Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is informative regarding RCD requirements for home chargers: Supercharge your safety with NHP's electrical vehicle chargers

Has anyone got a copy on AS/NZ 3000:2018 wiring rules appendices that they could check and possibly share?
I think that the key thing from the page that you linked is that:

If an electric vehicle charger cannot ensure disconnection [in the case of DC > 6mA ground fault], a Type B RCD is specified in AS/NZS 3000:2018 Wiring Rules Appendix P.

The Tesla HPWC definitely detects ground faults since it has a bunch of error codes that get thrown when they happen, does this shut off current at less than 6mA?

I've been through earthquakes, I'd be keen if it wasnt expensive. 75kwh car + home/solar and perhaps a battery is a very good off grid solution
Personally have not had dire need for this. I do have solar on the roof. It is not something that would be critical for me, but I would love to have at least the option for V2G in case of emergency.
Since the installation of solar my power bills have been about $100 per quarter or $400 per year.(that is basically the connection fee) This will go up a little once the car arrives, but for a PowerWall to actually pay for itself, would still take too long. Over the last 2 years I have had only 2-3 power outages each lasting less than an hour, for those situations having V2G option would be perfect.

I got the call!
Sept 23rd Sydney (Alexandria) pickup.
Day 1 order, Day 1 reservation.
P-
488XXX VIN
He said that is the first possible day my car could get from the ship to delivery.

I still find it kinda of bizarre that they call to arrange a delivery for late VINs like 488 and even some in 500s for an end of September delivery but there are tonnes of Cap Capricorn VINs that arrived in mid August that presumably would be a lot more certain in terms of guaranteed delivery but don't have anything arranged.

Can anyone figure out the reasoning there? Surely the cars that have already spent 2+ weeks in the Country and with auto nexus would be a lot closer to organising a set delivery than booking people in nearly 3-4 weeks away with later VINs with cars that are barely here? Did something maybe happen to some of the Cap Capricorn cars?

I can't see any logic in how their system works ..

I still find it kinda of bizarre that they call to arrange a delivery for late VINs like 488 and even some in 500s for an end of September delivery but there are tonnes of Cap Capricorn VINs that arrived in mid August that presumably would be a lot more certain in terms of guaranteed delivery but don't have anything arranged.

Can anyone figure out the reasoning there? Surely the cars that have already spent 2+ weeks in the Country and with auto nexus would be a lot closer to organising a set delivery than booking people in nearly 3-4 weeks away with later VINs with cars that are barely here? Did something maybe happen to some of the Cap Capricorn cars?

I can't see any logic in how their system works ..

My assumption is that not all people that ordered a Model 3 are in this forum, or updating the VIN tracker.. So likely most have been allocated - we just don't know about it.

The other point is, from our understanding the ships come in with certain configurations of configs, and they then match them to orders once they get here (by going down the list of orders sorted by reservation date until a match is found), so it could be that there is a colour / type combination that isn't popular - and there are a few cars un-allocated as a result - although with the limited options in the early configs I find that a bit hard to believe.

Reactions: Vedaprime
There is a 12V battery issue that is still being worked through...

Wouldn't the later series cars be expected to have the same issue (same battery, same transport process, issue wasn't discovered until after the later-series cars left on the ship)?

If we accept that the 12V battery issue is legitimate (as opposed to an excuse for some other kind of delay), it seems very optimistic of Tesla to assume that subsequent shipments won't experience the same problem/also need new batteries upon arrival. Though if they're sending a huge batch of batteries out by air (weight prohibitive? I don't know) then the batteries could arrive before the cars and make replacements much easier/faster to do.

don't worry, I am a June 2016 reservation holder and a day one order for a P3D- White, Black Interior, no call, no vin, no idea? It seems to be just a total lottery, still it will be worth the wait. It is frustrating as you base your timings on the delivery estimate (August) and in good faith sell cars etc, just a shame I can't even get a rough guess out of them as to when I might be looking at the car getting here as the staff don't know as I am guessing they truly have no idea what is arriving and when.

@Vedaprime Spoke with Tesla today and looks like I can expect October delivery with that VIN of 51xxxx. Sad but expected tbh, just logistically difficult to make it go any faster I guess. At least I can only be surprised if it arrives sooner.

Was the range 5171xx? White or Black seats?

These 517 vins are strays. Mind of their own. It is the only vin series a bit variable. Almost like a wildcard. There does look to be a batch of white seats from this range bright forward 3 weeks. Makes some sense to do it in the quarter to get some on the streets.

Every other vin range lines up nicely.

Went for a test drive on Sunday afternoon. Drove into Sydney in a Volt.

Regen on the 3 , (tested a blue SR+) , was pretty good . interior is ok.

Feel on the road is good, as far as you can tell driving around the block , down through Mrs Macquarie Chair, and then back again.

Sales person mentioned a price increase this week, is probable, circa 2+ % I asked if that was on all models and she said yes .
Still deciding – LR AWD or SR+ .

No LR AWD available to test, just the Red performance , and the Blue SR+ . Red looks nice .. no whites to check out .

Reactions: 1st in Line