Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm bringing up this issue again.
Re: HomeLink being removed and not included on vehicles where it was advertised in the configurator.

I have updates.

So instead of listening to everyone telling me not to bother and just deal with it (which is exactly what Tesla was probably hoping I would do), I have continued to annoy people and pi** them off high enough that they have now agreed to provide the hardware and installation free of charge to anyone who ordered and paid their deposit on a vehicle with Premium Interior installed (at the time was only the Performance model where you could choose to include the performance pack or not).

In regards to the limitations placed on Internet Streaming and Media pack that was displayed and then changed to being '1 year included', I am still working on this part and I have progressed through to the Office of Fair Trading QLD. I have contacted the ACCC in regards to the issue and they believe that Tesla have engaged in false advertising by means of 'Misleading the customer' and 'Remaining silent' when changing the advertisement and not notifying customers that had already ordered that they intended to provide a limited product.

To the haters who told me to ignore it, deal with it, and suck it up. Please don't tell people they can't do things, that is exactly what big businesses who pull shady tricks, want you to do so they can continue to get away with it and make money.
Tesla messed up, they've now admitted they messed up by providing this HomeLink system free of charge to customers it was advertised to, and I intend on making them set this right for everyone who was jibbed by the change.

In order to have the hardware installed in your car (as your car will obviously come without it), when Tesla receive the hardware, you will need to arrange a time with the Service Centre to have it installed. If the Service Centre don't want to install it for you (we all know how bad the communication is with Tesla), email me at [email protected] and I will advise you further as I don't want to display peoples names on here sorry.

I'll update people as I get more information about the streaming, etc. assuming I'm not served with a gag order, lol.

I know this has been discussed over the last few hundred pages but I can't seem to find it in the search. I have received delivery date and now am trying to book in the electrician to do the Wall Charger install, and I want to inform him what he should need for it. He is very old school and has no idea about new technologies.
I have three phase, and we will set the HPWC to do the full 11kW and so I was going to tell him it needs a 40amp three phase breaker and a type A RCD? Is that correct? or am I wrong with the size of the breaker cause it is 3 phase?
Thanks in advance

I know this has been discussed over the last few hundred pages but I can't seem to find it in the search. I have received delivery date and now am trying to book in the electrician to do the Wall Charger install, and I want to inform him what he should need for it. He is very old school and has no idea about new technologies.
I have three phase, and we will set the HPWC to do the full 11kW and so I was going to tell him it needs a 40amp three phase breaker and a type A RCD? Is that correct? or am I wrong with the size of the breaker cause it is 3 phase?
Thanks in advance
You don't need 40A three phase: he might say it is too much for your supply to manage. In this situation, a 40A three phase connection is equivalent to having three 40A single phase chargers feeding into the car the same time, which is overkill. Far exceeds the 11 kW.
As I understand it, 40A Single Phase gives you just under 10 kW. 20A Three Phase can provide 14 kW - more than the Model 3 needs. Any electrician - old-school especially - will understand the current requirement if you tell him the car will pull 11 kW.
Good luck!

Remember to keep updating the VIN Tracking spreadsheet with all your new changes.

If you need a link to edit your original entry if you forgot to save it, or have lost it, please check the spreadsheet here and note down the FULL timestamp (including the seconds), and then email me at [email protected] and I will provide you with your edit link.

AUS / NZ Tesla Model 3 VIN Submission Form (Responses)

If you have never completed the form in the first place, please do so using the link below so we can gather the data and look for trends!

AUS / NZ Tesla Model 3 VIN Submission Form

Reactions: HPSOV
Thanks in advance
Your electrician will know what to do, but for 11kW you could just set the HPWC to 11kW and use a 20A three phase breaker. A 40A three phase breaker (basically three single phase breakers linked together) would serve a full 22kW capable charge. Personally, I will be setting up for 22kW just in case I ever get something capable of that since there is almost no cost difference.

