Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks mate. Legend

Higher cost because this ChargePod was built by a local Engineer, who is trying to demonstrate demand for DC chargers outside Perth. He lost money when it was in Jurien Bay, so only expects to breakeven at 90c/KwH.
But with the population of Teslas in Perth expected to double by year end, this may change, and he may install another grid connect one, and move this one to Norseman or Nullarbor roadhouses.
DOT say only say 159 Teslas were registered in Perth to end July, but there were about 20 registered in the first year incorrectly (when owners had to do this themselves) and our register has over 180 cars. Arthur River.jpg

Higher cost because this ChargePod was built by a local Engineer, who is trying to demonstrate demand for DC chargers outside Perth. He lost money when it was in Jurien Bay, so only expects to breakeven at 90c/KwH.
But with the population of Teslas in Perth expected to double by year end, this may change, and he may install another grid connect one, and move this one to Norseman or Nullarbor roadhouses.
DOT say only say 159 Teslas were registered in Perth to end July, but there were about 20 registered in the first year incorrectly (when owners had to do this themselves) and our register has over 180 cars.View attachment 455061

Where'd you get the info on DOT registrations of Teslas? And do you know of any way I can check if my VIN has been registered by Tesla?

image001.jpg
Where'd you get the info on DOT registrations of Teslas? And do you know of any way I can check if my VIN has been registered by Tesla?

I have been working with DOT and Main Roads for last few years on the State response to the Memorandum of Understanding signed on 1/12/17. Although the consultant has recommended 70 pairs of DC chargers on all Main Roads in WA, we have just not had the traffic up to now. I have tried to correct DOT registration numbers, but they cannot change incorrectly allocated Teslas until the owner advises them. I am going to a State workshop on the MOU Monday afternoon, so hopefully there will be some progress now that the Tesla fleet should be doubling in Perth this year. More details in TeslaWA slack.
You should be able to check vehicles/boats registered to you at DOT on line.

Last edited:

If you know the numberplate just run it on the WA website. If not you can follow the steps below if you are truly curious.

If you run a PPSR report for $2 on your VIN, it will pull NEVDIS data (which is from the pooled database of vehicle rego across Australia) and if registered anywhere in AUS will tell you where, and also give you the numberplate data. Keep in mind Tesla may not have registered it yet, the $2 fee is still charged even if there are no results.

Personal Property Securities Register | Welcome to the PPSR

Server Error (500)

If you know the numberplate just run it on the WA website. If not you can follow the steps below if you are truly curious.

If you run a PPSR report for $2 on your VIN, it will pull NEVDIS data (which is from the pooled database of vehicle rego across Australia) and if registered anywhere in AUS will tell you where, and also give you the numberplate data. Keep in mind Tesla may not have registered it yet, the $2 fee is still charged even if there are no results.

Server Error (500)
my advice from TESLA is that they are only registering a day or so before delivery. If you are in WA log into the DOTWA site and you can see what vehicles are registered in your name.

Is that just WA or across the nation? It must be nationally. Even so the increase is incredible as that's just August and we know that lots more arrived over the last few weeks.
The imports are total Australia. The import figure at 31/12/2018 exceeded the total of the state Registrations on 20/12/2018 by over 100, which could be due to write-offs, re-exports (eg to NZ) and States failing to register Teslas correctly initially.

I'm with CBA and paid using electronic transfer inside a branch. CBA temporarily increased my daily transfer limit to $100K after which I did the transfer using the Netbank app on my phone. No probs entering my reservation number as the reference. After the successful, they reduced the daily limit back to $10K. It was done in less than 15mins.

Note that for some stupid reason CBA can't increase your daily limit to $100K if you have upcoming scheduled automatic bill payments. After a phone call to their support, the CBA consultant was told that the schedule bill payment would tip the daily limit over $100K :confused:. Because it was an e-bill (council rates payment), I couldn't cancel it, so had to pay it even though it wasn't due until the end of Sept. I reckon this restriction was a bug in their payment system. After that my SR+ payment went thru without any probs.
Westpac 1m daily limit

• Informative
Reactions: MonicaPlease
Just wondering...

In anticipation of the imminent delivery of my Model 3 (stop laughing!), I was playing around with my Tesla referral code link.

When I clicked on it, it takes me to a USA Tesla website, since inventory and orders were shown for the USA rather than the Australian market

For people who have taken delivery of their Model 3s or who have already generated referrals - is this normal?

Does it always default to the USA website initially and people then have to switch to the Australian website?

I wonder if that can lead to confusion for people who you send your referral link to?

Server Error (500)
Good one Meowers, I lashed out and spent the $2. VIN was registered, checked DOTWA and sure enough vehicle was registered in my name. I only signed rego papers late last thursday so Tesla only had 1 business day to sort it. Since I received no delay call last week do I dare hope it may arrive in T-2 sleeps?