Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far the only consistently working voice commands for me have been "Navigate home", "Navigate to work" and "Navigate to ...(some public location like shops, cinema, beach)". All other voice commands have been very random at working. Also I have noticed that if I set a favorite map location, navigating there usually does not actually navigate me there but some other place within a kilometer from there and usually to get to the place I wanted to go, I will need to deviate from route recommended by car as it is not actually taking me where I saved the location as favorite. However any lack in the navigation accuracy and voice commands the car well makes up for in the driving factor. It is awesome to drive.

I just say "take me home" (for the past 4+ years on an S, 3 and X) and always works ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Hungry Mile
Got 20.4.1 yesterday. Yep lane change and on/off ramp exits works well now. Also car used to sit in middle lane now quite happy in left. Also voice command now works better... wouldn't recognise "set temperature to 20" before. Can't seem to get "create new text message" to work though... Id be interested in any other handy voice commands people use regularly?

How about "send text"

First major post here, the last 6 weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind & I didn’t even have time to post in the VINLess thread.

My whirlwind started on 20th December when I placed an order for a LR AWD (blue), fully expecting a delivery in March – which was fine as it gave me time to sort of finance & ensure my wife had taken a test drive too!

In between Christmas & New Year Telsa Melbourne called me to say that they have a car that matches my order, and would I like it early (as they knew I was prepared to wait) – I declined as I still needed to sort finance etc. So, early in the new year, I sent off my finance application (10th Jan) and then on Mon 13th the finance was approved and the finance company requested an invoice from Tesla – as soon as that email was sent I was allocated a VIN (Mon 13th). Assuming it was the same LR AWD I was offered 2 weeks earlier.

Thought – maybe getting your finance approved early will bump you up the list.

Slight panic, as my wife still hadn’t been for a drive – which we managed to squeeze in on 23rd Jan, after work – Tesla at Chadstone now allow evening test drives & you get to go on your own!

The only confusion came with the delivery date – first they stated it would be another 2-3 weeks as the car wasn’t ready and then the next day it was ready, and I could have the car at the end of the week!

So, delivery happened on Friday 31st January (only 42 days from order inc Christmas etc) – a 45-degree day in Melbourne. Handover was great, I was there 50 minutes and didn’t feel rushed (helped not being the end of quarter obviously) – all the basics were explained (which was still required even after hours of Youtube). The car was charged to 90%. The only issue was a strange mark/scratch on the charge port and the light next to it – photo’s taken & mobile appointment made.

Initial impressions – smooth, fast & a joy to drive. Air con worked well in the Melbourne heat – car was very cool (roof was hot but only noticeable if I touched it), auto wipers worked great in the rain this morning & the auto lights came on during the rain (which was a frustration with my old ICE car). Only charged once at home with the mobile connector – HPWC to be installed later this week (hopefully). Only frustration is minor, can’t seem to get a hang of the radio – if I can’t see a station list how do I add?

Sorry to all those that are still waiting & ordered way before me and sorry for the long post – just wanted pass on my experience.

Just wondering if anyone else has an issue where they are unable to raise the angle of their rear vision mirrors high enough.

I'm not overly tall at 182 cms, I drive with the seat at it's lowest position but when I try to raise the mirrors they reach an end stop which is still quite a bit lower than I'd like. I'm used to lowering my head to look rearwards but it's not ideal.

I guess my question is, is this the same on all Model 3's or is it something I should get fixed?

Just wondering if anyone else has an issue where they are unable to raise the angle of their rear vision mirrors high enough.

I'm not overly tall at 182 cms, I drive with the seat at it's lowest position but when I try to raise the mirrors they reach an end stop which is still quite a bit lower than I'd like. I'm used to lowering my head to look rearwards but it's not ideal.

I guess my question is, is this the same on all Model 3's or is it something I should get fixed?
I’m 183 and I’m not having this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: BarnabySydney

They only barely come up high enough. You can try moving them in, then raising them, then moving them out, to see if it gets them any higher.

Well, I am 188 cm tall and had similar issue when I bought the car. I could not get the mirrors to good position even with the help of the sales person when picking the car up, so I went with the same suggestion that @Shallowal is offering to move the mirrors in, then move them as high as needed and them move them out again. They will not go as far out as I would like but they are mostly usable. I have learned to check the mirrors, do shoulder check, then check the car image on the screen for detecting cars next to mine before any lane change or turn. I know it is annoying having an extra step and not being able to get the mirrors to the spot where they would be comfortable and not cover half the mirror with the side of the car. Specially considering that Elon is the same height as me 188 cm, so should have come up with the same issue, but I suspect he uses full self drive and does not bother with mirrors.

Reactions: baillies
Ran through many of these with a 2% success rate.

A few weirder ones, like 'my butt is cold', actually worked, while many others that I'd expected to work, like 'show rear camera', were unknown and failed no matter how I phrased it. For me it's more a list of commands my car can't do :|
I reckon you'll find that if you try it again, many of them will work. Because it's, errr, Wednesday. Or you've just had a cup of tea.

Essentially I've found that they're a bit fickle between uses of the car. I use, "set temperature to xx degrees" as my barometer. If that works, then it seems that all the voice commands I try will work. But some days it just won't work properly, and I have no idea why (and I'm on the latest 2020 firmware too).

I reckon you'll find that if you try it again, many of them will work. Because it's, errr, Wednesday. Or you've just had a cup of tea.

Essentially I've found that they're a bit fickle between uses of the car. I use, "set temperature to xx degrees" as my barometer. If that works, then it seems that all the voice commands I try will work. But some days it just won't work properly, and I have no idea why (and I'm on the latest 2020 firmware too).
Could be related to current network connectivity perhaps?
I found they mostly work OK when it is quiet. So when the car is parked. When driving it is a different story though and get about 10% success rate.

Could be related to current network connectivity perhaps?
I found they mostly work OK when it is quiet. So when the car is parked. When driving it is a different story though and get about 10% success rate.
Maybe - although I only usually try it when I'm driving! The voice command I wish they'd enable is playing a particular Spotify playlist that you've already made.

Maybe - although I only usually try it when I'm driving! The voice command I wish they'd enable is playing a particular Spotify playlist that you've already made.
I am so with you on that Spotify thing. On 2019.40.2.1 the Spotify worked mostly fine for me as I said "play <song name>" and the car started playing it and then automatically went on to play similar music. Since 2019.40.50.7 though it appears that when I say "play <song name>" it searches for songs and includes some tunein radio station names and just lists them on screen instead of starting to play the first one from the list. It is so frustrating.

Reactions: Dave3333
I largely agreed with their verdict, the model 3 is a very good car, but let down by its interior, difficulty in changing some settings on the centre screen, and lack of sound deadening
Interiors are obviously a matter of taste, and everyone’s taste is different, but I really like the minimalist interior. I prefer it to conventional button, knob, slider and switch-laden interiors which now look really dated to me. I reckon the “minimalist” trend will be copied by others.

Regarding “changing some settings on the centre screen” that is a non-issue. One sets up a driver profile while parked, change all the settings to how one likes them, and they are saved against your profile. Job done, and you don’t need to change them while driving. If there really is something you want to change while on the move, use a voice command (if they work :D Tesla will iron out the bugs eventually :p)

Sound deadening is better on 2020 model year 3’s, although not having driven a MY19 I can’t directly compare.