Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging option pricing/60 kWh pack fee discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
indeed, here is how the site looked prior to today:

View attachment 10222

View attachment 10223

So, I guess there's no actual mention of SOFTWARE, but the SC HARDWARE was definitely marked as "included" and "standard" FWIW.

That's the part that gets me...for months it's listed as "TBD", then recently they changed it to "included"...good news, right? Then back to not included and $2K. For me, and I'm sure others, it makes planning to buy this thing difficult, especially with the recently announced service plans and potential future unknowns. I really believe in Tesla and want to support them, it's just getting more and more difficult lately.

But to be clear (and I posted this in August - probably about the 12th) Tesla verbally clarified that there would be an ACTIVATION fee for the hardware/software for the 60kWh battery.
[/I]

When was that? Elon clearly said at the supercharger announcement that there would be a charge for the hardware:

So for Model S cars that have the supercharger hardware installed, which will be the case for the 85kWh pack and for a small incremental charge for the 60kWh pack, you'll be able to travel for free, forever, on pure sunlight.

That statement also says that cars that have the hardware can use the supercharger network. Nothing about software or configuring software or any BS like that.

Got this email from George B today...

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the note. It is greatly appreciated.

Let me explain a little further. There is nothing hidden going on here, and the explanation is very straightforward. We had hoped to announce the Supercharger network in July. It was impossible to do so. We had to delay the launch until September. If we had launched in July, the prices for Supercharging would have been:

85 kWh No charge
60 kWh $2000
40 kWh Not available

We needed to start configuring cars for customers with General Production reservations in July (this was not an issue prior to that because all Signature cars have 85 kwh batteries). So we looked ahead and made the decision to put the hardware and software needed to enable Supercharging into all cars to make sure if anyone who opted for a 60 kWh battery wanted to enable Supercharging they would be able to. We put on the web in the options & pricing page and the Design Studio that the hardware and software necessary to Supercharge was included on 60 and 85 kWh cars. We did that specifically so anyone who selected a 60 kWh battery back in July, August, or up until now in September would have the exact same option as someone who had not yet configured their car. They would have the option today to choose Supercharging, decline Supercharging, or even get a different battery...the only difference, we would keep their original delivery timing, no matter what choice they made.

Then we decided to do something extra for these customers who had already configured, and we decided last night at about 11:30pm eastern time, that we would go ahead and pay for half of the cost. So, we are not only making it possible to make the same decision now as they would have been able to make back in July, we are making it even better...you can enable Supercharging for half price and still keep your original delivery date.

This is not a negative. We have taken those who would have had to pay $2,000 up until now and made it possible for them to enable Supercharging if they want to for half the price. They don't have to enable Supercharging if they don't want to. But if they do want to, they can do it for half price.

I hope you see this as a reasonable response. The announcement today is actually giving a large number of customers who have already configured their car the option to enable Supercharging on their car for half the price it would have otherwise cost...if they want to. And it's fine if they don't want to. If they want to they are better off. If they don't want to they are in the exact same position as they would have been otherwise.

Again, thanks for your note. I appreciate every customer who gives me the chance to explain what is really going on before overreacting.

Have a great weekend! George

On Sep 28, 2012, at 9:42 PM, "Mark Peterman" wrote:

George-

I am a big fan of Tesla and have been talking to everyone I meet about the model S. I took the maintenance costs in stride even though it seemed excessive in light of the repeated claims of low cost of maintenance for EV. Now with the switch from “included” to $2000 for supercharging, I am beginning to doubt Tesla can be trusted. I am realistic and want to believe that there is a reasonable explanation, but I am concerned by reading on the forums how Tesla reps were implying the Elon misspoke at the Supercharger launch about an additional cost. It seems hard for me to believe that this is good business practice. I would really appreciate a reply or blog post next week explaining this change in a way that will repair my opinion of Telsa.

Best wishes,

Mark
P9318

I appreciate every customer who gives me the chance to explain what is really going on before overreacting.

You know, I like George, but this is just silly. Tesla always has the first say... Properly explain what's going on from the get go to head off any confusion and/or speculation. One would think they'd learn this.

Unless I missed something, I am disappointed they make you choose right away. In fact a 2k add on later on (since its purely software) would be a good move. Or, they could make it 2k at the time of purchase and 2.5k if you want to wait and get it later. Either way, a bit disappointing they can't just beam the updated software (more likely its a lock on the functionality and the software is already in the car.) to your car.

Unless I missed something, I am disappointed they make you choose right away. In fact a 2k add on later on (since its purely software) would be a good move. Or, they could make it 2k at the time of purchase and 2.5k if you want to wait and get it later. Either way, a bit disappointing they can't just beam the updated software (more likely its a lock on the functionality and the software is already in the car.) to your car.

I think for the early cars this should be possible, but it seems like the later 60 kwh cars will NOT have the hardware preinstalled.

Super charging for the 60 KW is for THE LIFE OF THE CAR! It is worth it just for the resale of the vehicle. Likely you will not be the only owner of this car. If you don't have it and you can't add it later your resale value will really suffer. IMO it does not matter if you will never use the SC option!

it's for the life of the battery.

Yeah.. and this statement from today's email really gets me:

We planned the hardware into your car to give you a choice when pricing became available.

So they either planned to do this and didn't tell us, or they're making this up because they got caught with their pants down. Why the hell would they ship a car with the hardware installed (worth $1000) that can never ever be used (if you don't pay an extra $1000 now)? The answer, of course, is because the contract says the supercharging hardware is included, and now they wish they hadn't agreed to that.

Tesla has finally gone off the rails!

Tesla has grossly over reached from a marketing standpoint. They had it sold with all the positive reviews and unparalleled customer service from a car company. They had 12000 solid reservations, including those planning to stretch to buy the most expensive car in their lives. I was one of them. Completely happy with the 40kw battery as my configuration.

Then, they "included" supercharger access for the 60kw packs. It was a stroke of genius! For all those like me that had gotten comfortable with the financial reality of the 40 kw battery were now stretching even more for the 60 kw. Even though I decided to drop the Tech Package, I was still spending an additional $6250! I never would have believed I would pay that much for a car. They had me.

Then came the Maintenance plan announcement. Tesla lost much respect and trust in my eyes, but I was still in, trying to decide whether to pay for the plan or not. Now this...$2000 for supercharger access. My view of the company has now been completely changed in a very negative way.

I will still buy the car but am dropping back to the 40kw battery and resetting my expectations. I expect to enjoy the car but will never trust Tesla again. Tesla just lost a total of $13,750 of potential revenue from me. I will no longer gush to my friends what a great experience this has been.

Either there is much incompetence in the management chain responsible for these decisions or there is a lot more to this story than we are being told. Either way, it does not bode well for the company at this point. Tesla will have to do something really amazing to turn this mess around.

Good luck.