Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO Model Y should help Tesla get to the scale where they can significantly improve customer service..

The issue isn't a desire to provide bad customer service, simply insufficient organisation, resources and staff.

The need to be the "right size" and over the hump of rapid growth...it can happen once they are around 2X the current size, that should be 2X the service centres and 2X the Superchargers...

The other consideration is nailing QA for the Model Y...too many problems and they will get swamped again..

How is producing the model Y, a car that Elon predicted is likely to outsell all of the other models by a big margin, going to improve customer service? Because they will make a lot of money out of it? They’ll have to deliver it first and their attempts in delivering the model 3 can only be described as failure of EPIC proportions.

-Calls and emails unanswered, no time to even empty their voicemail box.
-The cars would go straight from the car carrier to the showroom, get some spit on a rag and rub it on the car just as the customer was sitting waiting in the wait room ( I saw this with my own eyes). Cars dirty with literally mud around the rocker panels.
- Customers would receive cars with extensive damage on them and be told to organise their own repairs at the body shops.
-Customers handed cars with no wall connectors and/or mobile connectors and when queried later they would state they won’t have any spare in stock until end of the year. Clearly no delivery checklist in existence when the cars are prepped.
-Customers given 15min delivery appointments with temp staff hired for couple of weeks to complete deliveries that had ZERO knowledge on the car and couldn’t answer even the most basic questions.
-Customers knowingly being given cars with defects and told to organise warranty work via the App later.
-Customers attempting to organise this warranty work only to realise service centres were swamped and next available appointments many weeks away.
-Customers living in more remote areas being told their car will need to be brought in hundreds of kilometres to nearest service centre. One guy in MacKay QLD had a badly water leaking roof and was told to either bring in into Melbourne or Sydney.
-Customers given cars with 15% charge and be told “sorry didn’t have time to charge” and then customer be charged $18 for the supercharger charge they received at the delivery centre while they waited! (Happened to a friend of mine).

And these are just the tip of the iceberg that I am directly aware of...who knows what else had taken place..

None of this fills me with any confidence..In fact to anyone outside of us Tesla Fanboys this sort of delivery experience would be laughed out the door and ridiculed.

Last edited:
Er...yes they do.
Not according to the Chargepoint rep, I communicated with.
"
At this stage there are no plans to upgrade the ChargePoint sites to Type 2 plugs. We do have Type 2 chargers in the market overseas, but at this stage they haven’t been released in Australia. This means any vehicles such as the Hyundai Ioniqs and Tesla Model 3s you mentioned, will require adapters to utilise our chargers."

I also checked Plugshare, and all chargepoint stations are type 1.

None of this fills me with any confidence..In fact to anyone outside of us Tesla Fanboys this sort of delivery experience would be laughed out the door and ridiculed.
The bank I am with now is the best bank I have ever dealt with. Why? Because I never have to deal with them (aside from using their excellent App).

I am hoping the same will be true with the Tesla. Now that I am past the horrible, inexcusably terrible delivery process I have a great car that I love even more than I expected. And having a great car was pretty much the point for me.

Shinny?
The bank I am with now is the best bank I have ever dealt with. Why? Because I never have to deal with them (aside from using their excellent App).

I am hoping the same will be true with the Tesla. Now that I am past the horrible, inexcusably terrible delivery process I have a great car that I love even more than I expected. And having a great car was pretty much the point for me.

Agree. The cars are ridiculously amazing to drive. i giggle like a little schoolgirl pretty much every time I do.

How is producing the model Y, a car that Elon predicted is likely to outsell all of the other models by a big margin, going to improve customer service? Because they will make a lot of money out of it? They’ll have to deliver it first and their attempts in delivering the model 3 can only be described as failure of EPIC proportions.

Not saying it definitely will but the potential is there to open more delivery and service centres have more experienced staff and a less rushed delivery process,'

Most of the Q3 Model 3s were delivered in September, often by staff who were inexperienced.

So with Model 3 and Model Y in higher volumes, they will be able to spread deliveries out more evenly over 3 months, open more delivery locations, and generally get better at doing deliveries.

The need a certain sales volumes to locate service/deliveries closer to where people live.

It will not be perfect but it should be better, and there is probably only one direction in which things can go. But in my case delivery (Brisbane) went smoothly, with no issues at all with the car. Already some teams seem better than others, or some batches of cars are better, or it is simply a matter of luck..