The cheapest option for this sort of thing will be a three phase RCBO which is a 3-4 DIN device with a three phase breakers and a Type A RCD. Your electrician will be able to find one from their local supplier, I personally have been looking at the Hager devices since my board is pretty much filled with Hager stuff from when I rebuilt it a few years ago for my 3 phase solar.

HAGER ADM440T | 4 Pole 40Amp 6kA 30mA RCD/MCB Combo - Hager Electrical

Reactions: BarnabySydney
So instead of listening to everyone telling me not to bother and just deal with it (which is exactly what Tesla was probably hoping I would do), I have continued to annoy people and pi** them off high enough that they have now agreed to provide the hardware and installation free of charge to anyone who ordered and paid their deposit on a vehicle with Premium Interior installed (at the time was only the Performance model where you could choose to include the performance pack or not).

In regards to the limitations placed on Internet Streaming and Media pack that was displayed and then changed to being '1 year included', I am still working on this part and I have progressed through to the Office of Fair Trading QLD. I have contacted the ACCC in regards to the issue and they believe that Tesla have engaged in false advertising by means of 'Misleading the customer' and 'Remaining silent' when changing the advertisement and not notifying customers that had already ordered that they intended to provide a limited product.

Awesome, thanks. You've saved me from having to do all of those things myself. :D

Awesome, thanks. You've saved me from having to do all of those things myself. :D
You're welcome mate.

To be honest, I wish Tesla were just open and transparent and let us all know, but I guess businesses don't make money that way right.....or do they.

I need to add that the Office of Fair Trading have no powers to force Tesla to do the right thing, they just act as a mediator to the situation. Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal do though, however their jurisdiction ends at the borders of QLD, so anyone outside of QLD will need to speak with their own tribunal or governing body, although the outcome of the tribunal in QLD, may affect the outcome of another state body by adding weight to the decision made by that decision maker.

Best of luck to everyone if it gets to that point.

Tesla seem pretty set at digging their heels in on the streaming package, but I think we have a pretty good case to be honest.

Hi everyone,

I'm bringing up this issue again.
Re: HomeLink being removed and not included on vehicles where it was advertised in the configurator.

I have updates.

To the haters who told me to ignore it, deal with it, and suck it up. Please don't tell people they can't do things, that is exactly what big businesses who pull shady tricks, want you to do so they can continue to get away with it and make money.
Tesla messed up, they've now admitted they messed up by providing this HomeLink system free of charge to customers it was advertised to, and I intend on making them set this right for everyone who was jibbed by the change.

In order to have the hardware installed in your car (as your car will obviously come without it), when Tesla receive the hardware, you will need to arrange a time with the Service Centre to have it installed. If the Service Centre don't want to install it for you (we all know how bad the communication is with Tesla), email me at [email protected] and I will advise you further as I don't want to display peoples names on here sorry.

I'll update people as I get more information about the streaming, etc. assuming I'm not served with a gag order, lol.
Great Job, Random206!

Your electrician will know what to do, but for 11kW you could just set the HPWC to 11kW and use a 20A three phase breaker. A 40A three phase breaker (basically three single phase breakers linked together) would serve a full 22kW capable charge. Personally, I will be setting up for 22kW just in case I ever get something capable of that since there is almost no cost difference.

The cheapest option for this sort of thing will be a three phase RCBO which is a 3-4 DIN device with a three phase breakers and a Type A RCD. Your electrician will be able to find one from their local supplier, I personally have been looking at the Hager devices since my board is pretty much filled with Hager stuff from when I rebuilt it a few years ago for my 3 phase solar.

HAGER ADM440T | 4 Pole 40Amp 6kA 30mA RCD/MCB Combo - Hager Electrical
Great thanks for all of the updates.
I do plan to get a model y in a few years and so would that affect what I should set up now in regards to circuit size? I read in the HPWC manual that you can "gang" several together but is that what you would do? Or would you just install the 2nd hpwc on its own circuit?