Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was AAMI ok to deal with did they send you to their own repairer or go thru Tesla.

Sent to their own repairer. Outcome was fine, only problem was the wait for the parts. But I'd be wary if it was a complex job, mine was just a bumper (albeit with lots of wires to sensors and stuff behind) The repairers had seen Teslas a couple of times before, and said they were a pleasure to work on compared to some others.

Still no delivery appointment? ;)

Nothing since the SMS...

Current car registration expires 29th September, overseas holiday coming up early October - sleepless nights many...

PS: I heard what you wrote regarding reversing out of driveway. You and MonicaPlease make valid points, and Model 3 does have reversing camera. I still think that reversing out onto a street is dangerous in most situations and I personally try to avoid it. Another argument was that when people try to reverse into a parking spot rather than reversing out of it, this creates inconvenience for other road users. My thought on that is that safety always trumps inconvenience.

Last edited:
The main advantage I could see was that it was easier to get rid of the car at the end of the lease period, if you wanted to get a new one
Not in my experience. If anything it's been more difficult because you're tied into the lease period and at the end you still need to buy the car outright, trade it in or refinance. As for rates as with anything it depends on the finance vendor. They usually fall somewhere between what you'd get with your own ABN or with a personal car loan. Admin fees also vary greatly between vendors.

Looking at buying a type2 cable for public chargers that need one. Quick question, if you had 2x5metre cables can you plug one into the other to make a 10metre cable? Does it work like normal extension leads?

No - you cannot use the T2 to T2 cable as an extension for the T2 lead from HPWC because pins are too short. I presume the same applies if fitting two T2 to T2 cables together.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave3333 and HPSOV
Both Kota and Brotonne vehcles are starting to be delivered.
There are plenty of Cap still outstanding also.

Updated vinship tracker

AUNZVInTracking

thanks again! i saw you wrote a build date of 23/7 for some of the 5171 white interior VINS. Any idea if those have been spread across multiple ships? Anxiously expecting a 5171 but haven't heard anything besides a source VIN and a call about 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
On the Model 3, Suntek Ultra PPF with Gtechniq Halo ceramic coat, which is purposed made for PPF:
HALO Flexible Film Coating
The installer insisted he do the coating himself - he ‘included’ it in the price (probably as he is establishing himself against a much larger player in the area who does XPEL).
He advised to reapply every 2 years & to not use any other applications as it’s totally unnecessary & counter acts the effect of Halo
As for the film itself, he is going to be hiding the seams wherever possible by removing side blinkers, side mirrors, window sills, taillights, etc. I just read in another thread on here how dirt builds up along any visible PPF edges/seams - seriously consider paying extra for hiding the PPF edges
I use a pressure washer - if you allow $15 for a hand car wash, it pays for itself after 50 washes. I have the Gerni top end one which has the soaping mechanism built in, rather than a separate add on dispenser. 7 year warranty:
Gerni 2400W 2320psi Pro 160.2 High Pressure Washer
5 litres of car wash costs $15 at Supercheap Auto when on special:
SCA Heavy Duty Superwash - 5 Litre
You don’t need wax based wash - PPF & ceramic coat negates the need

I intend to own this car for 20 years - if Tesla get the car fully autonomous then that does the job of transport, without polluting

What installer are you using for the ppf?

thanks again! i saw you wrote a build date of 23/7 for some of the 5171 white interior VINS. Any idea if those have been spread across multiple ships? Anxiously expecting a 5171 but haven't heard anything besides a source VIN and a call about 3 weeks ago.

Sorry not clear on my part. Different data sets. Those are build dates on their own. Just seeing what days had AUNZ builds. It is not meant to align to the NZ list. I’ll clear that up.

For 5171 white seats, all I know for certain is that planned production was brought forward about 5 weeks. The white seats can be on any starting with the ships in port now. Some first invoices have been issued, and some tentative delivery calls received before the ship had arrived.

Not in my experience. If anything it's been more difficult because you're tied into the lease period and at the end you still need to buy the car outright, trade it in or refinance.

