Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the car a week now and its just great. Despite driving with a very heavy foot at all times, doing pre climate conditioning and AC or heated seats always on, range at 80% charge is always above 400km which seems consistent with claimed. Been charging on the 15Amp socket which is more than enough for us to get back to 80% after 5-6hrs charge for our normal + joyride use. Just got the wall connector installed ($300) and got the Synergy cheap EV rate approved yesterday. However, no one here seems to mentioning the biggest problem with the car.....that is what happens when your better half claims it as theirs? So I made this for those in my situation, or those that are waiting for their Tesla, or those that can't afford one.

Just got the wall connector installed ($300) and got the Synergy cheap EV rate approved yesterday. However, no one here seems to mentioning the biggest problem with the car.....that is what happens when your better half claims it as theirs
Who installed the wall connector? I was going to just go UMC but for ~$300 my arm could be twisted.
Do you have solar? If so Smarthome Plan is a much better deal. Otherwise why don't you have solar haha then solar and Smarthome is a much better deal.
Yeah, my wife keeps telling me she wants nothing to do with car (cost, wouldn't cosign loan etc). I know this will all get cognitively re-framed once she gets her hands on it.

Who installed the wall connector? I was going to just go UMC but for ~$300 my arm could be twisted.
Do you have solar? If so Smarthome Plan is a much better deal. Otherwise why don't you have solar haha then solar and Smarthome is a much better deal.
Yeah, my wife keeps telling me she wants nothing to do with car (cost, wouldn't cosign loan etc). I know this will all get cognitively re-framed once she gets her hands on it.
I used Gorey Electrical Service 9459 6222 who I've used for years. Note, it might have been cheaper if I didn't have get get more space on my board by replacing the separate 2 slot RCD + 1 slot MCB's with combined one slot RCD/MCB's. It was a single phase instal, they did mention 3 phase instal could get expensive. Ya, I've got solar but car will be out and about 6 days a week during prime solar time. I took a look at that smart home plan and in this household a lot of cooking with oven/induction stove goes on at peak time calculated I'd be worse off. i.e. other than the car, main load I can't shift into daylight is cooking during peak time. I'll recalc though and double check to avoid a double meter reprogram fee. Only really installed so can leave UMC in car and forget about it until we need it. If desperate for quick juice though I'd drive to UWA fast DC charger and the rumoured soon to open Supercharger. Of course a battery is option but I'm waiting till to see what Tesla announces next year with what they are up to with their Maxwell acquisition. Like many here, if battery life/warranty goes out to 15 or 20 years or pay back is around 3 years then will get for sure.

Yeah, my monies come from a small inheritance. I ordered the car, then had the car downgraded by better half ('too expensive'), and now she wants to be the driver on a daily basis even though I am paying. I get to take the train! :( There is much to be said for Tesla marketing as a luxury car. Some times I think people read too much into this. It will be interesting to see what she thinks when she drives it. Damn it, should have gotten the Performance. That would have scared her :)

BTW, will look into new solar plan. EA are killing me with their 50 cents KWh on peak. Ugh!!! Lucky recharge is overnight...

• Funny
Reactions: 1st in Line
For those that are interested, ive been through 4 tolls in the car now and no matter where I place the thing, I have not had it beep once. Tried in the middle of the windscreen, to the left of the rear mirror, the right of the mirror... no luck. Will ring the RMS later and ask to be put on the "tag doesnt work" list
Mine is working immediately to the left of the grey box with the camera on the windshield. I’m using one of the small grey tags about 5x2.5cm

other than the car, main load I can't shift into daylight is cooking during peak time
Thanks for the info re install.

So long as you've done your sums. Off-peak on Smarthome is longer and cheaper than on EV plan. To be worse off with Smarthome over EV or standard plan you'd need to be consuming at least 28% of the power off the grid in the six hours between 3pm-9pm as you do off the grid in the 10 hours between 9pm and 7am. For me that will happen at most three or four months of a year between April and July and then the other 8, particularly in summer more than makes up for it.

Yeah, one way or another batteries need to be a third of the cost per kWh to be worth while otherwise you're better off just paying the RECs (to offset my grid use with RECs would be about $300 per year) unless you really need to be protected from blackouts.

Yeah, my monies come from a small inheritance. I ordered the car, then had the car downgraded by better half ('too expensive'), and now she wants to be the driver on a daily basis even though I am paying. I get to take the train! :( There is much to be said for Tesla marketing as a luxury car. Some times I think people read too much into this. It will be interesting to see what she thinks when she drives it. Damn it, should have gotten the Performance. That would have scared her :)

BTW, will look into new solar plan. EA are killing me with their 50 cents KWh on peak. Ugh!!! Lucky recharge is overnight...

P.S. If your wife asks if you might get on your bike to ride to work instead of driving, be afraid, be very afraid...

Tracked down a fellow M3 owner today (hello if your on here) ran down as I thought he had a reverse light out but he thought that was normal because he has a rear fog light etc.

I have 2 reverse lights and a rear fog light (same light as reverse light) when I reverse.

Which one is correct? Is that a defect on mine or his?

Had the car a week now and its just great. Despite driving with a very heavy foot at all times, doing pre climate conditioning and AC or heated seats always on, range at 80% charge is always above 400km which seems consistent with claimed. Been charging on the 15Amp socket which is more than enough for us to get back to 80% after 5-6hrs charge for our normal + joyride use. Just got the wall connector installed ($300) and got the Synergy cheap EV rate approved yesterday. However, no one here seems to mentioning the biggest problem with the car.....that is what happens when your better half claims it as theirs? So I made this for those in my situation, or those that are waiting for their Tesla, or those that can't afford one.

So I was half way through watching this vid and Tesla called and said my car just arrived. Actually still had the vid playing as she spoke and I was laughing... she said what are you laughing at? I explained the vid she's gone to look it up on youtube.

So this video is a good omen/lucky charm? everybody else try watching it and see if Tesla calls...