Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 7 supercharger sites all labelled "target opening 2019". No doubt some of these will slip but there is nothing after that, seems we are in a bit of a lull regarding announcements of new sites.

Yeah, around the middle of this year the North American/European "coming soon" sites were updated with many new locations. No changes for Australia at the time though. I'm hoping the update for 2020 plans will occur before the end of the year...

Reactions: baillies
Plugged into Canberra supercharger tonight and the charge rate went straight to 129kW (23% SOC). Previous best has only ever been 118kW. Then noticed on the map in the car that this supercharger is now rated to 130kW. Also checked Cooma, also 130kW, assume others are as well. Tesla web page map and Plugshare still showing 120kW.

Interesting! Similar method to when the superchargers in the USA were updated to 150 kW. Are you able to see any more further away from you?

Thanks I've just set those 5 sites to 130 kW in supercharge.info. I wouldn't assume 100% of them are - it's possible some older sites might not be (though there aren't many older than Goulburn) or some newer sites may be faster still, or perhaps the sled sites haven't been updated. Anyway, I'll update any others people want to send through!

Can someone explain why charging rates are variable? Sometimes I will charge at my local supercharger and get 95Kw and others only 55, even when I’m the only vehicle charging.

1 - chargers are shared in A/B pairs, the charger is ~150kW so if someone is getting 95kW on A and you plug in to B you will get 55kW max. Try to plug into an pair that is not in use whenever possible. Would be great if Tesla had a visual indicator or in car indicator of what charger should give the highest output when at least 1 of each pair is already in use.

2 - it seems recently that some chargers are not outputting full power, it is not known why. Sometimes they are faulty. You can try another charger. Sometimes they drop quickly and changing charger can get you a higher rate. Sometimes it may be an issue with the local supply and all chargers have reduced output.

Can someone explain why charging rates are variable? Sometimes I will charge at my local supercharger and get 95Kw and others only 55, even when I’m the only vehicle charging.

Depends on your state of charge. The higher the SoC the slower the charge rate.
Battery temperature also comes into it.
In general, for good battery life, it’s best to charge as slow as possible.

I posted this pic in a Facebook thread yesterday and it got a few good reactions so thought I would share it here as a discussion point!

78531582_10158053760981042_161621195601477632_o.jpg

Next priorities for Tesla supercharger coverage:

Green 1st, Yellow 2nd, Red 3rd.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. The yellow bit in NSW/Qld should realistically be read as the entire area south / east of that area.

Hopefully we get an update for 2020 soon, with a significant part of the green area marked.

if it is at the same state of charge then it is probably from grid demand. With the QLD fast chargers sometimes it drops from 42kw to 20kw for a few minutes too before it goes back up again. (I would think that that is unlikely to happen though if you are in a town with more than 2000 people)

I posted this pic in a Facebook thread yesterday and it got a few good reactions so thought I would share it here as a discussion point!

78531582_10158053760981042_161621195601477632_o.jpg

Next priorities for Tesla supercharger coverage:

Green 1st, Yellow 2nd, Red 3rd.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. The yellow bit in NSW/Qld should realistically be read as the entire area south / east of that area.

Hopefully we get an update for 2020 soon, with a significant part of the green area marked.

Green seems right to me...

For Yellow I hope you are following major highways, for example NSW to SA via Broken Hill makes sense.. QLD to NT via Mt Isa makes sense.

Reactions: Chuq
Red bits will be tricky. Across the Nullarbor (Ceduna to Norseman - 1200km) for example, where diesel generators rule I am assuming they will have to put in something like Tesla Megapack(s) and a solar / wind farm at each of the current refuelling sites in order to have DC fast charging. When electric semis start appearing the demand for power will skyrocket, a Tesla semi will have to recharge at least once along this stretch.

Red bits will be tricky. Across the Nullarbor (Ceduna to Norseman - 1200km) for example, where diesel generators rule I am assuming they will have to put in something like Tesla Megapack(s) and a solar / wind farm at each of the current refuelling sites in order to have DC fast charging. When electric semis start appearing the demand for power will skyrocket, a Tesla semi will have to recharge at least once along this stretch.

I think Megacharging the Semi in remote locations needs a solar farm set up with a big battery every 300-400 Ks or so.
At the same time they can add in Supercharging, a lounge, and perhaps a cafe where it makes sense ...

In some places they can do that and be connected to the grid, that is even better, as they can sell electricity to the grid..
Where there is no grid, building one for the purposes of fast charging would be too expensive.