Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interiors are obviously a matter of taste, and everyone’s taste is different, but I really like the minimalist interior.
Sound deadening is better on 2020 model year 3’s, although not having driven a MY19 I can’t directly compare.
I agree and like the interior of my SR+. I did put a wrap on the centre console as the gloss attracted too many fingerprints but the rest is close to perfection.
I got my car in September and the car was manufactured in July 2019, so I suspect mine would be 2019 model and there is no excessive sound issue on mine. I did hear that it was an issue with some specific cars just like paint issues. I suspect the problems were with a small percentage of cars and most were fine like mine. Just that people with the problem scream about it online and the ones without the problem enjoy theirs in silence.

Thanks for the review. It is indeed clever stuff.
I thought briefly about FSD and decided base Autopilot is the sweet spot. $8500 for lane change and exits does not stack up for me. would never use autopark or summons.

Yep, all very valid points! I drive about 60-65km each way on motorway a few days per week so for me it was a little more justified, at least that's what I am telling myself in my head... haha

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I agree and like the interior of my SR+. I did put a wrap on the centre console as the gloss attracted too many fingerprints but the rest is close to perfection.
I did that too - Abstract Ocean carbon fibre one, and it looks great. The mods I’ve made to my car are:
  • Ceramic Coating. Natch. I think especially needed with White. It does start to look dirty fairly quickly (especially with all the bushfire ash in the air), but the coating makes it sooooooo easy to wash. 15 minutes by bucket, if that. Done.
  • Side window tinting - made a big difference to how cool the car feels inside.
  • Mudflaps - these are the only things I consider essential that were not standard - it is clear that the mudflaps have stopped a lot of crap hitting the duco. The ones I got totally look OEM. Interestingly, Tesla now offer OEM mudflaps in Canada as part of its cold weather package.
  • Ultra bright boot light replacements - certainly brighter than the OEM ones, probably not 3x as AO claimed.
  • Door opening buttons - they do really help passengers identify what to push.
  • Jeda USB hub + SSD
  • Centre console wrap
  • Model 3 badge on the rear - some people love the badge-less look, but since my car just said “dual motor” it kinda looked odd with nothing else. Pic in my post here: Model 3 Accessories.
The rest, as you say, is perfection!

I did that too - Abstract Ocean carbon fibre one, and it looks great. The mods I’ve made to my car are:
  • Ceramic Coating. Natch. I think especially needed with White. It does start to look dirty fairly quickly (especially with all the bushfire ash in the air), but the coating makes it sooooooo easy to wash. 15 minutes by bucket, if that. Done.
  • Side window tinting - made a big difference to how cool the car feels inside.
  • Mudflaps - these are the only things I consider essential that were not standard - it is clear that the mudflaps have stopped a lot of crap hitting the duco. The ones I got totally look OEM. Interestingly, Tesla now offer OEM mudflaps in Canada as part of its cold weather package.
  • Ultra bright boot light replacements - certainly brighter than the OEM ones, probably not 3x as AO claimed.
  • Door opening buttons - they do really help passengers identify what to push.
  • Jeda USB hub + SSD
  • Centre console wrap
  • Model 3 badge on the rear - some people love the badge-less look, but since my car just said “dual motor” it kinda looked odd with nothing else. Pic in my post here: Model 3 Accessories.
The rest, as you say, is perfection!
Wow, your list is is similar but slightly different than mine, I got the:

1. Abstract Ocean carbon honeycomb centre console wrap
2. Ultra bright boot light replacements. (Abstract Ocean)
3. Armor Shield IX ceramic coating (Avalon King)
4. Higher strength struts for frunk to auto open. (from Amazon)
5. Samsung 500GB SSD
6. Tesla roof shades
7. Tesla floor mats.(SR+ came without them)
8. Type2 - Type2 32A charging cable
9. Leather frunk mat

I also got the cover kit for the wheel nuts and centres if I take the covers off, but I have not tried it yet and still have the aero covers on.

Interiors are obviously a matter of taste, and everyone’s taste is different, but I really like the minimalist interior. I prefer it to conventional button, knob, slider and switch-laden interiors which now look really dated to me. I reckon the “minimalist” trend will be copied by others.

Regarding “changing some settings on the centre screen” that is a non-issue. One sets up a driver profile while parked, change all the settings to how one likes them, and they are saved against your profile. Job done, and you don’t need to change them while driving. If there really is something you want to change while on the move, use a voice command (if they work :D Tesla will iron out the bugs eventually :p)

Sound deadening is better on 2020 model year 3’s, although not having driven a MY19 I can’t directly compare.

I think the sound issue would have been exacerbated by testing alongside the EQC which by all accounts I have seen is possibly the quietest production car ever. It is also correspondingly heavy and not very efficient which are not a big issue for its target market.

