Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before making the final decision to buy, we are waiting to see if Tesla treats the Australian market equitably. It would seem fair that as prices went up when the AUD crashed due to coronavirus effects on markets that prices would now be restored to the previous levels as for the last 3 weeks plus the AUD has been back at the same levels seen prior to AUD drop caused by coronavirus market effects.

Added to the above is that Tesla has recently reduced prices for the same models in the US and China as well as other countries – for factors not related to exchange rates. Is Australia to see those price decreases or are Australian consumers to be treated differently?

In the meantime, we are using the waiting time to consider other options. Is anyone else waiting for a price restore?

Also if finance with tesla at 2.99% atm (previously 3.89%)

if can get the price reduction back to pre corona onSR+ then definitely a win. But if planning a LR or performance then the 2k price rise since will be offset by the reduced 2.99 or same on finance depending on the term taken out

Before making the final decision to buy, we are waiting to see if Tesla treats the Australian market equitably. It would seem fair that as prices went up when the AUD crashed due to coronavirus effects on markets that prices would now be restored to the previous levels as for the last 3 weeks plus the AUD has been back at the same levels seen prior to AUD drop caused by coronavirus market effects.

Added to the above is that Tesla has recently reduced prices for the same models in the US and China as well as other countries – for factors not related to exchange rates. Is Australia to see those price decreases or are Australian consumers to be treated differently?

In the meantime, we are using the waiting time to consider other options. Is anyone else waiting for a price restore?
SR+ is 37990 USD. Exchanged at the most generous rate is currently 55k AUD. Add 8k for the troubles of shipping it here/building RHD/leeway for exchange rates and we could see the Model 3 at 63k before on-roads. Imagine that!

Also if finance with tesla at 2.99% atm (previously 3.89%)

if can get the price reduction back to pre corona onSR+ then definitely a win. But if planning a LR or performance then the 2k price rise since will be offset by the reduced 2.99 or same on finance depending on the term taken out

If they reduce by 2k, let's say, the reduction in the price for the car is substantially more than the 2K. Factor in LCT and stamp duty (from 2% to 4% in QLD over 100k), the difference could be more like 5k for the P.

The cheapest it has been was September last year at 67900 AUD before on-roads.

Close, but not quite.

tesla june 6.jpg

Hello. Hey I'm heading up to the "mountains" early next week, would like to visit Mount Buffalo. Might need chains. But I don't want to buy Tesla chains for one possible snow trip per year. Chain hire place says yeah they'll have something that'll fit.
Now I found surprisingly less than I expected in terms of discussion here on Model 3 chains; maybe people who live where it snows mostly bought AWD models and have winter tyres.
Anyway, does anyone have feedback on chain hire shop's claims? Can I indeed use any low profile-suitable chain?
Off-chance but: anyone feel like renting out a set of Tesla chains for a week? In Melbourne.
I'm aware I'll need to take off the aero covers.
I've a SR+, so rear-wheel-drive only.
Cheers, A.

Interesting development for me, I ordered our M3P (white on white) this morning and by lunch received a call from the delivery team saying my allocated car was in Sydney and will be delivered in 2 weeks. OH CRAP! It was also confirmed it was not the update model.

I was expecting 2 months wait, and as such am not ready for the car. I said for him I'd pass on that car and I wanted to wait to get the update model anyway (wireless phone charger and USB-c).

He understood and will keep me posted on the next ship load coming in. Interesting in that they have non allocated cars arriving / here. Good news for those wanting one ASAP I guess. Might be another reason for them to drop the $ a bit to get things moving again. I was assured any drop in price will be passed on, good stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: Nickdp and Hairyman
Interesting development for me, I ordered our M3P (white on white) this morning and by lunch received a call from the delivery team saying my allocated car was in Sydney and will be delivered in 2 weeks. OH CRAP! It was also confirmed it was not the update model.

I was expecting 2 months wait, and as such am not ready for the car. I said for him I'd pass on that car and I wanted to wait to get the update model anyway (wireless phone charger and USB-c).

He understood and will keep me posted on the next ship load coming in. Interesting in that they have non allocated cars arriving / here. Good news for those wanting one ASAP I guess. Might be another reason for them to drop the $ a bit to get things moving again. I was assured any drop in price will be passed on, good stuff.

I'm also waiting for the new M3 with usb-C and wireless charging. So its possible to turn away a tesla if its not the updated model? Good to know. I guess I'll place an order then.