Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SYD - BNE Supercharger Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes that's right - we need the supercharger on the Spirit of Tasmania !

Kinda off topic, but the enquiry has been made! Unfortunately the power system on the spirit is not stable/suitable enough for EV chargers while on the ship. TT-Line has shown interest in putting chargers at both the Melbourne and Devonport terminals, however :)

Technically if you charge at Richmond you can get around most of north/north-west Tasmania and back. :) The SC location I was thinking of was Campbell Town which is about 150km from both Hobart and Devonport!

Kinda off topic, but the enquiry has been made! Unfortunately the power system on the spirit is not stable/suitable enough for EV chargers while on the ship. TT-Line has shown interest in putting chargers at both the Melbourne and Devonport terminals, however :)

Technically if you charge at Richmond you can get around most of north/north-west Tasmania and back. :) The SC location I was thinking of was Campbell Town which is about 150km from both Hobart and Devonport!

Another possibility, after disembarking at Devonport, drive to The Waterfront Motel at Wynyard. Stay there a while & charge up for the 333 km drive to MONA, spend many hours there checking it out & charge up for Hobart sightseeing, the 270 km return drive to Devonport & plenty of stops en route.

Technically if you charge at Richmond you can get around most of north/north-west Tasmania and back.

Is Richmond to Hobart, recharge at e.g. MONA, then back again to Richmond a sane travel plan? Or should you be planning for more charging points along the way?

Never having had an electric car, just wondering what is a sensible travel plan as opposed to a theoretical "you should be able to make it in idealistic conditions".

Already mentioned here but I’d like to once again highlight the excellent options available in lieu of Superchargers in Newcastle & Ballina, the Hunter Wetlands Centre in Sandgate and Ballina Day Surgery which I used in the last few days. Both 3 phase 32A, the Hunter Wetlands Centre provides the type 2 Mennekes lead while Ballina Day Surgery is a destination charger so no adapter or lead is necessary.

The Hunter Wetlands Centre is a great place to stretch the legs & check out the wildlife. They have a very good cafe and it’s in a really pleasant & relaxing setting. Ballina Day Surgery is right in the centre of Ballina so plenty of food & coffee houses there. With dual chargers, both spots are great options for a rapid top up at 104 km/h charge rate. Both were very much required on the trip up to the north coast…a huge thank you to both places.

Last edited:
Already mentioned here but I’d like to once again highlight the excellent options available in lieu of Superchargers in Newcastle & Ballina ... The Hunter Wetlands Centre is a great place to stretch the legs & check out the wildlife. They have a very good cafe and it’s in a really pleasant & relaxing setting
I hope the Hunter Wetlands Centre is still in business ! There is a "number not connected" message on their phone number and no response to emails or Facebook messages. I had been hoping to try them out tomorrow.

Last edited:
I hope the Hunter Wetlands Centre is still in business ! There is a "number not connected" message on their phone number and no response to emails or Facebook messages. I had been hoping to try them out tomorrow.

It's very much still in business! When you're there, maybe mention that they need to check their phones, emails & Facebook. It really is a great spot that everyone should visit on the drive north...even after the Newcastle Supercharger becomes operational.

Sure is! I was up there two weeks ago and the management was very excited about visiting Teslas. Great spot for a leisurely lunch or a stroll through nature.

It is a run by a charitable organisation so their staffing levels may not allow for fantastic responses to things. I drive past it 2-3 times a week as I have a few projects in that area and no signs of it being closed. You should mention to them that the listed phone number is not correct though. It is a lovely little spot to look out over the reserve and have a bite to eat. To be honest I hope a lot of people continue to support spots like these that are enabling long distance travel long after the proprietary networks are built out.

Reactions: Blue heaven
All good guys. Sorry for the false alarm about the Hunter Wetlands Centre. Their comms are fixed now and they politely replied by both phone and email !

Yes it is a lovely community place. Plenty to eat and do while the car is charging. 32 amp 3 phase on a Type 2 EV socket. They normally provide a Tesla cable so you don't need anything, but in my case I was very excited to test out my Type 2 adapter.

A definite stop on future trips !

Latest correspondence from Port Stephens Council:

Tesla Motors contacted Council to express interest in several council owned properties to have one of their stations located in the Port Stephens area.

The Council properties discussed were not suitable for Tesla and at this stage they are looking at other options elsewhere.

And when I asked about non-council properties within the LGA:

Without knowing what Tesla's plans are and what property they are looking at it is impossible to say whether they require a DA or not. At this stage we are unaware of any formal application from Tesla for a charge station in the area.

After looking at it on the map it does seem a bit far north.

Surely a trip to the Hunter would be one of the most common day/weekend trips from Sydney?

Progress is good of course but can't help but feel this will be annoying for anyone with a lower spec MS/MX or Model3 who needs a charge to get back. Seems like a 45-ish minute diversion.

After looking at it on the map it does seem a bit far north.

Surely a trip to the Hunter would be one of the most common day/weekend trips from Sydney?

Progress is good of course but can't help but feel this will be annoying for anyone with a lower spec MS/MX or Model3 who needs a charge to get back. Seems like a 45-ish minute diversion.

Quite a few destination chargers in the Hunter though that are good for a top-up to ensure getting back to Sydney. Even my 60 didn't need much extra to do St Leonards to Hunter and back (to Pyrmont) on a good day. A 45 minute tasting at one of the wineries with the chargers is a better option than a detour to a SC, especially to one of those with 3-ph chargers :).

Reactions: rowdy