on-going supercharger operation once it is live. And/Or discussion of proposed chargers being insufficient to meet the area's current or future supercharging needs. And that at least one more supercharger would really cover things much better. (One way or another, this status is more-or-less always true or eventually will be. Hence, once begun, this phase lasts forever)

[NB: Phases can overlap and don't necessarily end on the start of the subsequent phase, but they begin on first qualifying post.]
Where is there "actual construction activities"? I must have missed that development...

Where is there "actual construction activities"? I must have missed that development...
I wish. It was the, "Or discussion of proposed chargers being insufficient to meet the area's current or future supercharging needs," that triggered Phase 3 in this case. See the very top quote from my comment. Above the big "48".

Have you ever been to San Antonio? Do you know where it is?
I have been there before. I could go with my Model 3, and other Tesla owners are able to go, with some effort. However I have chosen to not go to San Antonio, and I have sent communications to the city saying exactly why I am not visiting. What my expectations are, and my conditions for starting to visit them again.

Actual reasonable effort toward getting a SC there (I'm more about Boerne, but Hueber will likely work to get me a Eastern entrance to the Three Sisters route, so I don't have to go via Junction). In
contrast to Mark, I'll add.
A Supercharger in San Antonio is the topic of this thread.
That's my point, right? Mark went out in the weeds on a dubiously framed wide-Texas rant, and then doubled down and stepped in it again with factually incorrect follow ups. That is counterproductive to getting a SC because it is pointing frustration in the wrong direction, is building a myth that Tesla doesn't care about Texas at all much less SA. Taking even a casual look at what Tesla has been doing here over the last 4-5 years you'll see that wasn't the case and evidence remains strong that it still isn't the case.

It follows logically from there that we need to point efforts towards San Antonio itself to persuade and cajole. The smaller towns definitely notice, at the Fort Stockton golden spike this was explicitly stated. Now SA is going to need more effort to leave the same impression but all the more reason not to go wasting motivation down Mark's red herring path.

Last edited:
Reactions: DriverOne