Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fortitude valley was often full before Toombul even had a supercharger.
It may get a little better this year, but for any significant improvement in Brisbane it is next year.

The planned Indooroopilly supercharger has slipped into Q3 2021. The planned Coorparoo supercharger, and a new one in the CBD, are now into 2023.

UK has opened up 15 of their 100+ supercharger sites to 3rd party charging, so I suspect we won't be far away (as Aus normally follows the UK fairly quickly), as well as a few other Euro countries.

Like elsewhere it's at about a 25% price premium unless you sign up for a monthly subscription.
All the initial sites are regional or outer suburban.

Personally think Tesla could open up every site in Aus other than Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane sites and maybe Goulburn without too many issues.
Casual pricing (likely $0.64/kWh, or a $20 subscription for $0.51, so higher than Evie and Chargefox) will probably deter many other vehicles anyway.

Casual pricing (likely $0.64/kWh, or a $20 subscription for $0.51, so higher than Evie and Chargefox) will probably deter many other vehicles anyway.

It will be very interesting to see what happens. Some of the NRMA chargers get absolutely hammered simply because they are free and apparently some people just can’t resist ‘free’. Conversely, some of the Evie sites seem to not get much love, because they are the most expensive.

What is attractive of course for Tesla Superchargers is the number of stalls. Sometimes the best charger is the one that is unoccupied 😄

Agreed. Free NRMA charging won't last for much longer (indeed I'm surprised it's lasted this long) and I suspect they'll end up in the 30-40c/kWh that seems to be fairly standard for 50-75kW DC (Yurika being at the lower end),

Unless you have their special EV plans.

And particularly if you have to take a detour to get to a charger - would you go to a single stall or multiple stall site.

Yeah, and also location. Somewhere like Mittagong gets hammered.Not everyone is going to Canberra. Heaps of Sydney people just do day trips to the Southern Highlands. Goulburn is too far for them, Sutton Forest should be better
The single-stall 50kW charger at Mittagong RSL was farcical on Sunday morning. I was in Braemar and thought I'd swing past, just to see how bad it was. And it was bad. 2x Model 3's and a BMW i3 bad.

I think we will need to get used to more expensive charging eventually. The charge prices in Europe are up to 100% more than they are here.
Tesla supposedly prices superchargers to not make a profit.
So theoretically they should reflect underlying electricity supply charges (plus demand charges, infrastructure costs, servicing etc).

Australia and indeed most European countries have a flat rate. In the US most states are different (some charge by time due to local laws) but there can also be different charges within a state, I believe set by electrical grid boundaries, and thus costs. Some (particularly California) also have peak and off-peak pricing though think this is more focused on altering usage rather than pricing

In the past two years, Aus prices have fluctuated.
41 - 54 - 46 - 51c/kWh.
But with indications electricity prices are on the way up, I wouldn't be surprised to see more increases.

That said as utilisation increases, Tesla should be able to better amortise equipment, servicing and install costs.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see different costs per charger reflecting the underlying electricity price, and possibly even ToU style pricing.

Australia and indeed most European countries have a flat rate. In the US most states are different (some charge by time due to local laws) but there can also be different charges within a state, I believe set by electrical grid boundaries, and thus costs. Some (particularly California) also have peak and off-peak pricing though think this is more focused on altering usage rather than pricing

In the past two years, Aus prices have fluctuated.
41 - 54 - 46 - 51c/kWh.
But with indications electricity prices are on the way up, I wouldn't be surprised to see more increases.

That said as utilisation increases, Tesla should be able to better amortise equipment, servicing and install costs.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see different costs per charger reflecting the underlying electricity price, and possibly even ToU style pricing.
We have time of use pricing in a few places already.
E68BB826-4683-44F5-AE30-BFAF39B4FB2E.jpeg

Should be more common. It encourages the better use of expensive infrastructure for those folks who can manage to use it at other times and want to get a discount for doing so.

Reactions: David Sowden
I've been on a road trip in NSW and SEQ for the last 2 weeks.
I just noticed the Toowoomba (24-May) and Tamworth (26-May) superchargers I was charged $0.58kWh.
All other superchargers prior to those two were $0.51kWh.
Did I miss a price change, or have these two locations always been higher?
How do I check online what the superchargers rate is?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: moa999
Looking in my car now all are now $0.57-0.60/kWh.
Got all 48 sites. Can't see any rhyme or reason for the variation either geographically or V2/V3

0.57 (12) - Heatherbrae, Bathurst, Sydney (Kirrawee), Berry, Canberra, Yea, Melbourne (Mornington), Melbourne (Moonee Ponds), Geelong, Bendigo, Colac, Tailem Bend
0.58 (20) - Maroochydore, Toowoomba, Gold Coast, Maclean, Tamworth, Dubbo, Central Coast, Sydney (Broadway), Narooma, Wodonga, Ovens, Euroa, Melbourne (Richmond), Melbourne (Campberwell), Ballarat, Devonport, Adelaide, Claire Valley, Eaton, Perth North
0.59 (7) - Brisbane (FV), Coffs Harbour, Sydney (Macquarie), Cooma, Moe, Horsham, Warrnambool
0.60 (9) - Gympie, Knockrow, Port Macquarie, Hollydene, Goulburn, Gundagai, Keith, Margaret River, Williams

Quick wrap up of supercharger activity... if you live near any of these or are passing through and have some time, please check for progress!

Reminder - updates about specific sites should go in specific threads, as linked.

There are a LOT in "permit" status (see supercharge.info for specific address details).
Early construction activity underway: Indooroopilly, Qld (9)

Site proposed, but refused by council: Gawler, SA (6)

There are also some sites where there are hints or clues that something is happening, but nothing is confirmed. Because of the uncertainly, these aren't on supercharge.info, but the speculated locations are here if anyone wants to check them out:
  • Tuggeranong, ACT - South Point Shopping Centre (works underway, but not sure if superchargers)
  • Mt Gravatt, Qld - 1922 Logan Rd (future Tesla service centre - publicly accessible superchargers are speculated, but uncertain)
  • Bairnsdale, Vic - Car park behind McDonalds (has been name dropped but nothing confirmed)
(Also a reminder, "Tesla has this location marked on their map on their website" does not tell us anything useful whatsoever!)