Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was amazed how easy it was to 'brick' or change fundamental functions like engine timings on a E/F series BMW all via the OBD port and freely avaliable software back when I modding my old 335i. There was pretty much zero security checks and though I never explored it, am pretty sure cloning a new key wasn't hard to do.

Now in 2024, judging by how easy it is to nick our Lexus without even accessing the OBD port and Lexus's only solution is to put a metal plate over the wheel arch where theifs access the CANbus suggests to me Lexus at least has no real ideas on how to protect/patch a cars firmware to have more security.

I have no idea how secure or not the Tesla software code is to access though.
Even if they did ( and I heard there were software updates for some) next week there will be a new exploit.
Now cars are basically computers they NEED OTA updates. Imagine if you had to take you PC/MAC/Iphone/Android to a shop once a month to get the software updated!

I am guessing we would all not be happy storing sensitive info on an internet connected laptop that had not had updates for 5 years but we will happily leave a computer on the drive worth 5 figures then are surprised when its not there anymore.

FWIW I would observe that plenty of folks seem happy to connect a Wifi/Bluetooth transmitter with largely unvalidated security to their Tesla Canbus in order to get SEXY buttons, dials, speedos etc, to extend the base functionality. I'm surprised that UNECE hasn't started enforcing requirements for a more secure network, surely we wouldn't want a self driving car where a third party OBD connector can turn off the lights, disconnect autopilot etc.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
The TV things always bugs me with my wife. "No you cannot have the larger TV, it'll take over the room" and then a week later... "It's a bit small, we should have got the larger one". Argh.
Don't forget the 'Here's how to use the TV remote darling'. Response: Not now, another time (this is the stock response every time I ask). One week later, moaning because I was out and she couldn't find how to get Netflix to load.

• Funny
Reactions: FastLaneJB
FWIW I would observe that plenty of folks seem happy to connect a Wifi/Bluetooth transmitter with largely unvalidated security to their Tesla Canbus in order to get SEXY buttons, dials, speedos etc, to extend the base functionality. I'm surprised that UNECE hasn't started enforcing requirements for a more secure network, surely we wouldn't want a self driving car where a third party OBD connector can turn off the lights, disconnect autopilot etc.
Say you move to Ethernet, put in encryption on all the traffic and signing. You could probably make it pretty hard to tamper with the car but they do have to allow third party garages to be able to repair them. However they maybe only need to be able to read logs so the action / keys that allow a car to be stolen should be kept a secret. That would of course stop things like SEXY buttons being possible.

It’s all just an old system, no security on the bus so if you can tap in you’ve got the keys to the kingdom. Based on the way crimes being going, don’t think there’s much choice but to hugely lock this down.

A little off topic, but on the subject of vehicle theft, I recently noticed a man stand at the bottom of our drive, fiddle with 1 of his 2 mobile phones, then walk to the other side of the road in broad daylight and take a photo, then walk off. All caught on CCTV, hence how I know.

Odd behaviour. Perhaps explicable if he was, say, a local student/tourist, but I’m probably being an optimist there and beginning to wonder if he was doing research for a future theft attempt.

Anyone notice anything similar at their abode?

• Informative
Reactions: Bouba
A little off topic, but on the subject of vehicle theft, I recently noticed a man stand at the bottom of our drive, fiddle with 1 of his 2 mobile phones, then walk to the other side of the road in broad daylight and take a photo, then walk off. All caught on CCTV, hence how I know.

Odd behaviour. Perhaps explicable if he was, say, a local student/tourist, but I’m probably being an optimist there and beginning to wonder if he was doing research for a future theft attempt.

Anyone notice anything similar at their abode?
Water meters have had bluetooth transmitters for quite some time now. I bumped into someone reading ours in a similar way a few years back.

We don’t have a water meter.
Maybe someone checking on the electricity smart meter I guess? Odd that he would be in his casual gear and not any sort of high viz/uniform.
Electricity smart meters connect via WAN or Mobile network. People do come to read mine sometimes but the point is to physically check the meter. Not really much point sending someone to read it remotely from the bottom of the drive when it can be read remotely from anywhere.

Maybe he was trying to read the water meter. If you don't have one he would not have succeeded but that does not mean he was not trying. There are plenty of stories of people trying to read gas meters at houses that don't have gas. No reason to think the water people would be any less error prone

We don’t have a water meter.
Maybe someone checking on the electricity smart meter I guess? Odd that he would be in his casual gear and not any sort of high viz/uniform.
Check for "burglar" signs in the area, usually chalk symbols on pavements and walls.

Unlikely they were looking for a water meter as it's very very rare for a domestic property in Scotland to have one. Water is not metered, instead you pay a fixed price based on the council tax band. You can opt in to have a water meter fitted, but you need to pay for the site survey, installation, plumbing etc. on a gamble that you may end up paying less per year than the 'all inclusive' charge.

Don't forget the 'Here's how to use the TV remote darling'. Response: Not now, another time (this is the stock response every time I ask). One week later, moaning because I was out and she couldn't find how to get Netflix to load.
I'm pretty sure my wife only keeps me around to "Fix the Internet" ;) Which is normally just the link she's clicking on doesn't load.

• Funny
Reactions: rincewind