Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I just changed my order from a LR to SR+ simply because it saves 25k.

But i am still bit concern about the range. Can anyone tell me the range SR+ can hit in reality? I normally have AC on all the time. Thanks guys.

if you like AC then make sure to grt the heatshields to cover the 2 top glasses. they reflect the sunrays straight back through the glass and the difference is HUGE.

As for the range, the difference you need to look at is mainly the travelspeed so the LR has the advantage to charge slightly faster (irrelevant if you got no access to superchargers) and has 100km extra range it can start off with. with supercharger use the sr charges around 20 percent longer i think... bjorn did a vid to compare them i think. also outback driving isnt really possible with the SR unless you drive very little. combination of lack of the 100km extra range and slower ac charging.

id say if you drive 100kmh on country roads in evening with minimal AC use you can probs hit 150w/km with your SR easily. if you drive 120kmh you probably use 180w/km. that takes into account that you wont be able to drive that speed 100 percent of the time.

so thats like 400km at 100kmh and 350 at 120kmh for you. the principal difference in qld will be that you cant really skip 2 chargers (i. e. skip the shitty ones) and that you cant sprint i. e. drive 130 for a bit when you have to stick to 100 to get to your charger. i dont think in real life the difference is as big as people think!

the real crux is when you are in europe and winters are too cold for seat heaters only. then the SR is at a big disadvantage. doesnt really apply to australia imho.

also the predicted arrival range is fairly accurate if you roughly stick to the speed limit so you can roll into the charger at fairly low SOC. i try to not arrive with less than 20 km.

Last edited:
If someone had posted this already I apologise.

I bought my SR+ using a referral in late Aug 2019 after 6 months had past in late Feb 2020, I still had about 1,200+kms left in my loot box. I'd dared to hope that Tesla wouldn't expire my free supercharging kms.

I opened my app this morning and saw 10,040kms on my odometer (much more than I had ever done with past ICE vehicles in that time period). For some reason, I opened my loot box and the 1,200kms were gone :(.

It may be a coincidence but I suspect the free supercharging kms expired at 10,000kms and not after 6mths. I wasn't able to get someone to use my referral in that time.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Hey guys, I just changed my order from a LR to SR+ simply because it saves 25k.

But i am still bit concern about the range. Can anyone tell me the range SR+ can hit in reality? I normally have AC on all the time. Thanks guys.

FYI, I did some testing on an SR+ for aircon usage. Expect to lose 2% (+/- 0.5%) for each hour you have the aircon running. This was testing a few times overnight with 2 people sleeping in the car. The variation is based on inside temperature being warmer than outside (so the A/C was cooling). I would imagine heating would use more juice but I didn't test that.

• Informative
Reactions: Stratman and Anubis
FYI, I did some testing on an SR+ for aircon usage. Expect to lose 2% (+/- 0.5%) for each hour you have the aircon running. This was testing a few times overnight with 2 people sleeping in the car. The variation is based on inside temperature being warmer than outside (so the A/C was cooling). I would imagine heating would use more juice but I didn't test that.
Thanks for the info, mate. It is really useful

Attached is screenshot of part of my account page in Tesla website where I can subscribe for a premium connectivity package. In that it looks like a black trim (instead of wood or white) and a suede/alcantara material. Something new they are planning on?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 6.35.55 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 6.35.55 pm.png
    422 KB · Views: 74
Attached is screenshot of part of my account page in Tesla website where I can subscribe for a premium connectivity package. In that it looks like a black trim (instead of wood or white) and a suede/alcantara material. Something new they are planning on?

it's not a black trim, its the standard (black) interior as evident by the wooden console bar and the normal production cupholders. On the initial Model 3s they used the alcantara from the Model S as they had supply issues with the.... cloth or whatever the material now is.
The weird thing is that a lot of ppl were really upset, that they had alcantara headliners which I personally cant quite understand. Might have been due to the dark grey colour which looks a bit funny with a black interior.

No. They've just darkened out the irrelevant bits. It's to highlight the screen because they're trying to sell you the media subscription. There's nothing to read into here.

Does anyone remember from when the upgrade to have the rear seat heaters for AU$500 became available for SR+ owners? I am not sure if I would upgrade, but I just realised that option when checking my account for premium connectivity.
I don't recall that option being available few months back.