Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lead-acids like being kept full, so they will have a long and comfortable life

Why even bother keeping it full? For a 12V lead-acid you're talking ~1.5kWh of capacity (or a bit less). Versus 75kWh in the main battery pack, which will be available in all but the most exceptional circumstances. And in those exceptional circumstances the difference between a full 12V and even a halfway discharged one is probably negligible.

A 12V supercapacitor bank would probably do the job just as well?

yeah tesla dont use heat pumps *reverse air con, which is a shame it wouldsave energy in a particular cold range.

True, but also across much of Australia heating efficiency is a complete non-issue all year round. Seems like more of a Canada/EU (and NZ) discussion. :)

Last edited:
True, but also across much of Australia heating efficiency is a complete non-issue all year round. Seems like more of a Canada/EU (and NZ) discussion. :)

I live in Melbourne, which represents around 20% of the population of Australia and this morning as I left home it was 0C and there was a heavy frost on the windscreen that had to be melted off. Efficient heating is important.

As to why Tesla uses resistive heating rather than a heat pump to heat their vehicles, it is hard to say, but I know that heat pumps get less efficient as the temperature reduces, and the heat exchangers get more likely to ice up, requiring periodic (automatic) deicing. I know that if I ask for a lot of hot water from my older heat pump hot water system, the heat exchanger can ice up so badly that the entire unit stop working (ice is a great insulator). Many other manufacturers do use reverse cycle heating though, so it must be possible.

Reactions: meloccom
Yep, that’s what I’ve read too in Electrek. The factory in Shanghai will be supplying the Chinese market only. That might change in the fullness of time, but it’s not the intent or plan at the moment for it to supply other markets.
Model 3s were also supposed to get smart air suspension...
Full self driving was due 2 years ago...
10K weekly M3 production was due end of 2018...
etc, etc, etc....

I live in Melbourne, which represents around 20% of the population of Australia and this morning as I left home it was 0C and there was a heavy frost on the windscreen that had to be melted off. Efficient heating is important.

As to why Tesla uses resistive heating rather than a heat pump to heat their vehicles, it is hard to say, but I know that heat pumps get less efficient as the temperature reduces, and the heat exchangers get more likely to ice up, requiring periodic (automatic) deicing. I know that if I ask for a lot of hot water from my older heat pump hot water system, the heat exchanger can ice up so badly that the entire unit stop working (ice is a great insulator). Many other manufacturers do use reverse cycle heating though, so it must be possible.

yep for most of south island NZ and you a heat pump would be more efficient (-10 to 15c range) for somewhere like Canada/Norway perhaps not as its often too cold for it to be as effective

Efficient heating is important. As to why Tesla uses resistive heating rather than a heat pump to heat their vehicles, it is hard to say, but I know that heat pumps get less efficient as the temperature reduces, and the heat exchangers get more likely to ice up, requiring periodic (automatic) deicing. Many other manufacturers do use reverse cycle heating though, so it must be possible.
Yep, heat pumps are definitely more efficient than resistive heating down to 0°C or just below, but at colder temperatures resistive will be more efficient. It would be possible to have both, and switch over to resistive once the outside temperature falls below some level.

The original 2011-12 LEAF has resistive heating and it’s an absolute power hog (I should know, because I’ve got one). But subsequent LEAFs use heat pumps. I think most other BEVs on the market now also use heat pumps for efficiency reasons. It’s quite odd that Tesla doesn’t, given their focus on being the innovator, the BEV technology leader, and their focus on overall efficiency.

My delivery pushed back second time, now 12 September, delays due to 12v battery

Attachments

• Delivery appt changed again.png
    Delivery appt changed again.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 64
who?

The resistive heater is most likely due to cost. Less maintenance, cheaper, and feels like it heats quicker
Recent Nissan Leafs, Audi E-tron, Jaguar IPace, Mercedes EQC to start. I think that even the new Vauxhall eCorsa uses a reverse cycle system. I think that Tesla is one of the few still using resistive heating, but it may be for a very good reason, since Tesla are also one of the most efficient EVs on the market!