Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Down: Won't Power Up, and is Inaccessible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, ICE brick...

ice-brick-500x500.jpg

Not cool. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: UZJedi
Where is the power to activate the relay coming from? What is the system running on that's noting the loss of 12V power?

At the moment, I believe all the computers in the car are running off of that 12V power, so when it dies, the computers all stop running...

Have the port lock spring loaded with a simple spring or two and a small low power electric motor holding it locked using 12V, if the cars internal power fails it unlocks. Otherwise it stays locked until the car tells it to stop powering the small motor.

Reactions: MarkS22
It occurred to me it could be a major headache if this happened at a public charger
A J1772-type public charger doesn't lock, so you could remove the charging handle from the car without issue. The Tesla to J1772 adapter, of course, would still be locked to your car, but at least you wouldn't be preventing the EVSE from being used by others (assuming a long enough cord...).

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and MarkS22
A J1772-type public charger doesn't lock, so you could remove the charging handle from the car without issue. The Tesla to J1772 adapter, of course, would still be locked to your car, but at least you wouldn't be preventing the EVSE from being used by others (assuming a long enough cord...).

What about a Supercharger or Destination Charger? Can either of them initiate an unlock with an unresponsive car?

The interesting part to me is that the car didn't notice anything was wrong. If the 12V battery wasn't charging, that should have been detectable. I know infant mortality with lead acid batteries has been mentioned, but that seems far fetched... certainly possible, but I'd bet on a fault (including a software issue) in the 12V charging subsystem.

Anyone have an idea of how much current is drawn on the 12V system, not while driving (to turn on the high voltage contactors)? It'd be interesting to see how small of a 12V battery you need for connect to the external 12V input.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkS22
What about a Supercharger or Destination Charger? Can either of them initiate an unlock with an unresponsive car?

I doubt it... The plug has an indentation... And a lock pin on the socket (in the car) could lock a pin to hold the plug. So, if the car was unresponsive and stuck with the lock on, you are SOL.
I bet the service rangers know how to release the lock pin manually. Perhaps using some special service tech tools.

pinhole.png

FYI in Europe the equivalent charing connectors do lock - and even in the U.S. some use these, which would also get stuck if the car lost power:

Review: Tesla Model S J1772 Charger Lock

CapturePro-CP1-J1772.jpg

The charge port can be released from the inside, but for that you need access to the trunk, which needs power to open.

You'd think Tesla would find a way to keep a 12 volt battery charged.......

I think they have included a trickle charger in the new Model S/Xes which prevents the deep cycling from happening. Tbh I would have used a deep cycle battery or just gone to a lithium 12v battery but im sure there is some issue which prevents this being the optimal solution.

Thanks!

Most (virtually all?) other vehicles which have systems like Smart Key System (Toyota parlance) or Intelligent Key (Nissan parlance) include a mechanical key in the fob and at least 1 key hole to allow unlocking of the door if the fob dies, or fob battery or 12 volt battery dies.

Also, it is absurd that Teslas lock their connector to their car during L1 and L2 AC charging and AFAIK, keep it locked w/o providing an option to the driver to either not lock or auto-unlock when done. It causes extra complications and need for coordination w/Tesla folks at my work who share the HPWCs we have.

Most other vehicles w/J1772 inlets except for a few current offenders like (some?) Kia Soul EV, some VW e-Golfs and the BMW 3-series PHEV either don't have any charging lock or give the driver a choice as to whether to lock, don't lock or unlock when done or just unlock when finished.

If fob dies there is a position on the S on the windshield to use the dead fob. If the 12v battery dies it needs to be jump started but a small USB 12v lithium pack might be enough in an emergency...
The Model 3 has a passive key anyways so the keycard cannot "die".

This has been confirmed to be present, and look roughly like this, on the Model 3?

On the Model 3, there are several slots in the trunk liner in the area behind the charger port. You can see the charge port cables through the slots. There is a thin braided cable with a "pull" handle on it that probably can be used to disengage the charging cable lock. I say "probably" because I didn't actually try the mechanism to see how it worked.

Vistan

On the Model 3, there are several slots in the trunk liner in the area behind the charger port. You can see the charge port cables through the slots. There is a thin braided cable with a "pull" handle on it that probably can be used to disengage the charging cable lock. I say "probably" because I didn't actually try the mechanism to see how it worked.

Vistan
A mechanical release inside the car makes a lot more sense (I believe that is how the i3 does it too). All the electrical ones suggested by others are too complex for something that would rarely happen.

Vistan
You should definitely pull that and let us know what happens:D

UPDATE 1

Nothing particularly exciting to report, however a flatbed (not owned by Tesla) arrived this morning. Of note, they picked up a Tesla technician to bring with them. I believe it was at least partially to teach the tow company how to use the 12 volt access to open the frunk. (They did this and, yes, it worked.) Based on my discussions with Tesla earlier and what I saw today, it appears this was the first Model 3 they ever flat-bedded. (So, clearly this isn't happening on a wide scale.) There was solid communication from Roadside Assistance (via phone call updates this morning) before they arrived and also to confirm they arrived.

As you can surmise by the flatbed, it will be examined at the Service Center as opposed to being repaired in the field. This leads me to believe they want to, at the very least, make sure it's not more than a simple 12 volt battery.

I also want to take this moment to reiterate that I completely knew being an early adopter could have initial issues like this. This vehicle is a massive architecture change. As long as Tesla takes care of the issues, as they have done quickly, that's all that matters to me. I used to beta test video games in the 1980s. (Anyone remember Sierra Online adventure games?) This feels a bit like that in a good way. I know others might take it as "concern," but it's part of the experience. You have to blow up a couple rockets to launch a Falcon Heavy.

I actually enjoy discovering quirks or documenting problems--in my own tiny way--to make the mass version better. I did the same with the Model S and I've seen improvements made based on my reports. I have seen nothing--absolutely nothing--that gives me long term concerns about the Model 3. Indeed, it has exceeded almost every expectation.

I know some of you prefer to keep negative things quiet. We can agree to disagree there. I believe open communication, good and bad, is necessary for Tesla to thrive in the mass market.

I'll update again when I learn more.

Last edited: