TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla finally announced what happens to referral supercharging after 9/16/18

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MelaniainLA, Sep 11, 2018.

1. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

It has long been a mystery what happens to the free lifetime supercharging that comes with the use of an existing owner's referral link/code to order a Model S, X or Performance Model 3.

Tonight, Tesla quietly updated their referral info page to explicitly state that "Owners can give five friends free, unlimited Supercharging with the purchase of a new Model S, Model X or Model 3 Performance. After September 16, 2018, full unlimited Supercharging will go away and owners will be able to give friends a $100 Supercharging credit."

Therefore, if you want to lock in the free UNLIMITED lifetime Supercharging, order your S, X or Performance 3 before end of day on 9/16/18, as $100 really isn't much at ALL in comparison to what you get now. (and if you need a link, let me know via private message please).

Good luck!

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Maaz

Maaz Member

Awesome news

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Free supercharging has been "going away" for nearly two years now. I'll believe it when I see it.

It will be gone right up until Tesla becomes willing again to trade some future earnings to drive immediate sales. So, probably next quarter.

• Like x 8
    • Funny x 5
  4. SuitNtie

SuitNtie Member

I wonder what will happen to existing referral points?

5. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

You left out that it will be made retroactive to include cars purchased between now and when it is reinstated...

• Like x 3
  6. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

It will be gone right up until Tesla becomes willing again to trade some future earnings to drive immediate sales. So, probably next quarter.

The fallacy is that Supercharging is such a big cost. Except for people that live on Superchargers, the lifetime value may only be a few hundred dollars

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Yes, but a fallacy that drives sales is still worth manipulating.

People do all sorts of stupid stuff to get something "free".

• Like x 2
  8. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in Lake Charles LA)
    Knowing this is why we ordered our X last month. Now if it will just get here.

• Like x 2
  9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

This contradicts the email I just received within the past few days... o_O

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 1.53.34 PM.png

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Rocket Scientist

I got the same e-mail. I guess we'll have to wait and see what our Tesla account pages say after the 16th.

• Like x 2
  11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

"Knowing" it was why I ordered my Model X on January 31st. I was assured by everyone, including my Tesla DS that it was going away Feb 1st of this year.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  12. Shateam

Shateam Member

I admire the fact that you redacted your referral code on this screenshot. ;)

• Like x 3
    • Love x 3
  13. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

#13 whitex, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    They could boost their revenue more if they simply brought back selling Lifetime Supercharging. It used to be $2K. With larger network, I wonder how many people would pay $3K or $4K for it. Then as a sales lever, 50% off supercharging with referral, or $100 credit.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  14. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in Lake Charles LA)
    Oh the waiting is killing me. Can't wait for next week. What will it be.... The up front fee is a great idea.

15. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

FWIW, I'm in Ohio, so all referral codes get us are bragging rights. I'd just assume someone who can benefit from the referrals have their code used instead of mine.

• Love x 1
  16. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

Free supercharging for life went away December 31, 2016...then came back multiple times. I sold my 2012 model S and got a December 2016 model partially because it seemed it would be the newest Tesla that had no cost supercharging.

17. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

You could have gotten a brand new one, unless you need it to transfer to whoever buys it from you after you're done with it. Even our latest 2018 Tesla still has free supercharging, just not transferable like the older ones.

18. croman

croman Active Member

I believe they were also fooled into buying new in late 2016.

19. BigNick

BigNick Disaffected Member

I wouldn’t pay an extra $2K for “free” unlimited lifetime Supercharging (my CPO purchase already came with it.)

I am Supercharging right now, probably only my fourth or fifth time in 10 months of ownership.

My nearest Supercharger is more than 40 miles from home and I have a Tesla HPWC in my garage.

I’m sure others would be willing to pay even more than $2K if they had the chance, however.

Every Tesla owner has a different usage/charging pattern. And the Mothership knows all. :)

20. Sandollars

Sandollars I bleed Cardinal

If Tesla was marketing-smart, they would sell lifetime Supercharging to the PERSON and not attach it to the car. Talk about creating Brand loyalty....

• Like x 3