Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was driving on the PA turnpike this morning in heavy heavy traffic. When the traffic was at a very slow crawl, my car did something I hadn't seen it do before - it started weaving within the lane heavily to the point where it would get very close to the car in the next lane at times. It could see the lane markings fine and the blue lane indicators were both solid, however, appeared to be doing a slow motion ping pong hunting for the lane markings (interestingly enough, the car hasn't really ping ponged much at highway speeds in the year that I've had it).

AP2 S75 2018.12 (don't have the nav update yet).

Was driving on the PA turnpike this morning in heavy heavy traffic. When the traffic was at a very slow crawl, my car did something I hadn't seen it do before - it started weaving within the lane heavily to the point where it would get very close to the car in the next lane at times. It could see the lane markings fine and the blue lane indicators were both solid, however, appeared to be doing a slow motion ping pong hunting for the lane markings (interestingly enough, the car hasn't really ping ponged much at highway speeds in the year that I've had it).

AP2 S75 2018.12 (don't have the nav update yet).

Firmware Update 2018.12

• Helpful
Reactions: Langhorne
That was a silly assertion by the SC since disengaging auto steer with the stalk will also disengage TACC which is not always the desired action. I would've challenged them on that. I hate when people make stuff up just to get you to stop questioning an issue.

Perhaps the poor reception is because you're simply holding the phone wrong? Remember that?

Reactions: RAW84
Ah, thanks! Exactly what I was experiencing. While my car was doing that, I couldn't decide if I wanted the car behind me to think whether I was simply bad at driving, or if I was one of the "racer" types that weaves in the lane when the car infront of them doesn't go fast enough for them :D

Yes, exactly. I let it go for a minute thinking it'd stop but it ended up turning the wheel to the max in one direction and kept going (motor trying to turn a locked wheel). That was the dumbest I've ever seen AP...

I'm hopeful they fix it. Stop and Go should be Tesla AP bread and butter...

That was a silly assertion by the SC since disengaging auto steer with the stalk will also disengage TACC which is not always the desired action. I would've challenged them on that. I hate when people make stuff up just to get you to stop questioning an issue.

Yeah, I have submitted a request for reevaluation via the website. Not using the escalation option, but just asking the question again in hopes they will give me a real answer.

Yes, exactly. I let it go for a minute thinking it'd stop but it ended up turning the wheel to the max in one direction and kept going (motor trying to turn a locked wheel). That was the dumbest I've ever seen AP...

I'm hopeful they fix it. Stop and Go should be Tesla AP bread and butter...

I'm also having this issue. The car ping ponging between the lane when speed is below 7mph. when above 7mph, the car maintain enough distance so it sees the lane farther down the road.

Reactions: NikeWings
Its interesting that I've driven past the Chicago killer barrier spot (no kidding), maybe 100 times but never has it dove for the barrier. AP2 all builds since AP2 was a real thing. Not sure what I do differently other than disengage if it starts acting wonky but sometimes if no one else is in the car I'll loosen the leash and it still doesn't do that. Its done plenty of other things including on a very early build lose perfectly painted lane lines on a curve and try to ram me into a concrete divider (not at the gore point). Its lost a garbage truck that was stopped in front of (ramming speed!). Its veered at bridge (when going up to the bridge, lost lane lines and "hunted" for them by veering towards going off bridge). And on and on. 25k AP miles (27k overall). I'm still around and my car still has no scratches much less more serious damage.

Clearly owners have to be vigilant. Clearly AP2 is a work in progress, but its even more troubling that each car and owner tends to have its own AP issues based on common settings (Tesla blames 101 driver for having 1 following setting which I only rarely use in heavy traffic, I find 2 to be sufficient, normal following distance is 4-5). Maybe at 4-5 AP works better? Or maybe at 4-5 it causes other more manageable issues? Who knows because Tesla doesn't say.

We don't even get release notes. So we just have to do the best to protect ourselves.

FYI -- Despite my issues, I know I'm safer with AP2 than without, I just am raising what I believe are valid concerns that Tesla isn't addressing. They could easily give us more detailed release notes. For 2018.10.4, it said nothing about AP but it was apparently a "major rewrite." That's pathetic and people's lives are endangered by Tesla failing to communicate that kind of information in release notes.

Why must we achieve parity? AP1 & AP2 are inheritely different based on how they operate. Same basic functions sure, but at this point I'm not sure parity is the goal. There's things AP1 still does better, there's stuff AP2 already does better. There are similiar features, but I think it's time to accept we may never get parity.

Reference: My iPhone has never reached parity with my blackberry since I still don't have a tactile and physical keyboard. But yet, blackberry is the one that's scrambling to catch up more than a decade later...