Why wouldn't this apply equally now? They already outsell Porsche in Australia. There is a Porsche showroom in Perth but barely any Tesla physical presence at all.

Yes, it needs time and money to expand service....

Model Y should tip them over into being mostly profitable even with service expansion, when they are not profitable, it is harder to justify expansion..

Reactions: Techno-phile
Model Y should tip them over into being mostly profitable even with service expansion, when they are not profitable, it is harder to justify expansion..
Why is Model Y going to magically make them more profitable compared to Model 3? Is it a much cheaper car to manufacture and distribute? They can't keep up with production as it is and the China factory will likely only be servicing Chinese demand for existing models.

Cheaper batteries (economy of scale) could help but that's not tied to a specific model of vehicle.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Why is Model Y going to magically make them more profitable compared to Model 3? Is it a much cheaper car to manufacture and distribute? They can't keep up with production as it is and the China factory will likely only be servicing Chinese demand for existing models.

Cheaper batteries (economy of scale) could help but that's not tied to a specific model of vehicle.
It looks like Tesla are indeed looking to streamline manufacture still further with the Y, and potentially sell it for a few grand more, so it may well be a more profitable model.

For example, there was a patent application for a one-piece floor pan that came to light recently.

Model Y has 75% of parts in common with Model 3, essentially higher volumes means lower prices for parts..

Initial Model Ys will be higher end variants with more margin.. parts volumes and scale will help Model 3 margins...

Some R&D and admin costs are fixed, more sales volume dilutes these...

They need to make more batteries to make more cars....

A lot of manufacturing equipment has "per unit depreciation," with time and effort Wright's Law comes into play, lowering production costs and increasing margins...

As well they can eventually apply Model Y design improvements to Model 3...

People mistakenly think Tesla doesn't make a margin on each car, that is incorrect, they just have lots of cases where they need to invest money upfront, and payback happens over many years,,,

For the most part what I'm seeing here they need to be able to increase production capacity [you speak mainly of volumes and thus economies of scale] to meet demand regardless of Model 3 and Model Y (currently they can't meet Model 3 demand)

The arguments you are making here are, with the exception of Model Y using Model 3 drive train, exactly those made for Model 3 vs Model S / X. The primary difference being Model 3 is currently and will continue to be sold in much higher volumes than Model S / X.

For the most part what I'm seeing here they need to be able to increase production capacity [you speak mainly of volumes and thus economies of scale] to meet demand regardless of Model 3 and Model Y (currently they can't meet Model 3 demand)

The arguments you are making here are, with the exception of Model Y using Model 3 drive train, exactly those made for Model 3 vs Model S / X. The primary difference being Model 3 is currently and will continue to be sold in much higher volumes than Model S / X.

Essentially I think they are at a tipping point where they are close to profitable as things stand, the big problem was a drop off in Model S/X demand.

Model Y will take some Model 3 demand but overall I think they can grow volumes substantially and that will help.

Most of the service/delivery issues are from being a bit too small, and growing very fast,,,, when they are a bit bigger, business is more consistent, and they are growing slower, it is easier to manage.

Battery and drive-train investor day should detail how they plan to make more battery packs..

Panasonic should be able to get GF1 from 28 GW to 35 GW

None of the other car makers are doing much better with EVs at this stage, it will get progressively easier and more profitable for all,

OK - Somebody has to say it. I HAD A PRETTY GREAT DELIVERY EXPERIENCE, NO ISSUES WITH THE CAR OTHER THAN ONE MINOR SCUFF THAT'S BARELY VISIBLE. I'M COMPLETELY HAPPY. (car was charged to 81% or so, I was not rushed, I was there 45 mins because I took it outside parked to check it over completely in the sunshine (Richmond). EDIT: I just realised my original delivery estimate was today!

Prior to delivery they answered the phone promptly when I called to ask questions - my car was delivered 3 weeks earlier than original estimate. And the car is freaking awesome!

I strongly suspect that the people that did have an issue are louder than the people who had no issues, leaving the perception that everybody hated their delivery experience.

So to even things out - if anybody else was actually HAPPY with their order/pre/delivery experience please pipe up and say so cos this forum is getting a bit depressing.

Last edited:
I suspect its entirely dependent on locality (i.e. Melbourne / Sydney vs everywhere else), spec (SR+ and P- in particular seem to have been pumped out regardless of order date in NSW to meet EOQ quotas), and whether you changed order part way through the process (white interiors for Performance)