I don't see how having three great options at the end of the lease makes it more difficult! I've done this type of deal most of my car-owning life, and in one case I ended up just giving the car back, no questions, as the GFC had crashed second hand values way below my guaranteed residual value. If you like having new cars all the time (good if you like to stay in guarantee periods), leasing is about the best thing you can do.

I don't see how having three great options at the end of the lease makes it more difficult!
They're the same as with a loan, only with a loan you're not locked in except by a maximum of $770 exit free which reduces over the term of the loan.

guaranteed residual value
From what I understand the residual value isn't what you get for the car. It's a calculation of the value of the car according to depreciation, other payments are calculated accordingly, and its what you owe at the end of the lease. Maybe if you hand it back it gets wiped off and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

In my case, with my current lease (car two years old at start of lease), thankfully its less than what I would get on the private market but more than for a trade in. When you "hand the car back" they organise "disposal" which is basically a trade-in and if you move onto a new lease it gets built in.

Maybe its just who I lease from but I haven't got the option to just hand mine back and walk away and pivot straight to my new Tesla which is on a separate loan, maybe I should check on that.

They're the same as with a loan, only with a loan you're not locked in except by a maximum of $770 exit free which reduces over the term of the loan.

From what I understand the residual value isn't what you get for the car. It's a calculation of the value of the car according to depreciation, other payments are calculated accordingly, and its what you owe at the end of the lease. Maybe if you hand it back it gets wiped off and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

In my case, with my current lease (car two years old at start of lease), thankfully its less than what I would get on the private market but more than for a trade in. When you "hand the car back" they organise "disposal" which is basically a trade-in and if you move onto a new lease it gets built in.

Maybe its just who I lease from but I haven't got the option to just hand mine back and walk away and pivot straight to my new Tesla which is on a separate loan, maybe I should check on that.

The GRV is what they think it will be worth at the end of the lease. As you say, sometimes you win sometimes you lose as it's just a guess. And as I said, it saved my arse when the market crashed in the GFC and I saved about 10k by just handing it back than buying it or trading it. It's an interesting "insurance" option.

I guess not all leases are the same - and I am originally from the UK so things were a bit different there.

The GRV is what they think it will be worth at the end of the lease. As you say, sometimes you win sometimes you lose as it's just a guess. And as I said, it saved my arse when the market crashed in the GFC and I saved about 10k by just handing it back than buying it or trading it. It's an interesting "insurance" option.

I guess not all leases are the same - and I am originally from the UK so things were a bit different there.

Nice. Yeah, we got less of a hit from GFC and there were incentives etc to prop up the market. I think basically my options for example are to break my lease when I get the Tesla, give them a bunch of money, and hope to flog it for more than what I paid (a couple k more than the residual because breaking lease early) or have the car sitting there a few months and hand it back when the lease ends in March if that's an option. If it's just sitting there it may work out alright as there'll be a couple months with no fuel costs etc. Yeah, it's a tough one.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
I am interested to know the real world range for the P-. I've been planning trips using ABRP and I can seem to be able to go further than 400km on a single charge (100%-0%). I suppose its good to be conservative though.

Real world range depends on many factors, but most important are the driving speed, any headwind, elevation change and A/C or heating. If you need more range just slow down (saving ~20% between 110kph and 90kph).
For long trips where a day charge from AC is required, the time spent replacing the electrons at a charger can be reduced by driving more slowly, to give a quicker journey overall. If a DC charger is available, there is no saving from reduced speeds, since DC charging replaces the electrons fast enough.

First post! Just wanted to share my photos of the Autonexus yard in Port Adelaide. Put my drone up for the hell of it, and ended squealing like a baby when i saw one in the flesh!

For anyone curious, mine is the blue one in the top left... zoomed in on the VIN ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_175620.jpg
    IMG_20190914_175620.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20190914_175644.jpg
    IMG_20190914_175644.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20190914_175714.jpg
    IMG_20190914_175714.jpg
    647.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20190914_175620.jpg
    IMG_20190914_175620.jpg