I think the sound issue would have been exacerbated by testing alongside the EQC which by all accounts I have seen is possibly the quietest production car ever. It is also correspondingly heavy and not very efficient which are not a big issue for its target market.
I moved from C class merc to SR+ and do not see any sound issue. Merc was reasonably quiet, the SR+ is even quieter when at city speeds. On highway speeds, the SR+ is lacking the engine noise but that makes the wind and tires more audible, but the noise level is subjectively about the same as the noise level in Merc seemed when doing 110. Also on highway I do hear a little more of the cars around me compared to Merc, but I would not call that excessive noise, just slightly less muffled as the car itself makes less noise. Once majority of the cars are electric and make no noise, that will no longer be a difference :)

The wait time appears to be >7 weeks but the entire delivery process and timeline is deceptive.
The items I ordered were not over-sized and in stock.
I cant understand why it takes longer than 6 weeks to post items they have in stock.
They appear to give low priority to international shipments.
It's a pity as they have some good items.
I saw some posts saying that the service is better if you call them.

Taptes is much better as they will ship items in stock immediately and inform you of any delays when you place the order.

Yeah, had my first instance of it this morning. Actually thought the car was moving into right lane (I was in the middle lane and was watching the road and not the screen) and car moved to the left, I was like what the hell?!

it's not completely clear. Undertaking is considered poor form in Australia mainly due to all the europeans here i think. Technically it is the same as most american states - undertaking is legal but you should keep to the left above 80kmh if not overtaking. So the car is not really doing anything wrong.

First post so apologies if this is a stupid question. I'm looking to purchase a Model 3 base version. I notice the interior is only available in Black unless you pay more for the higher spec models. Have Tesla indicated they will offer the white interior on the base model in the future or is this the same across the world?

First post so apologies if this is a stupid question. I'm looking to purchase a Model 3 base version. I notice the interior is only available in Black unless you pay more for the higher spec models. Have Tesla indicated they will offer the white interior on the base model in the future or is this the same across the world?
Not yet. You can get it in the US, but it's not on offer here, and as far as I know there hasn't been any indication that it will be anytime soon. And I think it's only available on the performance variant (unless they've changed that to add the LR version as well).

I have the black interior though and I'm quite happy with it. White does look very nice though...

Not yet. You can get it in the US, but it's not on offer here, and as far as I know there hasn't been any indication that it will be anytime soon. And I think it's only available on the performance variant (unless they've changed that to add the LR version as well).

I have the black interior though and I'm quite happy with it. White does look very nice though...
Thanks for the reply, its a shame as the white looks so nice!

I'm looking to purchase a Model 3 base version. I notice the interior is only available in Black unless you pay more for the higher spec models. Have Tesla indicated they will offer the white interior on the base model in the future or is this the same across the world?
As @Dave3333 said, do not hold your breath for white interior to be available on anything other than the Performance version here. The UK is the only RHD market where white interior is an option on all Model 3 variants. The reason given is we are a very small Tesla market so the number of variants is reduced for economic reasons. I suppose the profit margin on Performance is sufficient to overcome that. Also it’s a point of differentiation for P versions.

As @Dave3333 said, do not hold your breath for white interior to be available on anything other than the Performance version here. The UK is the only RHD market where white interior is an option on all Model 3 variants. The reason given is we are a very small Tesla market so the number of variants is reduced for economic reasons. I suppose the profit margin on Performance is sufficient to overcome that. Also it’s a point of differentiation for P versions.
Even in the UK and Ireland it is only available on the dual motor range. HK, Aust and NZ it is only on the performance Dual Motor. Japan does not get it on anything. South Africa and India do not even get a car!

Even in the UK and Ireland it is only available on the dual motor range. HK, Aust and NZ it is only on the performance Dual Motor. Japan does not get it on anything. South Africa and India do not even get a car!
Well that’s a recent change in UK/IRL. When I last checked in November, white interior was available on all Model 3 variants. But now no longer an option on SR as you say! With the UK going backwards on options, any prospects AUS/NZ would ever get white interior on the lower variants has gone from almost zero to zero.

Teaching my son to drive.

I've now got my son hooked on Tesla.

He's on L Plates at present and has been learning in "Grandma's old bomb" a 14 y.o. Hyundai until he could demonstrate due care and attention and appropriate steering and braking etc., and represent a reduced crash risk. (also the Hyundai has a handbrake I could grab in emergency, and I could throw it out of gear too). Now he has shown a degree of common sense and good control I am letting him learn in KitKat (my TM3P+). He has unsurprisingly noticed a world of difference between the two cars.

Up till recently he has teased me mercilessly for three years about being a "Tesla Fanboy". "Totally obsessed" he would say. "It's just a car." and "Take an Uber instead!".

Now he has driven KitKat for a couple of hours, and had a couple of launches on Chill mode, he is so impressed he has agreed he is now a Fanboy too, and will "Definitely buy a Tesla as soon as I can".

Now he suddenly found a damned good reason that he needs to get a job and earn some serious money!!!

He is aiming to "buy a better Tesla than you Dad, so I can beat you whenever I want to".
Dream on son!

First - get your licence!!

Teaching my son to drive. I've now got my son hooked on Tesla.
In NSW, every single Tesla variant is on the banned list of high performance vehicles and illegal to be driven unless the driver has a full, unrestricted licence. I could teach my kids to drive on my Model 3 (but I won’t - they can learn on the LEAF) but once they are on their P’s - no Tesla.

What is the situation in WA?