Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic, however this why power purchase agreements should be enabled for solar farms. Stick a solar farm out where there are no trees and allow an agreement where a home owner (or even in an apartment or renters) can act like that solar is on their roof.
Ignoring economies of scale for the moment, this will never be as cheap (assuming an equal cost per kW) as having solar on one's own roof. There is a cost in building out and maintaining the grid infrastructure, and that has to be accounted for if the power is generated remotely, even if you own a part of the generation capacity.

If you don't have the capacity on the roof for more solar, then by all means go for it - but don't think for a moment that it will work out as cheaply for you as if you have your own panels on your own property.

Images didn't load on the first post, sorry.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 1.34.48 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 1.34.48 pm.png
    251.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 1.35.14 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 1.35.14 pm.png
    471.4 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Random206
I'd love to do rooftop solar, but caught in a slightly awkward phase where the roof will need to be replaced soon -- but not yet. Doesn't seem like a good idea to put solar on top of the old roof, only to have to take it off to re-roof in a few years. But also doesn't seem like a great idea to replace the roof early. So, waiting, I guess...

Wants cake and eating cake.

I think what Tesla has done is very fair. Price configured back then was x now it's dropped to y. So they gave the lower of the two total prices. As there was never an opportunity to get both lower prices why should they cut themselves short.
Agreed, I had a quick think about it and decided it was fair and left it at that. If they were to charge me the original paint price but reduce the FSD to the original it would be a net loss so Im not complaining. Like you say, you can't have your cake and eat it too. The way Tesla has done it benefits us as the buyers so Im not complaining.

Yes I had this happen to mine (in NZD for me). It was an overall price drop so I figured this was acceptable? What is your concern here?

I grabbed FSD before the price jump so I wouldn't have to pay extra. For them to bump me up to the higher figure is unfair.
The price drop for the paint and the FSD prices jump aren't mutually exclusive. There are people who didn't have FSD and got the price drop for white.

Last edited:
The units cost be about $23000 installed, so that's 3833 days to break even or just over 10 years.

Sounds about right. Mine was $30k for 2 Powerwall 2's and 6.5kW in additional solar (LG panels plus enphase microinverters) to supplement an existing 5kW solar install. So about $36k all up.

Typical usage is around 15 kWh/day, which would cost about $450/quarter with no solar/batteries. Instead I've got a credit of $135 over the past 30 days (including daily supply charges; and it's still winter!), so call it about $1600 in credits annually versus about $1800 in charges, for a net gain of $3400/year. Pays for itself in just over 10 years, and I've been 100% self-powered since the Powerwalls went in (or technically 99% as reported by the Tesla app, because there seems to be a ~30W constant load that the Powerwalls don't detect or something).

Could have been even faster, as in my case I'd get basically the same result with just a single Powerwall (so still around $3400/year in benefit against a cost probably closer to $25k, for about an 8 year payback). But never having to pull any energy from the grid was a bigger concern than scoring a financial win and also figured that I'd probably add an EV at some point, so went with two.

Will be interesting to see how the Model 3 affects things. If I give it half of the credit balance (on current figures, that would be ~20kWh/day for charging the car) I'd lose $800/year in FIT but gain back probably $1200-1500/year in fuel that I don't need to buy (I don't drive much). That would put it somewhere close to a 9 year payback.

I'd love to do rooftop solar, but caught in a slightly awkward phase where the roof will need to be replaced soon -- but not yet. Doesn't seem like a good idea to put solar on top of the old roof, only to have to take it off to re-roof in a few years. But also doesn't seem like a great idea to replace the roof early. So, waiting, I guess...
I did a review of my rooftop for solar. We get good summer sun. However we only receive Direct winter sun on the rooftop for less than 3 hours making it moot.

The good thing is my energy provider generates power from renewable sources. And I happen to live just a few miles from the largest wind turbine plant near windy Wellington

Reactions: 1st in Line
I grabbed FSD before the price jump so I wouldn't have to pay extra. For them to bump me up to the higher figure is unfair.
The price drop for the paint and the FSD prices jump aren't mutually exclusive. There are people who didn't have FSD and got the price drop for white.
I will be interested to see what happens. I will ask my delivery adviser about it when he calls to arrange payment. If I can save the increase in FSD price as well then I wont complain.

The VIN in your account could very well mean absolutely nothing. I have been told "couple of weeks" last week from someone at Tesla and I dont even have a VIN in my account... I think everyone is thinking way to much into these hidden VINs.

There has been cases of nothing until point of invoice in the Uk and then boom -7 days to pickup, and the opposite is true, nothing at all for months. For some the hidden vins have worked, others changed 3 times. But at least it sets expectations I think of this being a long process for some and the nature of a ramp in logistics - it is chaotic.

@Random206 nice work on the vin tracker. Not sure why I ended up as a duplicate fyi. A couple of other on there as well.

Vins from the 1st batch now range 4427xx - 4440xx.

There will be gaps, but this is > 500, suggesting the first vehicles will be split across multiple ships. Other single source information from here suggested each ship from now on carry 500 3s. I am thinking along these lines now. As the ships roll through now, we will not know what ships will exactly be holding what.

Kota Ekspres arrives tonight NZ, Brotonne Bridge NZ next Monday. Sydney is all Friday arrivals.

It is impossible for 488xxx, 489xxx, 499xxx, 517xxx vins to be on these ships.

My VIN is 488xxx. Can they allocate VINs before they arrived?