Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I SIMPLY do not get the fascination with "Summon". I get what it does, but WHY? Are we so lazy we cannot, having parked in a spot in the first instance, be bothered walking back there because we've now got shopping, or because it's raining? What did we do yesterday or last year? Park in a Disabled Bay so we were close to shop's exit?

Yeah, I also 'get' the new introduction of new technology aspect, but really? This IS just a ridiculous gimmick.

I SIMPLY do not get the fascination with "Summon". I get what it does, but WHY? Are we so lazy we cannot, having parked in a spot in the first instance, be bothered walking back there because we've now got shopping, or because it's raining? What did we do yesterday or last year? Park in a Disabled Bay so we were close to shop's exit?

Yeah, I also 'get' the new introduction of new technology aspect, but really? This IS just a ridiculous gimmick.

its like going to the moon. we dont do it because it is the easy thing to do but because it is the hard thing to summon it.

To continue along with Candleflame's moon analogy, "Summon" is a ridiculously small step for man, but a giant leap towards autonomous driving for mankind...

I took poor Shadowfax on a large deserted parking lot and it really really struggled with Summon. I could almost sense how Shadowfax was taking its first tentative steps towards driving on its own. Like a toddler's legs buckling under its own weight, Shadowfax was not able to process all of its sensory input data into a clear and correct path towards me (Gandalf).

However, imagine how amazing it will be to return to that empty parking lot after each future software upgrade and see how Shadowfax becomes more and more confident and competent in interpreting its inputs and in mapping the correct path towards its rider...

.... eventually, I hope that it will learn to master this simple task and graduate to driving confidently on the roads beyond the parking lot.

To me this is not about the "pick up lazy me on a rainy day", but all about "learn to drive without Gandalf".

Fracking sugar amazing!

Summon and Advanced Summon are a step towards self driving. By themselves they are not particularly useful of needed (besides bragging rights and novelty cool factor), however what they represent (that car will be driving itself) is like a moon landing. one small drive for a car, a giant leap for full self driving cars :)

Edit: @ 1st in line You beat me to it...

Summon will be the ability for your own FSD car to a) drop you off at your destination, find a park, then return to when you are ready to leave. b) to collect you or a person holding the fob (or however the future accessibility is) when a ride is required at some future time.
Not everyone will want a robotaxi ride and summon will be for those who own but don't want their vehicle in the robo fleet.
All the functioning at this point in time is just beta learning with limited use for getting into/out of tight parking spots.

Reactions: Techno-phile
I'm thinking it'll be useful for in/out the garage; that's the only place I intend on using it. Any other place and it would really be just a gimmick.

Look at this in a different way. Tesla is trying to train its vehicles for full self driving and the only way it can happen is owners get out there and play with summon and its limited FSD.

For which the owner pays for the privilege, I'm training the hell out of the non FSD-only stuff
I am training my non FSD version of Model 3 also, I do not believe the auto park and summon is advanced enough to park in my garage, so I have to do that myself. The whole process from the moment the car starts entering the garage keeps constantly showing red around the car and saying stop. When parked, I have about 2-5cm on one side between the wall and the car and about 8-10 cm behind the car to the wall and on the other side the car is about 5-8cm from the motorcycle in the garage. I have arranged the garage so I can crack the driver door to first step open after parking and then squeeze out of the car, but the space around the car is way too close that I would trust the car to park there itself. So that feature would not really give me any benefit.
The first day I got the car, it took me 15 minutes to park it, as I was worried about scratching the car, now after doing it daily for over a month, it takes me 15-20 sec, and no worries. I wish the car computer would learn that quick.

Reactions: Bluebay

Embarrassing confession time...When Apple released the first iPad I thought it was a stupid idea. I recall telling someone that it was an inconveniently sized iPhone without the redeeming quality of being a phone.

I suspect that many of today's staples started life as a ridiculous gimmicks. I agree with you, it is a ridiculous gimmick at the moment and, paraphrasing others, I am looking forward to seeing what it grows up to become.

I do not believe the auto park and summon is advanced enough to park in my garage,
I do see that "bumper clearance" and "side clearance" can be configured for FSD/Standard summon. However, I could not find the minimum clearance that can be configured. As I have a tight garage, I am willing to get FSD, if it will work with clearance available in my garage. Anyone with FSD and using "standard summon" to park in the garage may be able to provide some feedback. Thanks.

Re Homelink, I emailed Tesla service to see if the homelink module could be fitted at the panel beaters while the front bumper is off, and got this rather non-committal reply:

Thank you for reaching out
Parts may be available toward the end of this year
Your details are currently on our priority list for this retrofit so you will contacted once parts are available.

That's sort of true. Bit like remote control for your TV when it's only a couple of meters from your chair.
A good 'use case' would be getting in and out of tight public parking spaces. You know the ones I mean, It's just wide enough for the car, but then I couldnt get out (or back in). I'm sure others have parked in a tight space and then jumped over the back seat and out through the back of the wagon, or come back to the car to find that someone has parked so close, that you have to get in through the passenger door.

Re Homelink, I emailed Tesla service to see if the homelink module could be fitted at the panel beaters while the front bumper is off, and got this rather non-committal reply:

Thank you for reaching out
Parts may be available toward the end of this year
Your details are currently on our priority list for this retrofit so you will contacted once parts are available.

After pushing them a bit, it is now getting installed this Thursday while at the panel shop.

Reactions: Hungry Mile