Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finally announced what happens to referral supercharging after 9/16/18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has long been a mystery what happens to the free lifetime supercharging that comes with the use of an existing owner's referral link/code to order a Model S, X or Performance Model 3.

Tonight, Tesla quietly updated their referral info page to explicitly state that "Owners can give five friends free, unlimited Supercharging with the purchase of a new Model S, Model X or Model 3 Performance. After September 16, 2018, full unlimited Supercharging will go away and owners will be able to give friends a $100 Supercharging credit."

Therefore, if you want to lock in the free UNLIMITED lifetime Supercharging, order your S, X or Performance 3 before end of day on 9/16/18, as $100 really isn't much at ALL in comparison to what you get now. (and if you need a link, let me know via private message please).

Good luck!

Free supercharging has been "going away" for nearly two years now. I'll believe it when I see it.

It will be gone right up until Tesla becomes willing again to trade some future earnings to drive immediate sales. So, probably next quarter.
You left out that it will be made retroactive to include cars purchased between now and when it is reinstated...

This contradicts the email I just received within the past few days... o_O

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 1.53.34 PM.png

It will be gone right up until Tesla becomes willing again to trade some future earnings to drive immediate sales. So, probably next quarter.

The fallacy is that Supercharging is such a big cost. Except for people that live on Superchargers, the lifetime value may only be a few hundred dollars
They could boost their revenue more if they simply brought back selling Lifetime Supercharging. It used to be $2K. With larger network, I wonder how many people would pay $3K or $4K for it. Then as a sales lever, 50% off supercharging with referral, or $100 credit.

Last edited:
They could boost their revenue more if they simply came back selling Lifetime Supercharging. It used to be $2K. With larger network, I wonder how many people would pay $3K or $4K for it. Then as a sales lever, 50% off supercharging with referral, or $100 credit.
Oh the waiting is killing me. Can't wait for next week. What will it be.... The up front fee is a great idea.

Free supercharging for life went away December 31, 2016...then came back multiple times. I sold my 2012 model S and got a December 2016 model partially because it seemed it would be the newest Tesla that had no cost supercharging.

Free supercharging for life went away December 31, 2016...then came back multiple times. I sold my 2012 model S and got a December 2016 model partially because it seemed it would be the newest Tesla that had no cost supercharging.
You could have gotten a brand new one, unless you need it to transfer to whoever buys it from you after you're done with it. Even our latest 2018 Tesla still has free supercharging, just not transferable like the older ones.

I wouldn’t pay an extra $2K for “free” unlimited lifetime Supercharging (my CPO purchase already came with it.)

I am Supercharging right now, probably only my fourth or fifth time in 10 months of ownership.

My nearest Supercharger is more than 40 miles from home and I have a Tesla HPWC in my garage.

I’m sure others would be willing to pay even more than $2K if they had the chance, however.

Every Tesla owner has a different usage/charging pattern. And the Mothership knows all. :)