Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not always possible to stay somewhere with a destination charger (Hobart has only one place IIRC) and then you’re having to spend hours at MoNA to get half a charge.

That's such a low number for a capital city. I suppose that once there's a supercharger then the hotel management gets a prompter for the opportunity. I mean, Port Macquarie is a fraction of the size and has 3 destination chargers (with a 4th installed but not hooked up yet, I'm told). They vary in 'stars' too.

There's a solution to that - more destination chargers :)

Yep. Also if you choose a hotel based on destination charging - make sure you tell them.

There's a solution to that - more destination chargers :)

I'd love a supercharger in Hobart too, but being realistic - it is Tassie, we have a small population, and can't expect too much too soon. And there *will* be a DC fast charger here soon enough.
But DCs force your hand when choosing accommodation. You literally must stay there or you'll be stranded. It's not really very nice (although I've done plenty of trips with a "where can I charge" theme :)

Having a SC in the city means you can top up whenever needed, stay wherever you like, stay as long as you like, fully charge before departing, etc etc.

Hobart is bigger than all the NSW towns getting superchargers this year, and Launceston is in the same ballpark. I reckon Tasmania deserves at least two SCs, and my personal opinion is that the cities are best spots. Especially as we leave the 'free' supercharging era.

If you’re there for an extended stay, don’t you reward the business with destination charging by staying there like I did in January? It made the stay all the more enjoyable as I never had an issue with range anxiety during my time there.
Quick charging puts big loads on the electricity infrastructure both in terms of cost of installing and loads during charging, so really needs to be reserved for touring routes.
On that particular trip I stayed in 3 places with destination charges: Atura Albury, Strahan Village and Coastal Pods in Wynyard (highly recommended BTW).
But in Hobart I was staying with family, and their wall plug couldn't keep up with my day trips. Ended up needing to stop at MoNA on the way out on several mornings.
An SC for local charging is a great convenience, and I like great conveniences. And as the 'free' era ends there's less risk of local abuse.

If EVs truly become ubiquitous then eventually I'd expect Hobart to have half a dozen DC fast chargers.

That's such a low number for a capital city. I suppose that once there's a supercharger then the hotel management gets a prompter for the opportunity. I mean, Port Macquarie is a fraction of the size and has 3 destination chargers (with a 4th installed but not hooked up yet, I'm told). They vary in 'stars' too.

Yep. Also if you choose a hotel based on destination charging - make sure you tell them.
I stayed at the Aston Hill Motor Lodge in Port Macquarie just a few weeks ago. Gave the owner a tour of the car including test drive :)

Port Macquarie, of course, is between A and B whereas Hobart is at the end of the earth.
Having said that, look at PlugShare to see many charge points in and around Hobart.

Reactions: LGGD
Get some cards made to leave in the car...
That's why I saved it as a thumbnail - less chance of upsetting.
It's a good idea tho.
Yes, making cards with your referral code is a good idea, but posting images of said cards with your referral code is in breach of the referral code ban.I have removed the image from your post.
In any case, this thread is about Superchargers in Australia so we are getting a bit off topic.

Yes, making cards with your referral code is a good idea, but posting images of said cards with your referral code is in breach of the referral code ban.I have removed the image from your post.
In any case, this thread is about Superchargers in Australia so we are getting a bit off topic.
You should have removed the whole post - doesn't make much sense any more.

You should have removed the whole post - doesn't make much sense any more.

You made cards with your referral code on them to hand out, makes perfect sense.

Or allow people to display their code. I gotta pop my cherry!

When the referral code scheme first started, TMC quickly became a place for people to compete with their referral code at any opportunity, putting unreasonable pressure on moderators to umpire the ‘scrum’.
That’s not what TMC was created for so the ban won’t be lifted.
If someone wants a referral code they can post a request and users can hand them over using a direct conversation.
As I said before this this is off topic, if you wish to discuss further, create a specific thread or create a direct conversation with me. I won’t be responding to this off topic again in this thread.

Reactions: MDK
Apparently the second Melbourne supercharger is only a couple of weeks away from opening!

The person who shared this knowledge is very reliable but will not reveal any more details. He will remain nameless so he doesn’t get lynched :)

I won’t create a thread for it as we don’t know which suburb it will be in. No hints at all!

Reactions: mike_j
Apparently the second Melbourne supercharger is only a couple of weeks away from opening!

The person who shared this knowledge is very reliable but will not reveal any more details. He will remain nameless so he doesn’t get lynched :)

I won’t create a thread for it as we don’t know which suburb it will be in. No hints at all!

Good news @Chuq! I asked a staff member the other day too and they (amazingly) told me wasn’t far away and would be located at the top end of Spring St near the Carlton Gardens. I checked the Tesla map and the location does appear on that spot, so went to investigate! Couldn’t find anything in that location, looks like it could be a potential spot on the College of Surgeons grounds, but is prime land there with a few car parks. No sign of any construction, but the car park isn’t sealed so could be developed there. Only had a quick look so may have missed it. My money was on Chadstone but looks more like CBD now I guess.

FCA44C42-2F1B-42BD-97A8-373E048C67D1.jpeg

It wasn't Chuq making out that he knew. It was a person he didn't wish to name. The claim of knowing came from a named person on another forum. My point was that the 2nd site is not new news because it is on the Tesla website. The fact that someone says he knows but refuses to disclose the site is "cheap talk" as anyone could claim they know and say the same.

It wasn't Chuq making out that he knew. It was a person he didn't wish to name. The claim of knowing came from a named person on another forum. My point was that the 2nd site is not new news because it is on the Tesla website. The fact that someone says he knows but refuses to disclose the site is "cheap talk" as anyone could claim they know and say the same.
I trust @Chuq 's assessment of a 3rd party more than most, thus increasing the price of the "talk".