Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SMS and press embargo being lifted make me inclined to agree.
Paul Maric, the first to receive a press car, got it last Saturday late at night. He said that he was trying to be secretive about picking it up given that people were supercharging, unaware that "there's like 10 of these Model 3s in the showroom". He's referring to either the Melbourne showroom in Richmond or Chadstone. I think there may be more Model 3s in the country than we think, potentially enough for a couple of deliveries since I doubt they need that many for press and test drives.

Can understand where Tesla is coming from, many reasons could delay delivery date, so better to not be disappointed until a firm delivery can be given.
Anyway, it can't be too far away by the sound of the text.
Agree 100% always under promise and over deliver.

The Cap CAPRICORN arrives in aus on the 16th I think and if our baby’s are onboard we could probably expect delivery the week after.

But I’m tossing up on a new S or a 3....free super charging for first owner is only on the S/X

Now we have an X a smaller 3 has a lot of appeal, just been spoilt on the S so unsure if I’ll miss the S too much.....
I was the same. Cancelled the 3. Couldnt handle that small boot opening. i use my model S as a ute far too often.
But that new adaptive suspension on the S now has me contemplating another upgrade.

I was the same. Cancelled the 3. Couldnt handle that small boot opening. i use my model S as a ute far too often.
But that new adaptive suspension on the S now has me contemplating another upgrade.

Adaptive air is a big thing for consideration for me, more than 350kms in a day has limited appeal. However, a smaller car is also a big thing I would like, just worried it’s too much of a downgrade (seats being a big thing).....

Last edited:
From the stuff.co.nz review:

I never understand comments like this. I use the glovebox once a year at best, why bother with a dedicated button, seems unnecessary.
Well a button next to the glovebox is more intuitive than going to look for it in sub menus of a screen, however if there was a voice command to open it, that would make the button irrelevant anyways. So is there a voice command to open it?

Well a button next to the glovebox is more intuitive than going to look for it in sub menus of a screen, however if there was a voice command to open it, that would make the button irrelevant anyways. So is there a voice command to open it?
Opening the glovebox is quick and easy it only takes 2 touches of the screen. Touch car icon then touch glovebox.

I am thinking of having an additional NEMA plug in for mobile charger. (Separate from the wall unit)

As in a 15A plug? Shouldn't cost much more to do, not sure why though unless you are worried about the wall connector failing.

Personally I'm hard wiring the wall connector to off peak power but with a changeover switch to normal mains if I really want to charge at other times. Those changeover switches are not expensive. And I have a generator (our power often goes out for a while in the Adelaide hills) that I can plug the 15A mobile charger into if I really need too.

• Informative
Reactions: Zfactor
Hi All, I reserved back when it was possible (9th May) and ordered a Silver M3 SR+ on the 19th of July for delivery in Melbourne.
I have been obsessing on getting a delivery date and notice that I am not alone :) .
On Friday I got a message in the afternoon, "Your Model 3 is almost here.....more details soon" and I am hoping I got in early enough to be in the current shipment for late August delivery. What do you think my chances are?

Hi All, I reserved back when it was possible (9th May) and ordered a Silver M3 SR+ on the 19th of July for delivery in Melbourne.
I have been obsessing on getting a delivery date and notice that I am not alone :) .
On Friday I got a message in the afternoon, "Your Model 3 is almost here.....more details soon" and I am hoping I got in early enough to be in the current shipment for late August delivery. What do you think my chances are?

Truth is no one knows, we've heard rumor they are getting a lot of cars - in reality even a few thousand cars is only a few days production so why not?

Everyone who ordered got that message! Or at least everyone who ordered and had "SMS" ticked as a contact method.

Speculation is rampant that this means we'll all be catered for in the first shipment, but to be honest I think we're all just crossing our fingers and hoping for the best. Couple of key dates to watch out for though:

1) The official launch is tomorrow I think. I would expect no official notification from Tesla will go out until after that.
2) Another member has posted that it's "quite likely" that a large shipment of cars is on the way onboard the Cap Capricorn, due to arrive in Sydney on August 16 (then allow time for unloading, processing, etc.).

Other rumours are also flying thick and fast! I think they'll get here when they get here...