Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, just as a plan b in case the wall connector fails. Good idea on changeover switch. Will run it past my electrician. By the way (have not received a quote) but the verbal estimate is 1000 NZD for the install.
If you're NZ and have a smart meter talk to meridian about their EV power deal. Am on it with our i3 and it's 8c/kWh 10pm to 7am here in Wellington, no need to muck around with switches and if you can't charge in that window or need a top-up in peak hours just reverts to day rate :)

The best bit is it switches the whole house to those rates, so dish washer dryer and washer all go on at 10pm and our power bill is less than pre-ev and we commute 70s a day ;)

When your forced to wait for the model 3 to arrive, I got bored...

Attachments

• 20190805_171958.jpg
    20190805_171958.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 68
If you're NZ and have a smart meter talk to meridian about their EV power deal. Am on it with our i3 and it's 8c/kWh 10pm to 7am here in Wellington, no need to muck around with switches and if you can't charge in that window or need a top-up in peak hours just reverts to day rate :)

The best bit is it switches the whole house to those rates, so dish washer dryer and washer all go on at 10pm and our power bill is less than pre-ev and we commute 70s a day ;)
Nice, will have to look into that. Not quite so good in Akl, night rate is 12c/kwh.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I just visited a Tesla dealer in Sweden yesterday and they told me the towbar for the model 3 must be ordered before delivery as it cannot be added after delivery. There is no towbar option for Australian orders so what are we supposed to do?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I just visited a Tesla dealer in Sweden yesterday and they told me the towbar for the model 3 must be ordered before delivery as it cannot be added after delivery. There is no towbar option for Australian orders so what are we supposed to do?
For many years, Haymen Reese have developed tow solutions for vehicles to Australian standards. It’s clear the model 3 has been given a tow rating, so i’m pretty confident in saying they’ll release something for our market. I’ve taken the punt, so I’m hoping they have. Might have been cost prohibitive for Tesla to develop and test a tow bar for our Australian standards, for a relatively small market.

... on a bit of a tangent - while we are all waiting (love those "bored" photos, especially the PV charging station!).

Has anyone else felt a bit weird filling up their car with petrol recently?

At my most recent visit at the petrol station, I thought it might be the LAST time to fill her up, but now I believe I will require ONE or TWO more tanks of petrol, before I can kick that habit for good...

Also, just driving my car, I am very much aware that soon it will probably feel very different taking that corner, moving across that intersection when the light turns green or even just idling (how I hate the thought of all the fumes being generated from cars just standing idle in the traffic).

My Model 3 might still only be on a ship heading for OZ, but in spirit, it is already very much with me...

... on a bit of a tangent - while we are all waiting (love those "bored" photos, especially the PV charging station!).

Has anyone else felt a bit weird filling up their car with petrol recently?

At my most recent visit at the petrol station, I thought it might be the LAST time to fill her up, but now I believe I will require ONE or TWO more tanks of petrol, before I can kick that habit for good...

Also, just driving my car, I am very much aware that soon it will probably feel very different taking that corner, moving across that intersection when the light turns green or even just idling (how I hate the thought of all the fumes being generated from cars just standing idle in the traffic).

My Model 3 might still only be on a ship heading for OZ, but in spirit, it is already very much with me...
I’m definitely counting down tank fills, the relationships formed at BP with the cash attendants will be dearly missed...

Reactions: 1st in Line
Meta. I am quoting myself being quoted.

Australia readies for Tesla Model 3 arrival, first photos released | The Driven

Bridie did a good job simplifying the ship situation. I’ve reached out to her re references to Brisbane arrival instead of Auckland. She is going to change.

Weird being quoted in articles. This isn’t the first time either in the last couple of weeks. People just want their cars.

A rep at the Tesla Showroom in Auckland this weekend was told that they are expecting a large shipment into Auckland for a late August or Early September arrival and that it was meant to be mid August but delayed in SFO for 10 days. If you are in the South Island they will deliver to your door, allow 10 days from when the ship unloads to when they are delivered in the South Island.
That would mean the ship is departing this week